PDA

View Full Version : Resawing

Jerry Thompson
04-07-2007, 9:09 PM
I have some mapel and cherry that I am going to resaw. My bandsaw only goes to 6". I want the lumber to be from 8" to 12". My thoughts are to use a frame saw with a rip blade. None of the pieces should exceed 4'. Can on turn the blade in a frame saw 90d so that the balde is cutting flat for ripping and the frame is vertical? I have head some remark that this is a daunting task but I cannot see why if the blade is kept sharp. I have no saw mills or other folks in the area to do it.
Thank you.
Jerry

John Schreiber
04-08-2007, 12:51 AM
It's doable, but somewhat boring. The only suggestion I would add is that if your saw does not track perfectly straight, you can approximate a straight line by turning the stock around every couple of inches.

A lot of wood was cut before the bandsaw was invented.

James Mittlefehldt
04-08-2007, 1:03 AM
What John said except I set it up in a vise and walked from one side to the other every two inches or so. It is a workout but doable yes, and also as John said not real exciting either.

Mike Henderson
04-08-2007, 1:10 AM
Look into getting a riser block for your bandsaw. It'll add about 6" to your resaw capability on a 14" bandsaw.

Mike

Doug Shepard
04-08-2007, 7:35 AM
I've done it but it takes forever. If you dont mind losing the extra kerf width, cut in from both sides with a TS first which will just leave you with a couple inch strip in the middle to handsaw through. Even that strip will take quite a bit longer than you might imagine.

James Mittlefehldt
04-08-2007, 8:51 AM
Actually something I was once told might also work, assuming you have a tablesaw or access to one. The guy I buy my wood from said to resaw just do as far in as you can safely go from one side and resaw the rest. You have a kerf established that way.

It isn't as bad as you might think to do it the hand saw way just tedious, but if you have access to a frame saw that may be faster, I have never tried one so cannot comment on that.

Sorry did not notice the post before that said essentially the same thing.

Andrew Williams
04-08-2007, 9:45 AM
what the last two guys said, but use a ryoba to remove the inner web. much faster.