PDA

View Full Version : SawStop progress review

Mark Singer
04-07-2007, 6:01 PM
I am making a Zebra coffee table and the long and short sides are of a rip miter constuction. I got out the manual this morning and precisely set the 45 degree miter limit stop. The best way is to try a scrap piece place the miter together and try it with an acurate square....if its 90 degrees your good. It was a little out and easy enough to adjust ...there is a screw on the motor side of the saw. With my board buddies in place pushing down I cut veru accurate ripped miters and by matching the grain ....it looks like it grew together. This is really a qualty saw! Very nice to use ,,,,

Jim Becker
04-07-2007, 6:14 PM
And the pictures of the mitered rips are where??? ;)

Mark Singer
04-07-2007, 7:04 PM
Jim,
I have showed enough pics of how to do stuff,,,,that every body can find threads on how to do:rolleyes:....Because you are such a great guy and terrifuc woodworker, I will take some pics tomorrow. Its a simple enough table to make.....being accurate is the key...it has some exposed joiney and it covers a few things I haven't done before so it is worth posting.

Jim Becker
04-07-2007, 7:10 PM
Mark, one of the main reasons I enjoy looking at your pictorials is the design and what I learn from it, but I also learn from the processes/techniques. Keep on posting! There is no such thing as "enough pics"... :D

Ted Baca
04-07-2007, 7:52 PM
Mark
Just chiming here, I agree the SawStop is agreat saw. I have had mine about 4 months now and just get deeper in love each time I hear the motor spin up. I unfortunatly broke my leg about 7 weeks ago and am just shedding the crutches so I can get back out to the black beauty. On the adjustmenst on the saw, isn't so well thought out. Even painting the adjusters yellow so you can be re-assured that you are on the right nut.
High praise fully justified for this tool.
Looking for those pictures!

Mark Singer
04-08-2007, 12:22 AM
Mark
Just chiming here, I agree the SawStop is agreat saw. I have had mine about 4 months now and just get deeper in love each time I hear the motor spin up. I unfortunatly broke my leg about 7 weeks ago and am just shedding the crutches so I can get back out to the black beauty. On the adjustmenst on the saw, isn't so well thought out. Even painting the adjusters yellow so you can be re-assured that you are on the right nut.
High praise fully justified for this tool.
Looking for those pictures!

Ted,
Very true! I thought I had the correct adjuster because it was yellow....it was the height limit! They should really use different colors for each adjustment and paint the inside of the saw white to reflect light better. It does run well and the fence is very trust worthy!

Don Bullock
04-08-2007, 12:42 AM
Thank you Mark for the update. I'm buying my SawStop on Tuesday after I get back from a trip. I appreciate your recommendation of Eagle Tools. They have been super to work with.

I agree with Jim that we can't get too many pictures of your work.

Mark Singer
04-08-2007, 9:20 AM
Don when your up there take a look at the Aggazani bandsaws.....just for reference:rolleyes: the 20 " or bigger. Say hello to Jesse for me....he is a terrific guy!

Dave Hale
04-30-2007, 9:41 PM
Mark,

You got it right about the Board Buddies. Put them on the SS with the Incra Fence (made my own mounting blocks). Had to split a 10 ft piece of 2 x 6 cedar into 1 1/2" slices to make the frame for SWMBO-ordered trellis. 3 slices with barely a saw mark on them! The BBs kept the stick glued to the fence and after 3/4 of it cut, left the saw running and walked around to the back to pull it through. One portable stand in front and another in the back, the little adjustable ones, for support. Something I didn't believe I could do, but since the wife was out, I thought I'd give it a shot. Flawless!

On another note, about a third of the way through the 1st cut, the saw shut down! I'm freaking, 2 month old saw and all, but I noticed the blade was still up, so the brake didn't fire. Had to get the manual out and thought it was the code to adjust the brake closer, so I did that. Couldn't remember where the brake wrench was, took me close to 30 minutes to realize, 'Maybe it's with the dado brake so I wouldn't misplace it!'. :)
Adjusted a little closer and everything looked good. Pushed the piece to the point of the partial cut and got the flashing again. Long story short, the wood was too damp. Had to bypass the brake (another first) to get it cut.

So, all you SS owners, unless I'm unable to read the flashing lights correctly, wet wood may give you a funny code. Probably me reading the flashing lights incorrectly, but I thought I'd note it anyway.

Back to the original intent, Board Buddies are awesome!!!

Don Bullock
04-30-2007, 11:03 PM
Dave,
How about some pictures of the mount you made for your board buddies on the Incra fence. That's exactly what I plan to do on my SS. Thanks.

Dennis Peacock
05-01-2007, 1:35 AM
And the pictures of the mitered rips are where??? ;)

Yup...no pics....it really didn't happen. :p :D

Mark Singer
05-01-2007, 1:39 AM
Yup...no pics....it really didn't happen. :p :D
Wow...it never happened...tis was done in photo shop...:rolleyes:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=55767&highlight=zebra

Bob Swenson
05-02-2007, 9:20 AM
Mark, Not only do I admire your design ability but you’re a “geterdun” kind of guy. I’m from the “ I’m-a-gonna “ tribe, closely related to the fagowys.
We walk around with a head full of I’m-a-gonnas and never seem to find the start button. Maybe you should change your name to Mark Production Singer.
Bob

Ted Miller
05-02-2007, 10:33 AM
Bob, I think we all have the "I'm a gonnaitice" in all of us...

Mark Singer
05-02-2007, 11:14 AM
Mark, Not only do I admire your design ability but you’re a “geterdun” kind of guy. I’m from the “ I’m-a-gonna “ tribe, closely related to the fagowys.
We walk around with a head full of I’m-a-gonnas and never seem to find the start button. Maybe you should change your name to Mark Production Singer.
Bob
Bob,
I gonna do dat too:rolleyes:

Dave Hale
05-02-2007, 3:01 PM
I think James and Spenser (spelling?) should start their own 'bash the SawStop' thread and play to their hearts content in that thread. ;)

Don,
Pictures of the mounting boards will be coming this weekend.

Don Bullock
05-02-2007, 4:50 PM

Don,
Pictures of the mounting boards will be coming this weekend.

Great Dave. Thanks.;)