PDA

View Full Version : Baby on the way for first time Mom and Dad-Need a rocking chair plan

Scott Taylor
04-07-2007, 4:34 PM
Hey all. Had the 8 week ultrasound this week for our first child. As a new woodworker and a future new parent, I want to give my wife a rocking chair as a mothers day gift before the kid is born.

Problem is, I don't know how to build a chair. Does anyone have plans for a solid back rokcing chair? I'd like for it to be something that I can tie cusions into. Thanks in advance.

Scott

Greg Cuetara
04-07-2007, 5:23 PM
Scott,
Congrats for the little tike on the way. I just finished making a glider rocker for my wife. I got the plans from rockler. If you go to the rockler website and do a search for glider rocker you will find the plans. It is mission style so if that is what you like then all is good. It is a fairly easy plan but you should have a table saw with a taper jig, bandsaw, and you definately need a dowel jig. It is very sturdy and very safe. If you keep your eyes open you may be able to get the hardware at 50% off which is what I did. Just got back from the fabric store today with some foam and fabric so off to the sewing machine to finish this project.
Good Luck,
Greg

Ken Fitzgerald
04-07-2007, 5:36 PM
Scott.......Congratulations on the upcoming event! Life is good!

Scott Taylor
04-13-2007, 1:23 AM
Thanks Ken. We're excited. I now have another excuse to hit the shop!!;) You know, to build the baby furniture.

Charles Bruno
05-15-2007, 8:01 PM
Scott,
Check out the Rocker on the Gen. woodworking forum. The rocker is fantastic!

Bill Wyko
06-12-2007, 5:10 PM
Have you ever seen any of Sam Maloofs work? He offers books on these type of projects I believe. His work is amazing too.

Bill Wyko
06-29-2007, 5:40 PM
I was at Woodcraft the other day and they had plans for rocking chairs for around 10 bucks. Nice chair too. Good luck.

lowell holmes
08-11-2007, 8:56 AM
I'm new to the group. I hope I'm not breaking protocol. Woodwork Magazine ran a two issue article featuring a Craftsman Rocker, a Paul Sellers design. I have built the chair, and it is an ambitous project, but it is one that can be built by a novice. I was a novice when I built it. I still am a novice, less than before. If you need more info, I can identify the issues it appeared in.