PDA

View Full Version : Not entirely OT--tool-related electronics questions (long)

Jason Roehl
04-07-2007, 1:28 PM
Okay, I've now been fighting my P-C drill, charger and batteries for the better part of a year--I'm sure much of this is my fault, but I am trying to remedy the situation. First, there has been water involved. That cost me the variable speed in the trigger of my original 14.4V drill, now replaced with a new 14.4V hammer drill. There is a circuit board in the trigger, and one of the connections had corroded through. A new trigger assembly was $50 (I dismantled the original getting it apart enough to see the corrosion, and there were a few miniscule pieces that fell out--no way they were going back in without me needing lots of therapy).

Last spring, I discovered my charger was no longer working (no light when plugged in or anything--it had gotten wet in the past), so I took it apart. I discovered 2.5 things: one, a capacitor had burst, two, the fuse was blown, and 2.5, a transistor appeared to have gotten too hot (there is a heat sink attached to it that is about 50x the size of the transistor, and there was a brownish spot on the other side of the circuit board from the transistor, about the size of the transistor). So, I replaced all three things. I was back in business, but...

A couple months later, my batteries (pushing 5-6 years old at the time) were not holding much charge, so I had them both rebuilt at Batteries Plus locally. All was good again until last week. I hadn't used my drill much recently, and I had a dead battery, so I put it on the charger, which told me after about two minutes of charging that the battery was defective. Now it's telling me both batteries are defective. Right before it flashes this code, I can hear what sounds like a rhythmic arc in the area of the transistor that I previously replaced, with a buzzing background noise. No caps are blown, the fuse is fine, and, like I said it appears to charge normally for about two minutes. A few weeks ago, I got one of the batteries to charge overnight normally, and it measured about 17.5V, now, to get one usable, I have to keep resetting the charger every two minutes, and I can get one up to about 15.9V. All the cells in the battery measure the exact same voltage, about 1.320-1.321V (I figure my multimeter isn't any more accurate than that, maybe not even).

Here are my questions:

1. Can I test the capacitors on-board? I've tried probing them on the back of the board with my multimeter set to "CAP", but I'm getting readings all over the place, and nowhere near their supposed ratings. I'm guessing I would have to de-solder them from the board to test them as the rest of the circuit is throwing off my readings.

2. How would I test the transistor? My multimeter has a place to do so, but the transistor has 3 leads, and the multimeter's test port has 8 holes arranged in 2 rows x 4 columns. Row 1 is "NPN", row 2 is "PNP", and the columns are labelled at the bottom "E B C E". At least, I assume this area of the MM is for testing transistors, as that click on the dial is "hFE". I don't remember much of my EE days, I dropped out of that discipline at Purdue about 12 years ago, never really getting beyond the very basic function of a transistor.

3. There are 3 terminals to the batteries. The two outside terminals are the ends of the cell chain, and the middle one is hooked to one of the outside terminals by some small thingie. It looks like a small, clear cylinder with a reddish/copperish band around the inside near each end. Small inductor, diode or resistor, maybe? (It doesn't look like the standard tan resistor with the color-coded bands). I don't get continuity on it, it doesn't register as a diode on my MM, and the resistance started at 12.1K-ohms when I first probed it, but was slowly dropping as I held it on there (took about 2 minutes to get down to 11.6K-ohms. Obviously it has something to do with the diagnostic function or over-charge prevention function of the charger. Okay...I just held that component between my fingers: before was 12.25K-ohms, after was 9.5K-ohms, so it has something to do with temperature, I'm guessing, as the charger does tell me when the battery is too hot or cold (but that's not the problem). So scratch this last question--I guess that's an NTC thermistor (I didn't get that far in EE).

Somebody help me before I build something hooked to a lamp timer that crams 20V into my batteries. No Hindenburg comments, please.

More:

When I probed the battery terminals while charging just now, the battery charged from about 16.1V to 16.6V before the buzzing sound started, took about another 0.05V before the "defective" code started flashing, then dropped back to 16.1V rapidly.

Jason Roehl
04-08-2007, 8:54 AM
A shameless bump...are all our electronics wizards on Easter vacation?

Mitchell Andrus
04-08-2007, 9:11 AM
I lost track half way through... I used to design this kind of stuff for short-run production, but..... I make sawdust now. When a cheap tool goes Boing!, it hits the bin and I dig a credit card out of my wallet.

I think there may be a better place to ask for help on this... like an electron-o-zap-ohm-wizards.com forum, or Radio Shack.

I can help you get a splinter out of your finger...

Seriously, charging systems and batteries are serious business. I've seen people get really hurt (or start a fire) when a 10 cent part fries and McGuyver steps in to fix it. My advice, let it die in pieces.

Andrew Williams
04-08-2007, 9:38 AM
Can I test the capacitors on-board?

No. Capacitors must be removed from the circuit to test their capacitance. An electrolytic cap (usually used for power supply filtering) must be oriented in the proper direction. Running current through them the wrong way will cause an explosion.

How would I test the transistor?

You could google the transistor by it's number designation and find out if it is a PNP or an NPN transistor (positive negative positive etc)

Whenever I have to look at a piece of electronic gear that has problems and I dont have a schematic, I start with the main power transformer. This device has to be tested with line voltage applied, so if you don't know what you are doing, don't do anything. It is possible that one of the windings went bad and the transformer is producing the wrong output voltage, which in turn can cause problems down the line. If the rectifier went bad, and is not producing the correct DC, that may also cause problems for the voltage regulator (transistor) and filter capacitors. It is also possible the output of the PS is AC, and that little thingy in the battery pack is a rectifier. This can be verified by testing the output of the PS with your meter.

Diagnosing power supplies is not easy stuff. You need to know exactly where to apply your probes, and hopefully know what voltages need to show up at what locations. Dealing with high voltage (line power) can KILL you instantly, so maybe it is best to just chuck it and buy a new one. If you really must continue, at least do this:

Always keep one hand in your back pocket. This way if you send line current though yourself it wont form a circuit through both hands (right through your heart).

Jason Abel
04-08-2007, 12:31 PM
Take the batteries back to Batteries Plus and tell them to put a new thermistor in. They either didn't change them out or put the wrong one in.

Jason

Jason Abel
04-08-2007, 12:33 PM
Hopefully your local Batteries Plus is better than the one around here. Our local one doesn't have any thermistors in stock and doesn't test/replace them.

Jason
Battery Builders

Jason Roehl
04-08-2007, 6:45 PM
Jason, is there a way to test the thermistors? They do appear to have been changed, or at least one of them--they don't look consistent with each other like they came off a production line. They do change value with heat, as I was able to change the resistance significantly by holding one tightly between my fingers for 15 seconds or so.

Andrew, I'm not afraid of a little voltage--I've been bit by 120V before, not fun, but I tend to learn from a little pain. The PS on this is a large step-down transformer, and I measured the output at 28VAC, with 120VAC in. The rectification appears to take place on the circuit board (two black wires off the transformer, and it looks like just a transformer).

Right now, I'm leaning towards it being the transistor (currently an NTE332, a PNP), I just wish I knew what the original was--this one was a cross referenced one when I replaced it a year ago. The transistor consistently starts to make a noticeable buzzing noise about 15 seconds before the charger starts flashing the "battery defective" code.

At this point, I'm kind of just trying to learn something. I was able to find a new charger online for about $35 shipped, so I'm about to go that route.

Thanks, guys!

Jason Abel
04-08-2007, 8:49 PM
You can test the resistance but the beta value (uncheckable) is what matters for the charger and it is most likely not the right value. The resistance value you mentioned earlier sounds correct so it is the right resistance thermistor. You need a beta value of 3982 for that particular charger. I've had this same situation with PC batteries in the past. They seem to be fine but need to be replaced. In some cases I have gone through a few thermistors (same type) until I found one that worked with that customers charger. PC is horrible from this aspect but it goes along with the job.

Got the thermistors if you want to give them a whirl yourself. Another thing to try is to very very slowly place your battery into the charger. Once the charging cycle starts DO NOT push the battery in any further. If this works it is the thermistor. Can't explain why this works but I've done it numerous times and has always proven out. Be careful if you charge your battery(s) unattended with the wrong thermistor in them. They can be charging at a higher rate than they are supposed to and can over heat.

Jason
Battery Builders

Andrew Williams
04-08-2007, 10:03 PM
Andrew, I'm not afraid of a little voltage

i am

hopefully i will always be

Jason Roehl
04-08-2007, 10:05 PM
Jason, here's something else, since you seem to be centering around the thermistor. Batteries+ used lower capacity cells when they rebuilt the batteries--1.8Ah instead of 2.0Ah--that would make a difference with the thermistor too, wouldn't it?

Also, I did recharge these batteries several times last fall after they were rebuilt last summer, and they worked great. I did break all the leads on the transistor trying to desolder it from the board (cheap soldering iron), so I at least am going to try replacing it since it was making lots of noise anyway. I just wonder how hot it is expected to get--I measured ~140F on the heatsink attached to it (I had used heat sink compound when I replaced that transistor last time). The spec sheet I found online for that transistor suggests a max temp of 150C, so maybe it was okay temp-wise.

Thanks for your replies!

Clint Winterhalter
04-08-2007, 10:31 PM
Jason,
I've got an old PC 14.4 with two dead batteries and a cracked drill housing.
I'm getting ready to dispose of it. The charger works (as far as I know). I'd post a picture.. But I'm not sure who to do that. It's yours if you want it. PM me with an email address and I'll shoot you a photo. If it is the same unit, I'll toss it in the mail if you want it..

Clint

Jason Roehl
04-08-2007, 11:04 PM
Clint--that's a great offer! The model# of the charger is 8604. My e-mail is roehl95@yahoo.com

Jason Abel
04-09-2007, 6:51 PM
The Ah rating of the cells won't matter so much in this case. Could you tell me the model number of the cells they used? I'm hoping they aren't KR-1800SC cells. If so that may be part of the problem. A 1.8Ah Sanyo (Lime Green Color) is a general purpose cell and cannot handle the charge rate your charger puts out (Approx 2.2A). That battery is a good battery for slow charge rate applications (Approx .5A). Hopefully you have different cells. If so a model number would help.

Jason

Jason Roehl
04-09-2007, 7:19 PM
Jason,

Well, they're not the KR-1800SC cells. They're the KR-1800SCE cells made in Japan. :rolleyes: In the 2 minutes or so they do charge, they do not seem to get much warmer than room temp, at most a couple degrees F warming. I did pick up a new transistor today (about to put it in), so I'll see what happens. If that doesn't work, the batteries are still under warranty, so I'll have to see what I can get out of Batteries+.

Jason Abel
04-10-2007, 4:22 PM
My mistake. I missed the E when typing the PN in. They are the wrong cells for power tool batteries. Charge rate on that cell per Sanyo is 180mAh and should be charged for 14 hours!!! It also has an internal resistance rating of 6.5mOhm. A high rate cell will have a resistance of about 4.5mOhm. An example of what they should have used would be a Sanyo CP-1700SCR or CP-2400SCR. I would definitely ask them why they used a sub-standard cell in your rebuild. They will most likely argue but tell them to call Sanyo and ask them for themselves. Sanyo will not warranty that cell when used in a high charge rate application or high discharge rate. Thats the biggest problem with chain stores like B+ their employees know the different size batts but do not receive the training they need to accurately select batts for the application. Not their fault and certainly not just referring to B+ it is a general statement for chain stores.

Jason
Battery Builders

Chuck Saunders
04-11-2007, 2:15 PM
My mistake. I missed the E when typing the PN in. They are the wrong cells for power tool batteries. Charge rate on that cell per Sanyo is 180mAh and should be charged for 14 hours!!! It also has an internal resistance rating of 6.5mOhm. A high rate cell will have a resistance of about 4.5mOhm. An example of what they should have used would be a Sanyo CP-1700SCR or CP-2400SCR. I would definitely ask them why they used a sub-standard cell in your rebuild. They will most likely argue but tell them to call Sanyo and ask them for themselves. Sanyo will not warranty that cell when used in a high charge rate application or high discharge rate. Thats the biggest problem with chain stores like B+ their employees know the different size batts but do not receive the training they need to accurately select batts for the application. Not their fault and certainly not just referring to B+ it is a general statement for chain stores.

Jason
Battery Builders

Dang Jason, you are one helpful fella. I applaud your willingness to share this information with the specific detail included. It is this caliber of assistance that speaks so well for the creek.
Thanks
Chuck

Jason Abel
04-11-2007, 8:57 PM
No big deal. I got to help a fellow creeker and smack one of my competitors at the same time ;) You guys have been supporting me in my business and I am more than willing to give back whenever I can.

Thanks,
Jason

Jason Roehl
04-11-2007, 10:06 PM
Well, I found a good deal on 4 new ones from "that auction site", so those are on their way. That will give me time to deal with that retail place at my leisure. I suppose if they don't give me satisfaction, I'll be shipping them your way, Jason.

Now I'll just need to get some more 14.4V tools to use with the 4-6 batteries I'll have...

Jason Roehl
04-17-2007, 10:11 PM
Well, it turns out it was the charger after all. The new batteries came, and the charger flagged them as "defective" also. So I now have a new charger.

Somebody talk me out of taking the new one apart to figure out what's wrong with the old... :D Curious George has nothing on me....