PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening jigs Opinions please

Norris Randall
04-07-2007, 12:42 PM
Has anyone had hands on experience with Penn State 4 pc sharpening jig.
It look very similar to "vari grind ?sp". I would like to get something to help sharpen my turning tools. Freehand is not my thing.
Thanks for all comments and suggestions.

Bill Bolen
04-07-2007, 2:06 PM
The Wolverine jig combined with the vari grind has a great rating and simple to use. Total cost is about $140 not including grinder or wheels. Try the "around the woods" site. This is a very inventive fellow! Follow the link and choose sharpening jigs for a home-made freebie. Simple construction and a big $$ saver.
http://www.aroundthewoods.com/contents.html#con08
Hope it works out for you...Bill

Bernie Weishapl
04-07-2007, 2:11 PM
Norris I got the 8" slow speed grinder and the wolverine jig from Woodcraft. I also have a long way to go before I try freehand sharpening. This setup takes a few seconds to use when turning and you have to sharpen a gouge, etc. I really like it. A friend of mine has the PSI. He likes it but I don't care for it. I guess it is what you get used to.

Neal Addy
04-07-2007, 2:52 PM
I remember reading an unfavorable review on another site from someone who bought the PSI jig but I was unable to find the thread. Not much help, I know.

I can say from first hand experience that the Wolverine is a great product, especially for folks who are new to sharpening. I've got the same setup as Bernie's. Works like a charm.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-07-2007, 3:20 PM
Norris.....I can't speak for the PSI jig but I can tell you I have the entire Wolverine jig setup and the same slow speed grinder that Bernie mentions. It is a great outfit and a boon for a new turner!

David Walser
04-07-2007, 6:11 PM
In addition to the Wolverine jig, you should consider the Tru Grind from Woodcut. It works on the same principle as the Wolverine, but it takes up a lot less space -- allowing your grinder to be mounted closer a wall or obviating the need to keep the space behind the grinder on your bench clear. Depending on which one is on sale, the Tru Grind is generally a few dollars cheaper. Below is a link to the Craft Supplies' descriptions of the Tru Grind system.

As for the PSI jig, I've seen several reports that it flexed too much when the arm was extended. The flexing prevented consistent results.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?search=action&keywords=woodcut-tru-grind.

Charles McKinley
04-07-2007, 8:23 PM
Hi Norris,

If you have the time and are strapped for cash build the basic base for the wolverine from wood. If you need it buy the fingernail grind jig for the wolverine. One of the great thing about the Wolverine is its simplicity.

I really like my wolverine but wish I hadn't put myself into debt for it.