PDA

View Full Version : DC motor gloat ... oh baby is this sweet

Paul Engle
04-07-2007, 12:11 PM
I got a 3/4 hp DC w/contoler from a refit from our maint shop ( cost me a 12 in bowl ... and like that was expensive :eek: ), controler needed new potentiometer, 4.65$, bracket at machine shop (as no non maint employes can use companys lathe, mill etc now due to insurance thing) along with 1-8 adapter cost me 25$ per hr for the use of machines at locale shop here plus welding and material total = 75$ . so now can creep on down to 5 rpm and will use for finishing untill new chuck gets here I ordered a super nova base to switch off with the G3 and 4 in jaws. I will be uping the motor to the 1236 but first have to make 4" spindle extension for chuck to clear dc motor then can spin up to the 16" stuff off bed at 10 rpm if needed.... I set it up already to check and can only spin 10" dia due to the mtr length.but boy golly that sure was sweet:D just turn the little knob and down she goes....
my next lathe is gonna be DC VS or AC Vector or VFD drive for sure.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=61886&stc=1&d=1175961068

Bernie Weishapl
04-07-2007, 2:14 PM
Looks awesome Paul. Pretty cheap to if all it costs was a bowl. :p

Bill Boehme
04-08-2007, 5:38 AM
Did you turn that thing as shown -- no lathe bed, headstock, or tailstock?

Christopher K. Hartley
04-08-2007, 6:09 AM
Great Idea Paul and great find. You do use it just for finishing, is that correct?:)

Paul Engle
04-08-2007, 10:14 AM
Right now is just for final finishing, this allows me to slow it way down and flow on the final coat with out spinning it off or causing it to run, the piece in the chuck is elm i used to check out the process for the finish coat. I'll get the spindle extension made this week and mount the motor to my 1236 next weekend. Company will be doing more refitting and i should be able to get another mtr/controler soon. all in all i will have 75$ into it but being able to finish off lathe is a real boon ,and the 40 to 1 grear reducer it used maybe avail also for the ac motor , cept the mount is C and the ac is custom base .....Thanks for looking. May you all have a special Easter !!!!