PDA

View Full Version : Chain Saw - Which One?

Kenneth D. Stein
04-07-2007, 12:05 PM
:) I have never used a chain saw but would like to start to cut up green wood. I would be obliged for advice in selecting a make, model and bar length. Thanks.

Joe Melton
04-07-2007, 12:29 PM
Heh, heh. Next you will need a truck, then you will need a storage building, then you will need a bigger shop, then you will need a new house....

charlie knighton
04-07-2007, 12:37 PM
joe you are not suppose to tell him:D

Curt Fuller
04-07-2007, 12:58 PM
Kenneth, I would recommend something like the Stihl MS 310 or 390. They are mid range saws that will handle bars up to 20" with plenty of power. I own the MS290 with an 18" bar and it's an excellent saw but I find myself wishing it had just a little more power when I'm cutting large logs into bowl blanks. There are other brands that are good saws as well but I've owned two Stilh saws and find them hard to beat.

Be sure to get the proper safety equipment and training to go with it. Chain saws can be very dangerous tools if used improperly.

George Tokarev
04-07-2007, 1:24 PM
Get one with a bar a couple inches longer than the swing of your lathe so you can rip your blanks without burying the nose and kicking. Look at the Mfr. advice and talk to the dealer, if you go to a dealer, to make sure your saw has the displacement to handle the length of bar you require.

I'd shy away from sprocket/bar pitches which can only take "safety" chain. Makes ripping more difficult than a nice chisel chain.

Brands? Chevy/Ford/Dodge Husky/Stihl/Jonsered . Same-O. I'm a Stihl, but I'm a heavy user by most standards. Less might do you. Folks earning a living in the woods here tend to follow the three brands mentioned.

Kenneth D. Stein
04-07-2007, 1:38 PM
Ok. Just built a 16x35' turning ship. I bought the truck (ok an SUV). I have a building scheduled for delivery on Friday. Now all I need is the chain saw to fill it - and the time to do it.

Bernie Weishapl
04-07-2007, 2:00 PM
Kenneth I just got the Stihl MS 310 which is 20" 4 hp 59 cc unit. I really like this one. I don't think there is any way you can go wrong with a Stihl. This thing runs circles around my 18" C-man.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-07-2007, 3:32 PM
Kenneth......A few words of advice. Like most things ...in chain saws you generally get what you pay for.......30 years ago I bought a home in central Oregon that had electric baseboard heat. Most of the heat was provided by a wood burning stove in the family room. We were on the eastern slopes of the Cascades and they get some winters there! I went to a local sawshop (like most paper/lumber mill towns, they have dedicated chain saw shops) and I told the guy I didn't want the bottom of the line home owner tree trimming chainsaw. I wanted a pro saw that I would find in the woods being used by a logger. Well....that 30 year old saw is in the shed and though it hasn't been started since early January, I'd bet a $5 that it'll start within 5 pulls. I've had it set for 6-7 years without being started, with a little fresh gas and cleaning of the air filter....it fired right up.

If you can handle the expense, the 3 brands George mentioned are the way to go.

If you can't handle that.....save......BUT...if it came to having no chainsaw or one from the local BORG....well......that's your decision.

If you don't have any experience running one, get the dealer to show you how or find a friend that is experienced and get them to train you. Get the safety equipment that is recommended. Few tools more dangerous than a chain saw!

Good luck with you purchase and use!

John Bailey
04-07-2007, 4:35 PM
I only cut about 6-7 cords of firewood a year, but I've had the Stihl MS 290 for 3 years and it's never missed a beat. Can't go wrong with a Stihl. Unlike Ken, I've used it in the last couple of days because it hasn't quit snowing for the last 4 days and I needed to cut up a few more logs for firewood. We started planting our garden and BAM, we've got about 16 in. of snow.

John

Jim Ketron
04-07-2007, 5:08 PM
I love my 2 Stihl chainsaws!
I have a MS 250 18" bar and a 361 pro with a 25" bar.
I agree with Ken, since this is your first saw buy from a dealer and tell them you have never used one before and let them show you how to properly use one!

Martin Shupe
04-07-2007, 7:02 PM
Stihl, and buy the largest saw and the biggest bar you can afford!

Pat Salter
04-07-2007, 8:53 PM
and then there are electric chainsaws.............................:D

there is much to be said, both bad and good, about them. my favorite reason is that you can use them indoors without worrying about them fumes.

something else to think about :rolleyes:

Christopher K. Hartley
04-08-2007, 7:00 AM
joe you are not suppose to tell him:DCharlie, ya really have to watch that Joe, he'll let the cat out of the bag every time!:eek: :D :D :D Kenneth, Stihl, I have the 260 Pro 20" bar and love it!:)