PDA

View Full Version : Too much time on their hands?

Larry Browning
04-07-2007, 8:47 AM
I stumbled upon this picture. I think this guy had too much time on his hands. Or maybe I do, because I found this picture in the first place.

http://www.mcgregorint.com/bikers/Images/Pictures%204/Wooden%20Harley.JPG

Tim Malyszko
04-07-2007, 8:59 AM
Doesn't everyone have a hand crafted soft tail wood chopper?

That is totally freakin' amazing. I cannot even begin to imagine the time one put into such a project. You would think a lot of it was done on a CNC, but who knows. If you have any additional information, please post.

Thanks.

Per Swenson
04-07-2007, 9:01 AM
Larry, with all due respect, its art.

Art is timeless.

Besides when it sells it will sell for 4 times the cost of a real one,

if not more.

Per

Tom Fortier
04-07-2007, 9:19 AM
I'm just amazed it doesn't leak oil:D

Ken Fitzgerald
04-07-2007, 9:43 AM
The skill, foresight and good luck it takes to do something like that just amazes me!

Jim Becker
04-07-2007, 10:19 AM
It's actually some pretty amazing woodworking...

Richard Niemiec
04-07-2007, 11:19 AM
What Per said.

rn

Ben Grunow
04-07-2007, 2:28 PM
Looks like a lot more woodgraining (paint over metal) than wood working to me. Does anyone know if it is really wood?

John Schreiber
04-08-2007, 1:33 AM
I think the problem is that some people spend their money on on art like this. There is no denying that this is a very impressive piece of wood working. And I'll bet the profit margin beats anything any of us do hands down.

That it looks silly is just my opinion.

If you want a motorcycle, make a motorcycle and ride it.

Pat Zabrocki
04-08-2007, 2:42 AM
Harleys don't leak oil.... they mark their territory :)

Ken Milhinch
04-08-2007, 5:00 AM
I think the problem is that some people spend their money on art like this. There is no denying that this is a very impressive piece of wood working. And I'll bet the profit margin beats anything any of us do hands down.

That it looks silly is just my opinion.

If you want a motorcycle, make a motorcycle and ride it.

Not just silly, but pointless.

Per Swenson
04-08-2007, 8:44 AM
Of course every one is entitled to their own opinion.

When I get done, lets see if we add Art to Religion and Politics

in the subjects banned in the TOS.

All Art is a celebration of the human spirit and its point is to

eviscerate a gut reaction. Love it or hate, makes no matter.

You noticed. Art affected you one way or another, so the artist

was successful. Either way far from pointless.

But your opinion without explanation is hardly fair to the reader.

How is one to understand your view and by extension your

appreciation of Art in general? Are you saying that Art is pointless?

If so, I must ask, do you consign yourself to making Stalinesque wood

box's with no embellishments? See, I don't get it.

I look at that motorcycle and see both the time and love invested,

the dedication to craft and subject and I became awed and envious.

The definition of how our brains define beautiful.

That's me.

Per

Ed Costello
04-08-2007, 8:57 AM
Well said Per.........I have come to respect most art and come to disrespect most art dealers.............

Cheers,
Ed

Jeffrey Makiel
04-08-2007, 9:10 AM
Wow! That' neat!

The artist/woodworker must be very gifted. Most of those parts must have been all hand carved. I bet a lot of folks would be willing to pay dearly for it...assuming that one can part with it.

-Jeff :)

Greg Koch
04-08-2007, 9:27 AM
I've seen it in person...it is wood. It was on display in Bellevue Square, a local shopping mall. In fact, that pic looks like it just might have been taken there.

It is very impressive, especially when you take a good long close look at it...in the flesh!

Per Swenson
04-08-2007, 9:33 AM
By the way,

Did anyone notice the frame is a revolver?

Per

Tim Devlin
04-08-2007, 10:54 AM
Not just silly, but pointless.

Likewise this post...

If we all built things for purpose only, then our houses would be full of boxes with drawers...but we all try to make a design that compliments our other furnishings, or something that is just more asthetic to the eye. The artist here has done the same, and with far more skill than most people in the world...at the level that most would call a "gift". Regardless of opinion (read Per's entry) he has recognized his gift and shared it...

Ed Bamba
04-08-2007, 2:07 PM
By the way,

Did anyone notice the frame is a revolver?

Per

what about the male bovine dangle berries-shaped gas tank?:eek:

Gary Herrmann
04-08-2007, 2:21 PM
I think its awesome. If I had millions I might buy something like that. 'Course it would be more fun to learn how to do it myself.

Maybe put some ebony veneer in the shape of a puddle under it...

Larry Browning
04-08-2007, 2:29 PM
when I posted this link, I was wanting to share what I thought was an amazing piece of woodworking. Never in my wildest imagination did I think it would spawn a debate over the value of art in our society.
Hey, let's just enjoy it for what it is, a beautiful piece that shows great craftsmanship to create.

John Bailey
04-08-2007, 2:52 PM
For those of you that have the book, Setting Up Shop, by Sandor Nagyszalanczy, take a look at page 35. Michael Cooper looks like he does this kind of work, if not the same piece.

John

John Schreiber
04-08-2007, 3:23 PM
. . . Never in my wildest imagination did I think it would spawn a debate over the value of art in our society. . . . Nothing wrong with a good debate over the value of art. Many good points have been made.

I responded off the cuff and in a bit of a curmudgeon mode thinking of all the money spent on art in comparison with the needs I know of.

A lot of art just depends on what you like. I can appreciate beauty in utilitarian pieces whether the piece is a coffee table or a motorcycle. I also enjoy many purely ornamental pieces. However, a stylized, ornamental, full-size, unridable motorcycle, does not appeal to me. None the less, it shows great craftsmanship.

And yes, as Ed said, the "tank," whatever it holds, is eye catching and evocative.

Dennis Peacock
04-08-2007, 5:27 PM
That's one cool piece of wood art that is a reflection of a nice "ride". :D

Roy McQuay
04-08-2007, 5:40 PM
Of course every one is entitled to their own opinion.

When I get done, lets see if we add Art to Religion and Politics

in the subjects banned in the TOS.

All Art is a celebration of the human spirit and its point is to

eviscerate a gut reaction. Love it or hate, makes no matter.

You noticed. Art affected you one way or another, so the artist

was successful. Either way far from pointless.

But your opinion without explanation is hardly fair to the reader.

How is one to understand your view and by extension your

appreciation of Art in general? Are you saying that Art is pointless?

If so, I must ask, do you consign yourself to making Stalinesque wood

box's with no embellishments? See, I don't get it.

I look at that motorcycle and see both the time and love invested,

the dedication to craft and subject and I became awed and envious.

The definition of how our brains define beautiful.

That's me.

PerYou surely must realise they were stirred enough to post a response, though they tried to convey the whole thing was a waste of time:)

Per Swenson
04-08-2007, 6:06 PM
You surely must realise they were stirred enough to post a response, though they tried to convey the whole thing was a waste of time:)

Roy,

I said,

" You noticed. Art affected you one way or another, so the artist

was successful. Either way far from pointless."

So yes, clearly.

Per

Pete Brown
04-08-2007, 7:43 PM
Amazing! I didn't realize the frame was a revolver until I read it in a later post. That's a neat detail.

I also do some model working, so I've been equally impressed by people who can build things like real working steam engines that can fit on a dime. Pointless? Perhaps, but I don't think a point is required :)

Thanks for posting the link

Pete

Jason Roehl
04-08-2007, 8:06 PM
Very, very impressive. There's a lot of art I can't stand (and much more I don't really consider art for that matter), but if I had the disposable income to afford this, or the tools, time and experience to make one similar, I could see having one. I think one thing that is clear is that whoever made it, enjoyed doing so.

Ben Grunow
04-08-2007, 9:34 PM
It apparently is all wood so I must retract my dry, doubtful statement.

Who is this Art guy? My neighbors name is Art and nobody understands him either. Maybe all men named Art are misunderstood?

Ben