PDA

View Full Version : Cordless Combo Kits

Jim McLeod
04-07-2007, 7:16 AM
Hey all,
After about a week straight of reading as much on the todays current cordless selections, and advice I recieved thankfully from this site, I have narrowed it down to 3 selections. Seriously considering a 2 piece combo kit. Drill and impact driver. My selections are from Dewalt---Model DC988IA. Best price so far was $280.25 from tool up. Second was Makita----Model MXT200 from gotgreattools for $274.99. Third is also a Makita--- Model LXT202 also from Toolup at$319. Prices include shipping. I think? Going combo because its not that much more for the 2nd tool and have read some good things on impact drivers. Any thoughts or reccomendations {or better prices} would be greatly appreciated. Still concearned about the LI-Ion longevity. Thanks all.

Bob Aquino
04-07-2007, 11:14 AM
Couple of things to think about. Most of the combo kits only come with 2 batteries. If you plan to go beyond 2 tools, or even with just the 2, its not enough. Other thing is that some of the other tools besides drills and impact drivers are really handy. I started out with a Bosch drill and the small circular saw, paid about 200 about 2 years ago. Picked up their cordless jigsaw off ebay and then started collecting batteries. I am up to 5 right now. Many times I am outside working with three of the tools and you dont want to have to wait on a fresh battery. Only thing I wish I had now was a second charger. Even in the shop I tend to pick up the cordless tool since its one less cord to deal with.

Jack Dickey
04-07-2007, 10:35 PM
I got one of the 18 volt DW kits when they first came out , not the new battery type , along the way I picked up a couple extra tools and batteries .. I have been well pleased with mine considering all the abuse I give them ..
IMO the skilsaw is the most useless thing they created .. Will run a battery down in a matter of minutes .. I havent had a need for a second charger , but the extra battery is very handy to have around .. My batteries need a rebuild soon ..

Some say the new DW stuff isnt of the quality that they once were , but I dont know that for certain ..