PDA

View Full Version : Router rules

Karl Stewart
04-06-2007, 10:59 PM
I have taken on a project to make some kitchen cabinet doors out of maple. I bought some matching bits, put them in and did some test runs. It's very new to me and so far so good. One bothersome result were some burn marks. I think they were mostly from feed rate issues.

A few questions for the [vastly] more experienced....

When making a lot of stiles and rails is it best to run long lengths and cut to size, or to size and then rout?

What's the best way to avoid burn marks [fyi 2.25 Porter Cable, new bits, .5" shank]

What's the best speed for 1.25" diameter bit?

All $.02 appreciated. Please add any thoughts. I don't think I've bitten off too much as I have 14 doors and drawers with no due date and open check book. I've always been a better sales person than wood worker.

Karl

Nissim Avrahami
04-07-2007, 5:51 AM
Hi Karl

I'm only an amateur and can answer only your two last questions.

As I know, the burn marks are result of the bit spending too much time over a point (or too slow feeding). What I usually do is, I don't route all the depth at one pass but leave some 1/64", or less, for the last pass, that way, I can feed faster and remove the burn marks (especially on the cross-grain sides).

As for the bit speed, have a look at this chart
http://www.newwoodworker.com/ref/rtrbtspds.html

I hope that more experienced members will pop-in for better advises.

niki

Tim Malyszko
04-07-2007, 6:39 AM
When making a lot of stiles and rails is it best to run long lengths and cut to size, or to size and then rout?

First, I'd like to clarify that I've only been making raised panels for a few months now, but trial and error have taught me a few things.

I tried your method described above at first, but actually got better results when I create the rail end cope cuts before cutting the stick cuts. Because of this, I cut the pieces to size first, then cut my coped ends followed by the stick cuts on the rails and stiles.

What's the best way to avoid burn marks [fyi 2.25 Porter Cable, new bits, .5" shank]

Like Nissim said, when I make my last pass, I take off 1/64" or less material, which allows me to pass the material over the bit easily, virutally eliminating all burn marks.

What's the best speed for 1.25" diameter bit?

I run my router around 11,000 RPM's when making raised panels.

Good Luck.

Joe Chritz
04-07-2007, 12:10 PM
Tim's got the idea for you.

Cut, cope, stick. Wash, rinse, repeat. Everyone does it just a little different and they are all correct.

Lots of people cut their rails to twice + the width, cope both then rip to width. I usually gang plane all the stiles and rails to get consistant widths so I don't.

Maple is bad for burning and chipping so take a couple passes.

Joe