PDA

View Full Version : Disston No. 12 help

Charles McKinley
04-06-2007, 10:33 PM
Hi All,

I picked up some tools for the munchkins from an ad on Craig's List and there was a pretty nice Disston no. 12 in there. The etch is decent. I can read it even though I haven't cleaned the saw at all. I believe that it was made between the late teens and mid twenties. The problem is the saw was shortened at some time in the past. I would like to clean it up, sharpen it and sell it. What would be the best way to fix the tip? I was thinking draw a 90 degree line from the teeth and slowly grind it back until it looks presentable.

Thanks for the help,

Mike K Wenzloff
04-07-2007, 12:23 AM
Hi Chuck,

Disstons mostly had a subtle concave end and the top corner slightly leans forward. But 90 to the toothline is fine to me. State that you fixed the break so the purchaser doesn't have a surprise.

You can carefully grind it, but a file will make short work of that break as well. If you use a file, draw the line to file to and place it vertically in your bench vise. Leave just enough sticking up to file it comfortably.

Take care, Mike

Ray Sheley
04-07-2007, 7:32 AM
If you can get your hands on another 12 you could trace the end profile to provide the line to trace to.
If the upper corner is the important profile, back up the second 12 until you get enough steel exposed on the 12 to be cut throughout and set the upper corner edge. Since where you cut the danaged 12 will most likely be wider you will have to freehand the bottom of the profile to match.

Charles McKinley
04-07-2007, 9:12 PM
Thanks Mike,

I'll try to file first.

Hi Ray,
Doubt I come across another no. 12 any time soon. :(

Bob Smalser
04-08-2007, 6:08 AM
Want me to mail you a No. 12 tip pattern?

Shortening well-worn and pointed 26-inchers into panel saws is a common method to get more life from them. Stick to the grinder, using the tool rest to index the saw tip for a square cut. With a light touch, minimum stoning is required for a perfect job.

Charles McKinley
04-08-2007, 9:43 PM
Bob that would be great!

I'll send you my address.

The saw will be about 21 7/8 inches long after I clean up the tip and about 2 inchec high at the tip.

Bob Smalser
04-09-2007, 11:31 AM
I mailed a full-length pattern of a #112 skewback as well.

There aren't many 26-28" worn-out, pencilpoint saws that can't be given more life by regrinding into 18-24" panel saws, and when they've lost their nibs by accident or shortening the saw, regrinding onto skewback ship's saws makes them look like they began life that way.

Good saw steel grinds crisply and curves are easily faired using files and stones. These are easy jobs.

Bill Houghton
04-09-2007, 1:33 PM
If you do any remodeling or other projects where you might be making a cut in tight quarters, a short saw can be a godsend.