PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening jig question

Bill Bolen
04-06-2007, 10:32 PM
I had enough “mad money” saved so I could buy the oneway vari grind jig or the wolverine jig but not both. I bought the vari grind and made my own wolverine type jig using Darrel’s article at “around the woods”. I’m a bit confused about the height setting measuring from the center of the grinder wheel to the base of the arm extension(where the tool handle rests). Most articles, including David Ellsworth’s plan, call for a 4” distance from the wheel center the bed of the rest. Oneways’s instructions call for 6 ¼” to 6 ½”. Quite a difference! Which measurement should I follow? I’m using a 6” grinder and had to build the bed of the rest up quite a bit to get that 4” distance so removing a few shims to return to a 6 ½” measurement won’t be a big deal. I’m thinking there must be some correlation in the distance when considering the length of the leg attached to the vari grind as opposed to Darrel’s design but am not positive. Thanks for any help….Bill.

Paul Engle
04-07-2007, 11:30 AM
William , I suspect it may be the angle you grind vs the dia of the wheel, on Ellsworth gouge if you make you own slider it says to mark a spot infront of the grinder where the leg hits the table top based on chisel set up in the holder at the angle you want and drill a slight hole. I mounted a piece of wood to my grinder base that sticks out frm the ginder and did it there. the jig works just fine. if I have to change angle it is based on where the jig sits not where the chisel touches the wheel, i record the settings on a sheet by the grinder and when the tool needs reground the info is there i can referance the angle to match where the tool sits. It looks crude but is very effective at setting distance with out spending the money. check out the attachment:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=61885&stc=1&d=1175959707