PDA

View Full Version : Earring carousel

David Harvey
04-06-2007, 10:10 PM
In 'playing' with my new 36EXT, I thought I would try out one of my earlier designs of an earring carousel I came up with. It needs some work, but it's functional. Hang the earrings on the carousel and it lets the user rotate the carousel around to select the earrings and provides a some storage for them also.

It's made from 1/8" thk black acrylic. I gave the prototype to our neighbor over a year ago and she still uses it today.

The ETX did fine!

Sorry about the lousy pics though.....:confused:

Carol VanArnam
04-07-2007, 12:06 AM
David, do you mind sharing the file? I really like it and my ear rings would like it also.... Have you made one for your wife?

Frank Corker
04-07-2007, 5:05 AM
That is so cool! The answer to my wife's problems almost, the hours she has spent shouting "have you seen my little earrings, the one Auntie Dorothy bought me..." to name but one!

David Harvey
04-07-2007, 8:13 AM
Thanks. I enjoyed making it. Here's the file if you would like to give it a try. If you do, hope you can post some pics to show it off (better than my crappy pics, hopefully:) )

Belinda Barfield
04-07-2007, 8:28 AM
David,

I really like this! What size is the finished piece? Am I correct that it holds 12 pairs of earrings? Just asking because some of us have a few more than 12 pairs.:o
Maybe I'm missing it in the photo, but is there a cover that flips up (like a large Rolodex would have) to keep out dust. Some of us don't dust as often as we should either.:) Boy, really showing my age there with the Rolodex reference!

Thanks for posting this really neat piece!

David Harvey
04-07-2007, 9:20 AM
Belinda,
Glad you like it. It holds 12 earring sets. In this design there is no cover but one could easily be made from clear acrylic ( like a box) that could be lifted on and off.
One could also change the base and easily create a slide out drawer, felt lined, to hold additional earring sets, etc.
It is 6"h x 6.5"D x 3"w, but this can easily be changed as desired. My original also had stick-on decals of a flower that I print/cut and applied to the knobs (non functional, btw) which dressed it up. Also, on the original, I cut an overlay for the base from gold adhesive backed acrylic mirror. It looked really classy with all of the trim work applied. I didn't bother to do it on this one.

Belinda Barfield
04-07-2007, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the info.

Frank Corker
04-07-2007, 5:47 PM
David, thank you for uploading the file, I might even try wearing earrings if I decide to go ahead and make one! I'm kidding ( well...not really ) it's always interesting to see how other people make stuff, so thank you for the opportunity

David Harvey
04-07-2007, 6:15 PM
Hey Frank. If you make one, I'd rather see a pic of you wearing the earrings:D

Greg Sloan
04-07-2007, 9:10 PM
Very nice David. Could you please post the file in corel 11. I just can't afford X3 right now.

Thanks,

David Harvey
04-09-2007, 5:36 AM
Greg, here it is v11 format.

Let me know how they like it!

Robert Stremcha
04-09-2007, 12:06 PM
I don't know why, but clicking on the link gives me a page full of garbage, and saving it and then trying to open it does the same thing. Any ideas?

EDIT: I just tried it with corel x3 open, and it looks good.

Carol VanArnam
04-10-2007, 1:44 AM
I like to look at files others have created. I learn a lot from looking at other peoples work. How did you draw the shaps for the pieces? Also- did you create the hearts and little bubbles under them or did you get them from somewhere? All I can seem to make are things with straight lines. I also noticed you did a copy write of your drawing it that hard to do and how did you learn how to do that?

Again looks like a nice project I'm excited to make one this weekend....:cool: :cool:

James Wright
03-16-2008, 9:54 AM
Greg, here it is v11 format.

Let me know how they like it!

Thank you Mr. Harvey for this .cdr....I have modified it to work with 1/8 & 1/16 wood I had...it now holds 24 earrings...I had to widen the base portion because some of the earrings were hanging in the cut out heart....

Darren Null
03-18-2008, 2:10 PM
Re-re-engineered in 2mm acrylic for us european types. The holes have gone in this version, and I also redid the central spindle...partly for reasons of torque, but mostly because I didn't have anything round to use.

EDIT: The spindle is 2 bits of flat acrylic that slot together to make an 'X' cross section. There's 2 small discs that fit exactly into the hole through the verticals, each held in place by a larger disc on either side. I also put a large disc on either side of the main carousel disc. Hang the expense.

Gary and Jessica Houghton
03-18-2008, 2:38 PM
David,
Okay, being a woman and really enjoying earrings, I have questions.
The picture is very interesting. My concern/question is about the size of the earrings that you can put on the carousel. I mostly wear earrings that dangle from the ear. How long can the earring be to still fit in the carousel? Can you place open hooks on them or do they all have to be clamped in some way? how do hoops handle on the carousel? - Just some practical questions...

Darren Null
03-18-2008, 4:09 PM
I gave my carousel to my daughter, not having enough earrings to make it worthwhile keeping it. In a couple of hours of testing comprising several hundred revolutions I can report:
Danglies- no problem so far...they sort themselves out
Hoops- with my design you're good up to about 3/4 inch
Open hooks- would probably fall out without a back.

Gary and Jessica Houghton
03-18-2008, 4:31 PM
Thanks Darren. I will make one to play with and see how well it does with my earrings.

David Harvey
03-19-2008, 8:42 AM
James, Darren...Good Work! I like the mods you made and they turned out great.

About 6 months ago, I did a few variations of my original design where I added a gold mirror overlay to the base, removed the knobs and instead used heart shaped mirrored acrylic permanently fixed to the sides (See pic).
To accomodate more and larger earrings, I did make one that had a larger diameter on the carrosel and the carrosel supports were increased in height. I don't remember the dim's and don't have it any longer...it sold within days.

Darren Null
03-19-2008, 9:19 AM
We are not worthy!! That looks awesome. Incidentally, how much do you sell them for?

David Harvey
03-19-2008, 4:53 PM
...I believe I got $29.95 for the large one...usually $19.95 for the smaller ones.

Darren Null
03-19-2008, 7:19 PM
Thankee. That's about what I was guessing.

EDIT: It's the gold mirror at the bottom that makes it.

Jim Good
03-19-2008, 11:17 PM
Darren,

Where do you get your 2mm acrylic? I am in need of this size. Most places I find have 1/8" but I can't find the 2mm.

Thanks!

Jim

Darren Null
03-20-2008, 10:30 AM
I'm in Spain. If you want mm sizes, I'm guessing that you'd have to import from Europe. These guys seem to have a reasonable range, but I haven't used them:
http://www.perspexdistribution.com/
...I pick mine up from a local warehouse that does greenhouse and window kit. Which wouldn't do you a great deal of good, I'm thinking.

Jim Good
03-22-2008, 1:09 AM
I didn't know you are in Spain! I've found one local supplier that has it. I wanted to make sure there wasn't a better place.

Thanks!

Jim