PDA

View Full Version : 1442 question

Craig Zettle
04-06-2007, 9:38 PM
Just getting started, never turned a pencil yet, settng up my 1442 and was wondering what the headstock indexing holes and indexing pin are for? The instructions say that the combination of holes will allow you to mark your workpiece for evenly spaced features. Huh? Could someone put that in english? I know that I need to get a beginners book, but I am asking this just in case this feature is exclusive to the Jet.

Thanks,
Craig

Neal Addy
04-06-2007, 10:18 PM
Welcome to the vortex, Craig. You'll love the 1442. It's a workhorse.

Indexing is most commonly used to mark a piece at even spaces for decorative purposes. Fluting is a good example. You could mark every 30 degrees around the piece and use those markings to route or carve (off the lathe) fluted vertical channels going up the sides.

Hope that makes sense.

Christopher K. Hartley
04-06-2007, 10:19 PM
Welcome Craig. Don't feel bad I had the same question with my new 1442 just over a year ago. The indexing stops in the spindle enable you to do even decorative work around your project piece should you choose. The index spacing is evenly placed so that you can perform the same process at even intervals. You will most likely not use it for a while so don't worry about it for now. Get the basics down and later you may wish to proceed to that step. Hope this helps. here is a link to a work that demonstrates the idea: http://www.woodturner.org/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=3568&password=e68830429bf0216cfdf3b37529b292e8&sort=1&cat=500&page=4