PDA

View Full Version : Arrrggg! Grrr! Wood Works!!!!

John Piwaron
12-24-2003, 4:44 PM
I just saw ep 512 of Wood Works, David Marks show on DIY. This is the one with the floor lamp made of laminated strips of Koa bent in forms. The show is missing important info on actually constructing one.

The project is great, and the missing info could be alright if I could buy a plan ala Norm, but...... there's no plan available or any detailed info on his website or DIY's site on the particular dimensions. Arrggg!

Yeah, I know I could draw something up that looks approximately like the one in the show, but it'd be nice to have his plan if for nothing else to see how it is this thing doesn't tip over. Footprint and positioning of the feet is important here.

Dennis Peacock
12-24-2003, 5:49 PM
Yup....I feel your pain. I see projects of his and would really like to get a set of plans to build just one of those "thingys". Why not look him up on the web and see if you can e-mail him. I haven't thought of that until just now. :)

Jamie Buxton
12-24-2003, 6:00 PM
I once attended a talk given by David. He said that the deal with his producer is that David gets the actual piece of furniture, but all other rights belong to the producer, including selling plans. I'm afraid you'll just have to reproduce his stuff by eye. David would certainly have no objection!

John Piwaron
12-24-2003, 6:07 PM
I once attended a talk given by David. He said that the deal with his producer is that David gets the actual piece of furniture, but all other rights belong to the producer, including selling plans. I'm afraid you'll just have to reproduce his stuff by eye. David would certainly have no objection!

Then the producer is letting money slip through his fingers. Norm isn't shy about selling his plans. Lord knows I've got a few of those. I'd be happy to pick up a plan or two of David's work if only for the instruction it could give on some complicated detail. And we all know some of David's work is quite involved.

John Piwaron
12-24-2003, 6:17 PM
I just emailed him hoping for a few more dimensions. I don't know if he'll send them, but it doesn't hurt to ask.