PDA

View Full Version : Natural Edge Bowl and Wood ID Help

Don Fuss
04-06-2007, 8:20 PM
I'm not sure what type of wood this is. It has a very strong odor, almost fruity, when cut. Anyway, it's about 3" tall and 5" in diameter and finished with danish oil.

I've also attached a picture of the bark from a cutoff of the same log if it's any help with the ID.

Thanks for looking!

Leo Pashea
04-06-2007, 9:02 PM
Sure looks like Black Cherry to me Don. I don't see any tell tale pitch pockets in the bowl, but that is not unusual. Bark sure looks like it too. Nice natural edge bowl too! (If that "fruity" aroma you mention smells like a jar of Maraschino cherries, then cherry it is. (Most other fruit woods, such as apple, peach, and pear don't exhibit any "fruity" smell in the wood. Cherry sure does though, especially when green.)

Pete Jordan
04-06-2007, 9:10 PM
I think it is cherry. I did this one today also. Could you send me a piece of bark?:D

Don Fuss
04-06-2007, 9:15 PM
Ha, funny you mention that Pete, because if you look at the bark picture you'll see where I snatched a few pieces to repair that one. :D

I've got plenty here if you really need it.

John Chandler
04-06-2007, 9:24 PM
Nice looking bowl.

Jim Becker
04-06-2007, 9:28 PM
I'll be contrary...based on the bark, I don't believe it's cherry. Seeing what the leaves look like would make a big difference in identification ease...but I suspect that would be hard right now!

Jonathon Spafford
04-06-2007, 10:15 PM
I thought when I first saw it it is black cherry -- can't tell by bark though or leaves so I can't help there! Whatever the wood is it is a beautiful bowl and a fine turning! Great job!

Bernie Weishapl
04-06-2007, 10:34 PM
I was going to guess Black Cherry. Whatever Don that is a nice looking bowl. Nice job.

Mark Cothren
04-06-2007, 11:02 PM
If that ain't Black Cherry then grits ain't groceries...

William Fourness
04-07-2007, 1:06 AM
I am leaning maybe more towards Black Birch, young Black Birch trees often look like Black Cherry. Birches also have a certain smell as most woods do, but the scent of Black Birch to me seems to be more noticable then what Black Cherry would be. It is either Black Cherry or Black Birch. Any how it is great looking bowl. I'll try to grab up a section of young Black Birch and Black Cherry and take pics of the bark side of the two some you can see they look some what alike in apperance by bark.
Great job, keep up the good work. You all enjoy your weekend, family and this Easter

Bill

George Tokarev
04-07-2007, 8:07 AM
Cherry, though I'm leaning toward P pennsylvanica rather than P serotina. Depending on your recent weather, you might have noticed an almond fragrance when you were turning. That's the hydrocyanic acid in the underbark and sapwood fermenting. When that process starts, the sapwood is generally no longer bright white, though with P pennsylvanica it's usually thin and a bit closer to heartwood color.

Birch smells like wintergreen, but the cherry birch here has much rougher bark than the Prunus species.

I'm a believer in CA treatment for the bark. Once you have your contour established on the outside, spread the thin stuff to get in and around the flakes on the surface and down into the cambium. Not only will it minimize flake-off, it will be an asset after you do it from the finished inside as well, because people can touch it without breaking off the bark.

George Conklin
04-07-2007, 10:15 AM
Spfffft. If it isn't a cactus, I wouldn't have a clue:rolleyes: . Darned desert!

I will tell you that is one great looking NE, Don:) .

Terry Quiram
04-07-2007, 10:22 AM
Don

Is the color in the picture a good representation? I would venture a guess that you have Plum.

Terry

Steve Schlumpf
04-07-2007, 10:40 AM
Don, I have no idea what kind of wood you have but just wanted to jump in and say that I really like the bowl!

Tom Sherman
04-07-2007, 8:17 PM
Don what ever kind of wood it is, it is a great piece.

Pat Salter
04-07-2007, 8:57 PM
In my "proffetional" opinion...........it's "purdy" wood.

Christopher K. Hartley
04-08-2007, 6:57 AM
Hmm, the Mystery of the Forest!! Nice bowl Don!:)

Chris Barton
04-08-2007, 8:00 AM
I'm with Mark C. on this. If that's not cherry, it's the best imitation of cherry I've ever seen...