PDA

View Full Version : A sanding Box, I mean ....

jonathan snyder
04-06-2007, 8:03 PM
a band saw box!!

Hi Folks,

It should be called a sanding box, because, about 3/4 the the labor was devoted to sanding. It my first band saw box, but probably not the last. Its from a free Tony Ward plan. Lightly spalted Alaskan paper birch, with BLO and blond shellac.

Thanks for looking
Jonathan

Dell Littlefield
04-06-2007, 8:15 PM
Nice job. It is also significant that you were able to finish it while the Iditarod was in progress. I want to try that pattern and am looking for the right wood for it. Hope I find something as nice as that birch

Jim Becker
04-06-2007, 9:04 PM
Great job, Johnathan! I like the drawer-push holes in the back, too...nice idea to not have pulls.

Charles McKinley
04-06-2007, 11:05 PM
ROTFLMAO

Good one Johnathan! I have asingle drawer bow that needs sanded and glued togeather :( All those deep inside curves. Yuckie!

I like the design a lot and the push holes area great idea.

Bruce Page
04-06-2007, 11:18 PM
Way cool! Great finish!

I'm headed back up your way on the 25th - has it warmed up any? I was up there last month and it was waaaay to cold!

Tony Ward
04-07-2007, 12:05 AM
Jonathan

Well done! Have you tried the other (free) plans yet?

jonathan snyder
04-07-2007, 12:46 AM
Thanks for the compliments folks. It was fun to make. The finger holes on the back are Tony Ward's idea, I cant take credit. I'm working on a second one now for LOML, gave the one in the pics to her sister. I used a spokeshave to remove some of the band saw marks on this one, so a bit less sanding.

The biggest challenge is finding lumber of the right dimensions, I had to glue up this block.

Bruce, It has been nice for a week or so, mid 40's and everything is finally melting. I'm glad, March was way too cold! What part of the state are you coming to?

Tony, Thanks for the free plan, that was my first try at a band saw box. I may try another one of your plans, but then may strike out on my own!

Jonathan

Tony Ward
04-07-2007, 7:06 AM
Jonathan

That is what it is all about, finding your own direction. The plans are there to assist that journey, each one has an additional learning skill - so enjoy!

Bruce Page
04-07-2007, 12:36 PM
Jonathan, I’ll be heading over to Kodiak for a work related activity. I’ve lost track on how many times I’ve been up there since 2001 – probably 15-18 times, usually in the dead of winter. Delta Airlines loves me… :rolleyes:

Brian Knodel
04-07-2007, 1:50 PM
Very nice … lovely grain pattern and a fine job on finishing.

Brian