PDA

View Full Version : Todays Efforts, Better Pics!

Belinda Barfield
04-06-2007, 5:03 PM
Today's efforts, documented by better photos, for your inspection.

The business cards are for two guys who gave me some wood scraps to play around with. They seemed to have a little difficulty grasping what I was doing with the laser, so I thought this would help clear things up a little. ;)

Creektiques welcome and appreciated!!

Nancy Laird
04-06-2007, 6:04 PM
Belinda, what is the wood you are using for the business cards? We are making (and selling) business cards cut from 1/32" Finland birch 3-ply wood which we get from a supplier in Tennessee. The material is such that we don't even need to color fill, just clean off the flare a little. You might think about rounding the corners of the cards in the wood; those sharp wood corners can hurt someone! DAMHIKT!!

Cards look good!!

Nancy

Frank Defert
04-06-2007, 6:49 PM
Belinda,

Very nice work with two very different results!

Nancy,

If I may just ask a question about the 1/32 Finnish Birch 3 layer plywood. I have made business cards as well from this material and the engraving is as you say "clean the flair off a little", but the vector cut edges go all charred, black and sooty. Are you using the laser to cut out the cards or another method or are you using precuts? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Frank

Larry Bratton
04-06-2007, 6:57 PM
Belinda:
There you go again! Creektiques welcome and appreciated!! :D

You go girl!! I love both of them. Nice work.

Nancy Laird
04-06-2007, 8:07 PM
Nancy,

If I may just ask a question about the 1/32 Finnish Birch 3 layer plywood. I have made business cards as well from this material and the engraving is as you say "clean the flair off a little", but the vector cut edges go all charred, black and sooty. Are you using the laser to cut out the cards or another method or are you using precuts? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Frank

Frank. We are cutting these on a 40W ULS machine, with the following settings: Raster, 100% power, 50% speed, 500 ppi; Vector, 100% power, 7% speed, 250 ppi. Image density 5.

Yes, the edges turn brown (as any wood will when vectored on the laser) and may put out a little black soot on your hands, but they are not charred, by any means, and the soot comes off when we clean off the flare (we use a good-quality wax for wood floors to clean and shine them up). Here's a photo of our business card straight off the machine. The shadings in the upper portion are because the original art was intended to emulate wood graining. It shows up really well in a color copy/print of the art, and like this on the wood.

(Not a very good-quality photo, either)

We are cutting bookmarks of this material and the only time we have a problem with charring is if the ply isn't flat on the grid - we tried to cut some without the downdraft table and burned up a batch! That stuff DOES flame!!

We are cutting 30 pieces from a 12x24" sheet.

Frank Defert
04-06-2007, 8:56 PM
Nancy,

Thanks for getting back to me with such a detailed answer! I'll give it a go and see what happens...

Thanks Frank

Belinda Barfield
04-07-2007, 8:04 AM
Belinda, what is the wood you are using for the business cards? Nancy

Thanks Nancy. I'll remember to round the corners next time. :o The cards are made from paper thin wood. I contacted the company below and they provided several samples. I'm not at the office but I believe the cards were made from the Maple sample.

www.lenderink.com/paperwood (http://www.lenderink.com/paperwood)

Belinda Barfield
04-07-2007, 8:14 AM
Belinda:
There you go again! Creektiques welcome and appreciated!! :D

Larry,

Surely you're not implying that "Creektiques" was a typo!! :eek::) That was purely intentional since all the critiques here are provided by Creekers.:)

Larry Bratton
04-07-2007, 12:52 PM
:) Welllll..you said you relied on proofers...here I am!!

Kevin Jaynes
05-24-2007, 11:45 AM
I googled business cards with a sawmill motif and landed in one of my forums. I love it. Belinda I like that card second from the top are you making them?

Belinda Barfield
05-24-2007, 11:58 AM
Yes Kevin, I am making these cards. Thanks for taking a look. I would be more than happy to make some for you as well.:D

Kevin Jaynes
05-24-2007, 12:15 PM
okay I will look for your tel and if i can't find it i will PM you mine so we can conspire to get me some biz cards. :)

Frank Corker
05-24-2007, 7:07 PM
Belinda, very nice work there, the business cards look great. I can't seem to find anyone on this side who is selling them but I certainly have one or two ideas on how to get them. Those big fat blinds they do for kitchens might be one way around the issue.

Belinda Barfield
05-25-2007, 10:18 AM
Thank you very much Frank! I value your opinion and am pleased that you like the cards. I sent you an e-mail also.