PDA

View Full Version : Power relay for 5hp dust collector?

michael cannon
04-06-2007, 3:46 PM
The Pentz-style 5hp dust collector I am installing needs a handier power switch. Remote controllers I have seen for this sort of thing lack the capacity I need (21 amps @ 220v). I was planning to take a light-duty remote and use it to drive a relay/contactor. What make/model/sources can you recommend?

I could build something like the solid-state, wired sensing system Ken Garlock posted a couple of years back but I'd rather not try to design the circuit from scratch.

Any help?

Thanks,

Mike

Jim Becker
04-06-2007, 4:03 PM
A contactor is the right component. I bought mine from a local electrical supply house, but they are also available from "that auction site". You need the machine side rated for your need and the control side can be 120v or even low-voltage if you want. The 120v is simplest as you can just just a wall switch like I do to control the contactor or even a cheap RF remote.

Jim O'Dell
04-06-2007, 4:13 PM
Like Jim B said. I used a 30 amp contactor, triggered by 110 volt and have it wired to a normal light switch, except it's mounted in the ceiling.:p I got mine from Grainger, seems like it was about 22.00, Square-D brand as it turns out. I wired a pigtail on my trigger leads that I plug into an outlet controlled by the light switch. I can add a remote by plugging one inbetween the outlet and the pigtail anytime I want. I don't see a big need for it though. Be sure to get an enclosure big enough to mount the contactor and be able to do the wiring. Mine is 8" square by 6" deep (maybe 8" deep). Jim.

Ken Garlock
04-06-2007, 4:37 PM
Hi Michael.

Check out this contactor relay (http://waterheater.stores.yahoo.net/c2con30amp2p.html) for $20. It is rated at 30 amp and is a 2-pole relay so that is good for 240V. The only thing abnormal is that the relay coil operates at 24 VAC. A 24v transformer should be easy to find, perhaps Rat Shack.

Jim Becker
04-06-2007, 4:39 PM
The 24v could be an asset, Ken, if one wanted to do a wired, multi-station low-voltage switch system with bell wire!

Paul Johnstone
04-06-2007, 5:47 PM
Here's the one recommended on the clearvue site:

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=1943513&PMT4NO=0

You use regular 110V current to turn it on, the relay can carry enough for a 5 HP motor, as that's what CV uses.

Ken Garlock
04-06-2007, 5:58 PM
The 24v could be an asset, Ken, if one wanted to do a wired, multi-station low-voltage switch system with bell wire!

I totally agree, Jim. I like the idea of low voltage wiring for control circuits. And, the inspectors don't care about it.;)

michael cannon
04-06-2007, 7:04 PM
Now it's just the waiting...:)

Richard Butler
04-06-2007, 8:40 PM
www.factorymation.com has contactors and more.