PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Bases

Dave Novak
04-06-2007, 3:34 PM
I'm making a number of modifications to my Delta Contractor saw, one of which has to be a better mobile base. I currently have a Delta universal on it, and if I get it set high enough that it doesn't get stuck on a matchstick when rolling, it has a tendency to move on me if I'm pushing something heavy through it. My initial research seems to point me toward the Shop Fox base. Any one have any better ideas?

Brad Ridgway
04-06-2007, 3:47 PM
I have the general international base on the same brand saw... two of the wheels are aligned with the length of the saw. The locking swivels i turn the same way and lock.

No movement unless i forget to lock...

I am also in the process of builing a cabinet extension table to the right of the saw which will support the extension table too. I will have two move locking caster on that which should make it real sturdy (i hope)

-brad

Ken Dembny
04-06-2007, 5:39 PM
I'm making a number of modifications to my Delta Contractor saw, one of which has to be a better mobile base. I currently have a Delta universal on it, and if I get it set high enough that it doesn't get stuck on a matchstick when rolling, it has a tendency to move on me if I'm pushing something heavy through it. My initial research seems to point me toward the Shop Fox base. Any one have any better ideas?
I Have a Shop Fox base on a contractors saw and find it to be very sturdy.

Mark Engel
04-06-2007, 5:45 PM
I currently have the Shop Fox base under my Grizzly 1023. It works just fine. No un-wanted movement.

On my previous Delta contractor saw I had a base I built from Wood magazine plans. It worked real well.

http://images.meredith.com//bhg/images/catalog/product/large/wp_00061_lg.jpg

Greg Cole
04-06-2007, 5:51 PM
Hey Dave,
Another vote for Shop Fox. I have one under my TS and the extension kit to support the long rails (just wish the floor was a little flatter!).
I also have my 8" jointer and 17" bandsaw on Shop Fox bases. I have one other light duty moblie base too, can't remember the name, not using it and not worth remembering now I think on it.

Greg

Rick Moyer
04-06-2007, 9:11 PM
I'm "relatively" happy with the shopfox bases I have, but I suspect if I had a flatter floor I would be very happy with them. I don't really have anything to compare them to though. They will not move on you, so that seems to be what you are looking for. My (enclosed carport) floor is a little uneven and has expansion joints so they don't roll as well as they would on a better floor, but they do lock down very well. I have had no problems in that regard.

Paul Douglass
04-06-2007, 10:30 PM
I put two wagon wheels on the sides if my contractor saw, with some 3/4" or 1" piple along the sides toward the front of the saw. When I wanted to move it I picked up the handles (pipe) and pushed it along like wheelbarrel. Worked great!