PDA

View Full Version : Tippy Top Help Needed

Pete Jordan
04-06-2007, 2:07 PM
My sixth grader has to make a project for barter day at school. Using Eugen Schlaak's plans, we have completed the tops and they work so he is really excited. My question is: what is the best, I mean fastest way, to finish these since there are so many?

Lars Thomas
04-06-2007, 2:14 PM
It's tough to beat lacquer for speed. Else, shellac. Lars

It would be funny . . .get a bunch spinning and as they begin to slow down, give them a light shower with some lacquer. Repeat once or twice more

Jason Morgan
04-06-2007, 2:17 PM
Ive heard of people using oil and a bucket to finish small parts. Just throw them in a bucket, add your finish, such as Watco Danish Oil or something similar and swirl them around. Then pull them out one by one and wipe off. Set on a clean cloth, or brown paper to dry (or you could find a way of hanging them)

Bill Wyko
04-06-2007, 2:53 PM
Deft dries in about an hour or less depending on weather. That's a pretty nice hot rod standing behind your 6th grader too.

Bernie Weishapl
04-06-2007, 3:17 PM
I would use lacquer. It dries quick and can put a couple of coats on it short order Pete. Another thought is maybe friction polish if you could remount them.

Mark Pruitt
04-06-2007, 3:19 PM
It would be funny . . .get a bunch spinning and as they begin to slow down, give them a light shower with some lacquer. Repeat once or twice more
Tried that once with a cockroach or two. Think it would work lots better with a top.:D

Steve Schlumpf
04-06-2007, 3:28 PM
Pete, I would suggest Minwax Wipe-On Poly. A light coat should be dry to the touch in less than an hour.

Jim Becker
04-06-2007, 4:30 PM
Wax. Simple. Fast. Quick. Oh, yea...cheap!

Pat Salter
04-06-2007, 4:32 PM
oops, sorry, I would have finished them before parting off.:eek: