PDA

View Full Version : My first segmented success

Brian Brown
04-06-2007, 1:52 PM
Here is my first sucessful segmented piece. It is made from Honduran Mahogany, Yellow Heart, and African Paduak. I really simplified the form from my previous attempt in case it decided to blow up on the lathe. I didn't want to waste the time on another failure. This one self destructed also, because the glue joint between the waste block and the bowl failed. I didn't give it enough time to cure. Fortunately, I was able to repair the damage. SWMBO was getting tired of the blue fog coming from the garage so she got me a chuck. Now I need to get more practice to keep my pieces from exploding. I have tried solid wood and segmented, and have had the vast majority of pieces end up in the firewood pile. I have to turn when my wife is not around. Otherwise she wants to keep all my failure pieces and display them. It is like a shrine to my incompetence. Maybe she is trying to tell me something.

I know it is hard to see details in these small pictures, but I would like an honest critique on the piece i.e form wood choice color accent ring etc. I teach art, and I critique myself and students every day. It is the only way we become better artists. Please don't hold back. I need to hear all constructive criticism.

Thanks for looking.

Brian

Mark Pruitt
04-06-2007, 2:04 PM
Believe me, I know too well what it's like to have my butt kicked all over creation while trying to turn something. I went through a spell of having tenons sever on me after chucking a piece, and I started soaking them with thin CA in an effort to harden them. That's just one of many examples of disasters.

But I look at this piece you just posted, and I say don't tell me you don't know what you're doing, 'cause you just turned a really beautiful piece! Simple form? Maybe so, but what's important here is that you allowed the wood to speak, and it's speaking very well.

Maybe your wife is holding onto those "failure pieces" as you call them because she wants you to see in another year or so haw far you've advanced.

That's a great looking piece. Keep it up!!!:) :cool:

Larry Rupert
04-06-2007, 2:24 PM
Brian, I really like the colors, and the finish. I'm more a fan of functional pieces, so because of this, I tend to like bowls that look like you could fill them up with something and not have them tip over. That is just me though, not a reflection on you.

This was definitely a lot of work, and I know it now more than ever. I am just now finishing up my first segmented bowl. It sure looks easier than it is - that's for sure!! Good job, and really nice color choices!!

Larry

:)

Bill Wyko
04-06-2007, 2:29 PM
SORRY, I can't say a single bad thing about this piece. I too have had pieces break loose but I dive right back in. Looks like you tought her a lesson;) . You've done a fantastic job. All the right ingredients for a very sucessful piece. Congradulations on your success.

Bernie Weishapl
04-06-2007, 3:16 PM
Brian it is a beauty. I really like the form. Nice work.

Steve Schlumpf
04-06-2007, 3:32 PM
Brian - congrats on your first segmented bowl!

Nice simple form, good contrast in wood colors and a good looking finish! Not much more you could ask for! Keep up the good work!

Dennis Peacock
04-06-2007, 4:32 PM
Very nice Brian.!!! You eye for form and all will improve greatly as you do more. But I would call this one a true keeper!!!! It's pretty. :D

Jonathon Spafford
04-06-2007, 10:08 PM
Awesome bowl and awesome colors! Doesn't look like a first at all! I can't see anything wrong with it... no critique here!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-06-2007, 10:19 PM
Brian.....Very well done for your 1st or 21st! Love that color combination!

mike fuson
04-07-2007, 1:16 AM
Brian, don't be afraid, step in front of that flying bowl..... it won't hurt.:D

I'm just like you, my wife kept my segmented pieces from several years ago and I look at them and the ones I do now and I can see how far I have come. As far as the piece goes, I am like the rest, I can't find anything to even give any advice on. Good looking piece and the color contrast between the woods make it well balanced.

Malcolm Tibbetts
04-07-2007, 1:43 AM
Brian, excellent job. Your joinery looks great. That's the first big challenge in segmented work. The form is basically a "funnel", which is OK, but I think the foot spoils the overall shape. What type of glue did you use to attach it to the waste block? Unless something is quite small, I never use CA, I use Titebond.

BTW, my wife still has the very first segmented piece that I turned about 15 years ago.

Christopher K. Hartley
04-08-2007, 7:45 AM
... I have to turn when my wife is not around. Otherwise she wants to keep all my failure pieces and display them. It is like a shrine to my incompetence. Maybe she is trying to tell me something.

I know it is hard to see details in these small pictures, but I would like an honest critique on the piece i.e form wood choice color accent ring etc. I teach art, and I critique myself and students every day. It is the only way we become better artists. Please don't hold back. I need to hear all constructive criticism.

Thanks for looking.

BrianBrian, I think the piece look wonderful. I personally have not done any segmented and Bill is trying to change this old dog. Until he does I will not critique your work. But know I think it looks great.:)

Brian Brown
04-09-2007, 12:50 AM
Malcolm,

To glue the wasteblock to the bowl, I used Titebond II. I only let it cure about three or four hours, when I should have let it set 24 hours. The garage was a little cool. When it came off the lathe, it hit the tool rest, bounced off the wall and landed on the floor. The damage to the bowl was entirely broken wood. None of the joints failed (I used Titebond for the joints too). I just turned off the broken top and bottom, glued in some new rings, and started again. I even changed wood for the rims, because I didn't like my first choice. The shape of the foot was supposed to echo the top rim, but I didn't execute it like I wanted to.

I have never used CA glue with wood, but as I start more complicated glue ups, I'll need to try it for jigs to hold everything together. I read your book last fall (it's excellent), and I have started re-reading it again. Too much information for my feeble brain to handle in a single reading. The information in the book has really helped my confidence in tackling segmented work. Now if I could just find the time!

Thanks,

Brian

Keith Burns
04-09-2007, 8:03 AM
Brian, this is an excellent turning. This form is one of my favorites. Great job on the design. The only thing I see, as some others have said, is the foot. Even with that small thing I would still be proud to display it on my mantle.