PDA

View Full Version : Bullnose 75 bevel question

Al Mock MD
04-06-2007, 9:15 AM
I'm a jointer plane guy but I can't resist the little Stanleys I find on Ebay. I recently picked up a v-logo 75, flattened everything & re-japanned it (all my planes are users). Now I'm having a few problems...1) I can't determine the appropriate iron bevel & 2) I can't close the mouth tight enough, as the iron gets in the way of the screw/mouth. I know I didn't buy a preston shoulder but I'd like to at least use it. Any tips for my sorry self?:confused:

Bill Houghton
04-06-2007, 11:23 AM
1. The No. 75 is a bevel-down plane (like a bench plane), so the bevel angle will be similar - 25 degrees is traditional, but, since the bevel is "behind" the cut, you don't have to be fussy.

2. As you say, these aren't Prestons. The mouth will never be super-tight, but you can get a little more tightness by filing the nubs on which the screw cap pivots, so that you can bring the adjustable bit that arches down to form the mouth further back. Don't go crazy - you do need some metal there.

While you're at it, check whether this is coplanar with the sole when in place. On many, the nosepiece doesn't touch when the sole is flat. You can file where it rests on the body (carefully) to bring it down a bit.

3. I find these planes horribly awkward to use in factory trim. There's no easy way to grip them without some part of your hand getting jabbed by something sticking up. A couple of years ago, I added a palm rest to mine, fastened to the back with one screw, that helped a lot. If you'd like to see a picture, go to Wood Central's website (Google "Wood Central," if you're not familiar with this site), find the hand tools archives, and search on "Barsoomian" (it will make sense when you find the message).

jonathan snyder
04-06-2007, 7:35 PM
Al,

I have a #75 that I have not found useful either! It has not worked very well for anything I have tried to use it for. If you figure out something it is good for, please let me know:rolleyes:

Jonathan

Edit: I was out in the shop earlier, and checked my #75. I had the bevel up!!! It cuts a bit better, when you put the blade in right, but I'm still not sure how useful that little guy is!!! Gee, dont I feel kind of silly!!!

Ken Werner
04-06-2007, 8:09 PM
it's probably good for selling on eBay. I've got one too that sits in the drawer.

Ken