PDA

View Full Version : walnut and maple segmented vase

mike fuson
04-06-2007, 1:28 AM
This is my latest segmented vase. Black walnut and maple measures about 12'' tall 6 ''wide. Three coats conversion varnish finish. Comments welcome.
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/MikeFuson/segvasebest.jpg
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/MikeFuson/segvasebesttop.jpg

Jonathon Spafford
04-06-2007, 1:57 AM
Absolutely awesome piece! The patterns are really stunning... that is a piece to be proud of! Great job! Only one thought... you have two layers of walnut near the neck of the vessel. Because the grain is different it might have been an idea to slip a thin layer of maple between to visually seperate them ... that or make a small groove between the two! This piece is very hard to criticize though and I have a feeling no one would notice... hey, it is just my own opinion anyway ;)

Chris Barton
04-06-2007, 7:35 AM
Wow Mike, that's really nice! I have tried a few modest segmented pieces but, nothing to match your great success.

Benjamin Dahl
04-06-2007, 7:39 AM
really impressive. I like the layout of the different segments.
Ben

Mark Cothren
04-06-2007, 8:44 AM
Fantastic work there, Mike!!!

Bob Hallowell
04-06-2007, 8:58 AM
Mike that thing is just plain awesome.

Bob

Steve Schlumpf
04-06-2007, 9:03 AM
Beautiful work Mike! Great patterns, wood color contrast, form and finish! Nicely done!

Bernie Weishapl
04-06-2007, 9:42 AM
Mike that is a absolute beauty. Nice work.

D Randall
04-06-2007, 10:06 AM
Wow. extreemly impressive. and I cant even imagine how one goes about doing that.

any of you ever have that. you like WWing in what ever form(s) you choose, and your skills are improving. then you see something like this, and feel like you dont know anything at all? hmm. must just be me.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-06-2007, 11:04 AM
Mike....A lot going on in that piece....and I like it all!...Beautifully done!

Malcolm Tibbetts
04-06-2007, 11:17 AM
Mike, this is very well done. Great joinery, good combination of woods, and a nice photo. One of the big challenges in segmented turning is how to add material to the top of staves and still maintain consistent grain orientation. I can't tell for sure, but it looks like your large walnut rings are oriented vertical; if so, congratulation. If they are horizontal, then you have a potential problem with wood movement. This might not be a big deal, but it’s never a good idea to create cross-grain joints. Regarding the form, the base could have been a little smaller, but I'm splitting hairs. Nice piece of work.

John Chandler
04-06-2007, 11:44 AM
That is beautiful. I like the curves in the pattern in the neck. I don't know how you do that but it looks very sharp. I really like it - you did a superb job.

Montgomery Scott
04-06-2007, 11:47 AM
Very nicely done. The joints look very good. The base however is too wide and does not present a very aesthetically pleasing form.

Robert McGowen
04-06-2007, 11:52 AM
The bar gets raised agaiin. Very nice......

Paul Engle
04-06-2007, 12:03 PM
Indeed Mike, very well done. You and Travis and Adam and a couple dozen hundred others need to give lessons:eek: :D . Where does one sign up:confused: . Very Nice work.

Bill Wyko
04-06-2007, 12:15 PM
Mik That's a wonderful piece. I know alot of people like a smaller base but sometimes thats not practical for use. I think it's absolutly stunning. Great patterning and nice contrast of colors. I'm curious how you did the patterns in the upper part. You've captured the thing I like the most and that is again, patterning color, and contrast. Well done.:D

Jim Ketron
04-06-2007, 12:34 PM
WOW!:eek: Thats Beautiful Mike!
Great Job!

Mark Pruitt
04-06-2007, 12:38 PM
That truly is gorgeous. Excellent selection of wood species. Yeah, I too would have been inclined to make it smaller at the foot, but like Malcolm said that's splitting hairs.

Dennis Peacock
04-06-2007, 4:30 PM
Absolutely beautiful Mike.!!!!!! That baby ROCKS!!! :cool: :cool:

mike fuson
04-07-2007, 2:00 AM
Thanks guys. This was quite a bit of work before it got to the lathe but satisfying in the end.

Christopher K. Hartley
04-08-2007, 7:23 AM
Wow Mike, I do believe you have a gift there. Great Job!:)