PDA

View Full Version : progress on my cnc router setup.

Steve knight
04-06-2007, 12:07 AM
nyone that has seen my shop knows that I am a bit messy
Well to make room for my new cnc router (to bring in outside work and do a little bit with planes) I had to re arrange my shop and in the process clean it up. I tend not to know what to do with my stuff so it gets left around.
So I had to move two of my benches to make room for the cnc and my 14” bandsaw. But it looks like the bigger bandsaw will have to move some too. Since I don’t cut larger items the tools can get pretty close together. But this will be a bit tricky.
Here are pics of a somewhat clean shop. The clutter on the benches never really changes for long.

The cnc table starts with almost ¾” Russian plywood. It is like Baltic birch but tends to have more layers and less open spots. But it costs a bit less.
The rails are 3 layers of the ply to make about 2 ¼” thick and 10’ long and 8” high.
I used a lot of screws (I love good self drilling screws) and construction adhesive (it takes several days to cure it seems) so far I think I have used 4 or 5# of screws.
Check out the small saw I get to use to cut the sheets. It can only handle 10’ long sheets so it is a bit small.
The last pics are of the legs and some of the rails attached. I wanted to get all I could get done today so the glue will cure before I pained and flip it. I used e6000 a silicone adhesive because it sticks to anything and works well on endgrain. I can’t even move these legs they are rock solid and I have not put the last rails or the triangles or the sheets on top and bottom yet. had some problems to work out. like I put the angle iron on the outside of the table and it should ahve been on the inside. this caused the bolt heads to be in the way of the gear. so I have to countersink them and then grind them flush. the pics are in reverse order. not sure how to fix that.
http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s266/knighttoolworks/

Carol VanArnam
04-06-2007, 12:32 AM
Steve- I love your pictures the table looks excellent. Did you think of the plans for the table? I've very impressed with the quality of the work. If you don't mind me asking how much did the wood cost? How much was the shopbot kit? Do you think it's worth it? Looks like it's 4x8.... Well enjoy your new machine and I wish you the very best in your future

Steve knight
04-06-2007, 12:37 PM
I traded a fellow to draw the plans for a couple of the planes I make. Nothing like getting a senior R@D engineer to draw simple and strong plans.
I spent 14,000 on the machine that includes a 4hp spindle. It was that or the metal table.
Not sure on the cost o the table. 4 sheets of ply at 65.00 each 6 tubes of construction adhesive at 2.00 each 3 tubes of silicone adhesive at 7.00 each one replacement sheet to fix a goofup 90.00 since I had to pay 30.00 to have it delivered. About 100.00 for the angle iron and the rest of the hardware and 2 gallons of paint.
Won’t know if it is worth it till I make some money (G)