PDA

View Full Version : Ditching IE7.0, re-installing the previous version

John Stevens
04-05-2007, 10:52 PM
A while back, I downloaded IE7.0. I don't like it--too slow compared to the old version.

I'd like to uninstall IE7.0 and re-install the previous version, but I don't know how. If I uninstall IE7.0, will the old version re-appear as if by magic? Okay, I didn't think it could be that simple.

So how do I re-install the old version?

And what are the chances that, no matter how carefully I follow the correct procedure, this will screw up my OS (Win XP)?

If anyone out there can help me with this, I'd be very grateful.

Regards,

John

Dennis Peacock
04-05-2007, 11:45 PM
You could download and install FireFox. From everything I've seen to date, it's a great browser.

Ian Abraham
04-05-2007, 11:47 PM
Try this page.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177

Cheers

Ian

mark page
04-06-2007, 12:20 AM
IE7 can be removed safely. Go to your start menu, then to settings, then to control panel, then to add/remove programs. Scroll down to the IE7 listing and click on remove.
Hope this helps. I personally do not like IE7 either. Removed it off my system too.
Mark

mark page
04-06-2007, 12:25 AM
I forgot to add to my last post:
Your IE6.xxx will return automatically. Also it is best to turn off the automatic update feature on your WINXP system. Sometimes this feature set to auto update will download the IE7 without your consent. This of course depends on your system. I personally build my own computers and do not want all bits of garbage to download without my prior approval.
Just my $0.02 worth.
Mark

John Stevens
04-06-2007, 9:10 AM
Wow, thanks guys. Ian--I can't believe you found that! I knew I was a horrible searcher, but this is ridiculous. Thanks also to Mark--that's what I was hoping, but I figured it was too good to be true. I assumed the question was whether to uninstall v7 before reinstalling v6, or vice versa. Finally, Dennis--Firefox sounds interesting, and I'll look into it a little more.