PDA

View Full Version : My best entrants/works

Joash Boyton
04-05-2007, 10:23 PM
I am in the top percentage in the competition held by the AAW. Final results are yet to be established, but to do that, my pieces will have to be sent to the US of A, at my expense..still not sure what I'll do yet.

Pieces entered were

Sunraider
Galaxy Sphere
Lace Sheoak bowl (Unnamed)

Only 2 of my pieces are in the top winnings. and they are these 2 below.
In the next post, shows my third entrant, which did not place:eek: :confused: I would have chosen the platter over the bowl any day...but whatever they thought was best...goes.

What piece do you like most? Use the poll.

EDIT: Just saw the spelling in the poll:o

Thanks for looking, all critique/compliments accepted:)

Joash

Joash Boyton
04-05-2007, 10:26 PM
Here is my Third entrant, which did not make it into the top winnings :)

I present....:rolleyes:

"Sunraider"

Thanks for looking,
Joash

Dennis Peacock
04-05-2007, 11:43 PM
I said the box as it appeals to be more than the other....but....the platter sure did come close to being my #1 choice. :D

Jonathon Spafford
04-06-2007, 1:50 AM
Great to see ya posting again, Joash! I had to go for the box... hard Decision though, because all of them were awesome!! The box had beautiful shape and awesome finial... your giving Cindy Drozda a run for her money ;)

Art Mulder
04-06-2007, 8:13 AM
My uninformed, unexpert opinions...

I like the intricacy of the Galaxy Sphere piece, but I like the intricate grain of the unnamed bowl better than the GS grain.
(what do they give more weight to in judging? How difficult it is to make -- in which case the GS would rate higher, or just aesthetics of the wood/overall look?)

Personally, I'd like the bowl even more without the bark inclusion (top/left quadrant of the photo). From various postings here I seem to be in the minority, but I've just never cared for natural edge stuff, and the bark inclusion kind of falls into that category for me.

Jim Becker
04-06-2007, 9:57 AM
Of the three, I feel the sheaok bowl is the one that floats my boat...

Bernie Weishapl
04-06-2007, 12:16 PM
The box does it for me. Although the platter is pretty cool to.

Steve Schlumpf
04-06-2007, 5:01 PM
Joash, placed my vote for the box even though I prefer the Sheoak bowl. Chose the box as it has multiple components and you managed to blend each piece into the whole. Nice work on all your pieces but feel the box required a little more experience and as such is your best chance to place in the contest. Best of luck to you!!