PDA

View Full Version : Homemade kiln

Paul Zerjay
04-05-2007, 9:08 PM
I searched the past threads on this forum and didn't come up with too much info concerning kilns. Has anyone tried making their own? For the last three months I been turning green blanks and bagging them in grocery bags. At least two a week. I also use the LDD method, couple of them a week as well. But then comes the waiting, and after that, second turning. So why not start out with dry wood in the first place? I think I'm going to try making something on the order of this http://www.laymar-crafts.co.uk/tip51.htm I have the heaters and fan bought, as well as the thermostat. I still lack a relay, just in case the fan goes out, I want the heater to shut itself off. But I am thinking this is the way I want to go. Anyone got an opinion?

Pete Jordan
04-05-2007, 9:18 PM
Paul,

I have been wondering about that too. I have read about using an old fridge, freezer or dishwasher but haven't been able to find the articles. I have one of each that don't work anymore so that is the route I want to go this summer when I get time.

Paul Zerjay
04-05-2007, 9:25 PM
Hey Pete,
There is plenty of info on the AAW site using old fridges and dishwashers. Just do a search using keyword kiln. One guy talks about using the dishwashers electric dryer for his heat source. Pretty smart idea if the element still works, plus it already has a condensate drain built in.

Bernie Weishapl
04-05-2007, 9:46 PM
Paul most turners start with green wood because it is easier to turn. I turned a 13" X 5" deep bowl from dry wood. I never thought I would get the thing turned. Try to turn a black locust bowl from start to finish dry. I even honed my tools for this one and ended up sharpening about a half dozen times cause this stuff is like concrete. I might turn some small birdhouses or christmas ornaments dry but not the big stuff like bowls or HF's. I use DNA to dry my roughed bowls in about 2 to 3 weeks.

George Tokarev
04-06-2007, 4:55 PM
It's not the heat, it's the humidity. The pros add heat because they're exchanging lots of air, and warm air can carry away more absolute moisture than cooler. Still, when both hot and cold air are at 90% relative humidity, the wood contained within that environment will get to around 20 % and no further (17% @ 150 (17%@150) - 21% @ 30F) . Don't get a thermometer and try to control drying through the back door, get a hygrometer and use it with ventilation as appropriate to step down in RH. Don't dry blanks, dry roughs. That way you can eliminate a lot of time and risk. Not to mention that cured wood is tougher on the elbow than uncured.

Best information on kiln theory and practice has to be the exhaustive research of the FPL in Madison. http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/ Believe they even have a solar recommendation. The Wood Handbook is a must download, but it's the search engine that will turn the specifics. We can forgive them for not discovering or believing in solvent drying, given the amount of good information they have outside that realm.

Kurt Rosenzweig
04-06-2007, 5:17 PM
I'm in the middle of building a solar kiln for drying lumber. I have a portable saw mill and sell lumber on the side for a little extra cash to pay for my toys!:D It may be much to large for your needs but I see no reason you couldn't build a small one. It's actually quite simple. Here's the link to the design I'm using.
http://www.woodscience.vt.edu/about/extension/vtsolar_kiln/

Reed Gray
04-06-2007, 7:12 PM
I have a local source for vacuum kiln dried wood. It is like working with air dried wood. He can dry Madrone boards 16 inches wide with no distortion. In case you aren't familiar with that wood, it moves in more directions than anything I have seen. I don't know the whole process behind the vacuum kiln, but the result is very good. Probably not for the average hobyest, but......
robo hippy

charlie knighton
04-06-2007, 7:32 PM
i use a dishwasher with hole in bottom with heater and meat thermoter :confused: thru door, it works fine for certain woods and it helps if you turn hollow forms, they seem to not move as much as a bowl

i have had a lot of trouble (ie waste with cherry):D

thomas prevost
04-06-2007, 11:17 PM
A kiln I have seen around is made from a cheap dehumdifier and a box or large refigerator. The fan in the dehum keeps the air moving , the motor suppiles moderate heat and the dehum takes the moisture out of the recirculated air. a bucket is used to measure the water taken out so the wood is not dried to fast. slider Vents to allow outside air-controls the moisture level in the refer. Pretty simple setup for small amounts of wood. the wood one was 3X3 x 8 1/2 feet. the refers can only do small wood for turners or box makers. I Think it was designed by a turner at Rochester Wood Workers Club.

mike fuson
04-07-2007, 1:31 AM
what Thomas said