PDA

View Full Version : New LV spokeshaves--preview

John Wadsworth
12-24-2003, 10:28 AM
Rob Lee has posted a couple of links on the Wreck showing the not-yet-available spokeshaves from Lee Valley--

http://www.leevalley.com/home/temprl/05p3301s1.jpg
http://www.leevalley.com/home/temprl/05p3301s2.jpg

Nice designs--

John W

Gene Collison
12-24-2003, 10:32 AM
Rob Lee has posted a couple of links on the Wreck showing the not-yet-available spokeshaves from Lee Valley--

Nice designs--

John W

John,

Thanks for sharing your findings, yes, they are very nice. LV is constantly coming out with new products and very good ones to boot.

Gene

Alan Turner
12-24-2003, 10:34 AM
Wow, nice looking. What with the low handles, the design is not unlike the LN Boggs type, which I have one of and love. One difference is the adjustable iron, like the older Stanleys if I am not mistaken. When will they be out? At what price, if you know? I assume one is a flat sole, and the other curved; did he give the radius?
Thanks for the heads up.
Alan

Rob Lee
12-24-2003, 1:18 PM
... pretty mean to do something like that on Christmas eve... :)

Have a good holiday - I'm off to work in the store until closing....slowest service you'll get all year!

Cheers -

Rob Lee

Rob Lee
12-24-2003, 1:24 PM
Wow, nice looking. What with the low handles, the design is not unlike the LN Boggs type, which I have one of and love. One difference is the adjustable iron, like the older Stanleys if I am not mistaken. When will they be out? At what price, if you know? I assume one is a flat sole, and the other curved; did he give the radius?
Thanks for the heads up.
Alan

Hi -

Your assumptions are correct - 1 round, one flat...

Will be $65.00 US each.... with an introductory price of $109 for the pair....

Gonna have to wait until the 30th when details etc go up on the website... this is the first time the prices have even been mentioned publicly...a SMC scoop!

Cheers -

Rob

Glenn Clabo
12-24-2003, 6:15 PM
Hi -

Gonna have to wait until the 30th when details etc go up on the website... this is the first time the prices have even been mentioned publicly...a SMC scoop!

Cheers -

Rob
Now I know where my Christmas money will go!

Lloyd Robins
12-24-2003, 7:10 PM
You've been promising something nice around the first of the year. I looks like you have really delivered. I hope the introductory price lasts until Feb. It will take me that long to pay off Christmas.

Mark Singer
12-24-2003, 11:54 PM

Nice designs--

John W

They look great! I swear by the original LV shave... I used it on my lamps , my chairs,and many tables including the "Ahab". I have a couplke of Marples,Boggs< Miller Falls, and some older wood shaves but the LV is my favorite! I can't wait to get the new pair!Thanks for letting us know.
Mark

Mark Singer
12-25-2003, 1:20 AM
Hi -

Cheers -

Rob

Rob,
When will we see the small shoulder plane?
Regards,
Mark

Bob Smalser
12-25-2003, 2:02 AM
"Will be $65.00 US each.... "

That's fair...I suspected they would be twice that.

Then my question would have been what will these do that a properly-tuned, 20-dollar used Stanley 121 or rehabbed heirloom wouldn't?

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/3302197/40973867.jpg

Eric Hedberg
12-25-2003, 10:23 PM
Hi Rob! Well I don't know if I should thank you for being Santa Claus and leaving a present or think you're a bit of a Grinch for making us wait til the end of January;-) Nice looking and I assume chatter free too (I wasn't betting on adjusters. I'm impressed). Time to return those sweaters and bank the money for better things to come. Eric

Rob Lee
12-26-2003, 12:36 PM
"Will be $65.00 US each.... "

That's fair...I suspected they would be twice that.

Then my question would have been what will these do that a properly-tuned, 20-dollar used Stanley 121 or rehabbed heirloom wouldn't?

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/3302197/40973867.jpg

Trite answer - "be generally available to anyone that wants one"!

Longer answer - watch for more details on the website. I can tell you that I've never held a spokeshave that's as comfortable as these are...and, if you start looking at the just the costs of an 1/8"thick A2 blade, you'll see that it's pretty hard to get much lower in price. What the picture's also don't show are scale...these are also wider than most other shaves.

Cheers -

Rob

Bob Marino
12-26-2003, 1:19 PM
Trite answer - "be generally available to anyone that wants one"!

Longer answer - watch for more details on the website. I can tell you that I've never held a spokeshave that's as comfortable as these are...and, if you start looking at the just the costs of an 1/8"thick A2 blade, you'll see that it's pretty hard to get much lower in price. What the picture's also don't show are scale...these are also wider than most other shaves.

Cheers -

Rob

Hi Rob,

My question is what will these new spokeshaves do, or rather, what applications would these be better at than the existing LV Spokeshave?

Bob Marino

Rob Lee
12-26-2003, 2:44 PM
Hi Rob! Well I don't know if I should thank you for being Santa Claus and leaving a present or think you're a bit of a Grinch for making us wait til the end of January;-) Nice looking and I assume chatter free too (I wasn't betting on adjusters. I'm impressed). Time to return those sweaters and bank the money for better things to come. Eric

Eric -

I'm not that much of a grinch...you only have to wait 3 more days-it was "start" of January,not "end"!

Cheers -

Rob

Rob Lee
12-26-2003, 2:55 PM
Hi Rob,

My question is what will these new spokeshaves do, or rather, what applications would these be better at than the existing LV Spokeshave?

Bob Marino

Bob - they complement, rather than replace, the existing shave.

The current one is a LA shave - these are 45 deg. - a more "generic" configuration, suited to a wider range of uses (chip formation is a different type than a low angle) They will also take a more controlled deeper cut than one would typically take with a LA shave.

We have plans for at least three more shaves - two later this spring, and at least one more this fall - these are the "go to school" shaves, before we get into more complex configurations. Watch also for a "twist" coming in a month or so for these shaves too...a backwards compatible option (not earth shattering - but elegant) which won't be available for the LA shave.

Cheers -

Rob

Eric Hedberg
12-27-2003, 7:02 PM
Rob,

"Santa" sent me a Lee Valley gift certificate so I am filling out my forms tonight sans the part numbers (online next year?) for the VERITAS shaves. I'm looking forward to taking them for a spin er shave.

Thanks for the Happy New Year!

Eric

Eric -

I'm not that much of a grinch...you only have to wait 3 more days-it was "start" of January,not "end"!

Cheers -

Rob

Rob Lee
12-28-2003, 10:02 AM
...Eric - the part number for the pair will be 05P3310....but if you wait until tomorrow - they'll be on the website!

Cheers -

Rob
(who hates 2:00pm hockey games....)

Glenn Clabo
12-29-2003, 3:53 PM
...Eric - the part number for the pair will be 05P3310....but if you wait until tomorrow - they'll be on the website!

Rob,
Today is the tomorrow of yesterday...and it ain't there yet. There's some 'Merican green waiting (and falling in value).

Rob Lee
12-29-2003, 4:20 PM
Rob,
Today is the tomorrow of yesterday...and it ain't there yet. There's some 'Merican green waiting (and falling in value).

Hi Glenn -

I just checked - being proofed now, and will be on the web shortly - give it an hour or so!

Just checked the main system - and the first pair's been "sniped" already!

Cheers -

Rob

Mark Singer
12-29-2003, 4:38 PM
Glenn,
I just ordered the pair for $109 by calling Lee Valley.That is for a quick shave.
Mark

Glenn Clabo
12-29-2003, 5:10 PM
That is for a quick shave.
Mark
Good one...LOL...:D

Glenn Clabo
12-29-2003, 5:13 PM
Hi Glenn -
Just checked the main system - and the first pair's been "sniped" already!
Cheers -

Rob
Hey Rob,
As an ex-navy destroyer engineer (snipe)...I resemble that remark. :D

I'll order it before bed time.

p.s.- It's on order.

Lloyd Robins
12-29-2003, 8:18 PM
They are now up and on the site. What do you use the round shavespoke for - seats and hollows?

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page=49142&category=51&abspage=1&ccurrency=2&SID=

Eric Hedberg
12-29-2003, 9:56 PM
I use the round bottoms for curved surfaces like the wrap around arms for a windsor/stick style chair or a joined chair with a sweeping back. Anything that has a concave curve works well with one of these. If you want to scoop out seats and hollows, it works best to go for the scorp and/or travisher. I have my Veritas shaves on order, but since I have to snail mail (gift certificate, grumble) I'm hoping Lee Valley has a good stock or that Rob stuck a couple under his desk.

They are now up and on the site. What do you use the round shavespoke for - seats and hollows?

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page=49142&category=51&abspage=1&ccurrency=2&SID=

Rob Lee
12-30-2003, 7:28 AM
<snip> I have my Veritas shaves on order, but since I have to snail mail (gift certificate, grumble) I'm hoping Lee Valley has a good stock or that Rob stuck a couple under his desk.

No worries Eric - I'll watch for it! Least I can do for someone who's punting on a just a photo!

Cheers -

Rob

Alan Turner
12-30-2003, 10:19 AM
Rob,
What is the readius on the curved bottom shave? I did not see it on your web site.
Thanks.
Alan

Rob Lee
12-30-2003, 10:42 AM
Rob,
What is the readius on the curved bottom shave? I did not see it on your web site.
Thanks.
Alan

Hi Alan -

Radius is 1.75" - will have the copy updated !

Cheers -

Rob

Alan Turner
12-30-2003, 10:46 AM
Good idea. This is quite a tight radius, and one I will find useful. Darn; need another tool. Thanks for the info.
Alan

Eric Hedberg
12-30-2003, 12:38 PM
Not much of a punt Rob given Lee Valley's track record. I wasn't expecting such a tight radius, as my son says "sweet". Now, get that 3rd shave out this Spring and that counts as a "hat trick", right? Can't wait to see what's up ahead. I'm familiar with some of your designers' manufacturing "toys", maybe a spiral bladed Millers Falls style, adjustable contour travisher, hmmmm...

Have a great one!

Eric

No worries Eric - I'll watch for it! Least I can do for someone who's punting on a just a photo!

Cheers -

Rob

Scott Quesnelle
01-02-2004, 3:51 PM
I will be picking those 2 up this month for sure. Back in November, I got to play with both of those spokeshaves and they are very very sweet.

I would also like to put a plug in for the asian spokeshave or contour plane as it is called on the website. That shave took a few cuts to get used to but the small sized one seemed perfect for tight spots.

And from what I saw on the 'upcoming' list with those shaves there might be some fun later this year.

Scott Quesnelle
Guelph, Ontario

Eric Hedberg
01-02-2004, 8:13 PM
Scott, I tried those same asian shaves at the Lee Valley booth at Wood Works. I was surprised how well they worked, nice balance and control. They are on my "accessories" list to add to my expanding collection. I envy your chance to play with the new Veritas shaves in November. I'm looking forward to mine arriving soon. I don't know what it is with you Canadians and hand tools, but there is sure a lot of innovation going on North of the border. I was thinking of Lee Valley when my wife was quoting to me an analysts criticism of Costco, a highly profitable and growing discount store. The analyst said that the management of (the more profitable than Walmart) Costco seemed obssessed with its employees and customers at the expense of its shareholders (say what?). I hope Canadian companies Lee Valley are able to avoid such business "advice" and continue to innovate new tools and ideas(and do some show and tell down here :-). Eric

Glenn Clabo
01-02-2004, 8:28 PM
an analysts criticism of Costco, a highly profitable and growing discount store. The analyst said that the management of (the more profitable than Walmart) Costco seemed obssessed with its employees and customers at the expense of its shareholders (say what?). Eric

It's a wonderful Canadian thing...put people before the dollar. I've learned a whole lot from TLOML...who is a VERY proud Canadian.

I should be getting mine in the next day or so...can't wait.

Steve Denvir
01-02-2004, 9:35 PM
It's a wonderful Canadian thing...put people before the dollar. I've learned a whole lot from TLOML...who is a VERY proud Canadian.

I should be getting mine in the next day or so...can't wait.

I don't know about the whole "Canadian" thing, but I do know that we're wildly spoiled up here when it comes to hand tools.

We've got Lee Valley(very proudly Canadian), we've got the Shepherd Tool guys(you can't go to a wood show around here without tripping over Ben or Doug :-). (about 60 minutes from me)

We've got Konrad Sauer doing incredible hand-built infills. (about 25 minutes from me)

And out on the left coast(Vancouver), we've got Eddie Sirotich making some of the best saws in the world.(about a 4 hour flight from me-hey, it's a big country.)

Yeah, life sure is hard around here :-)

Steve in Toronto.