PDA

View Full Version : Lets see some shops.

Bill Wyko
04-05-2007, 6:25 PM
:D Christopher kind of started this but I may be having a 16x20 garage built and I'd like some Ideas on how to organize it. The space i'm in now, I couldn't tie my shoes in if I had to. Here's a pic and that's before the 1442.:(

Paul Zerjay
04-05-2007, 7:15 PM
If we show pics of our shops, do they have to be as clean as Christopher's?

Christopher K. Hartley
04-05-2007, 7:55 PM
If we show pics of our shops, do they have to be as clean as Christopher's? Why do you think some of the guys suggested white ceiling and walls? Just so they could see the dust. They know it is there.:D

Bill Wyko
04-06-2007, 12:22 PM
I think Christophers looks like that because he hasn't had the opportunity to dirty it up lately but I'm sure he can't wait to get some shavings on the floor. :D Mine is a little messy because I just snapped the pic as I was waiting for the glue to cure.

Don Fuss
04-06-2007, 8:03 PM
There's a lot more to it, but here's the most important part. I just walked in and snapped a picture - this is how it always looks. Now if I could just find my bowl gouge, I could get started on my next project :eek: Since my shop is small, I have my lathe in a corner next to two tables and a workbench. The rest of the tools just follow around the walls with the TS in the middle. You can fit a lot in a small area if you try hard enough.

David Little
04-06-2007, 8:14 PM
WOW, Bill! You manage to do all of those complicated, but beautiful, segmented pieces in such a small space?

Bill Wyko
04-06-2007, 8:40 PM
You becha.:D I'm pricing building a 15x20 garage soon. All this stemmed from a little jet mini.:eek: Whoulda thunk it. Actually it's probably why I do segmenting.....small pieces into big pieces.:rolleyes:

Phil Powell
04-06-2007, 9:03 PM
Here we are......my Robust and my best friend. Both are very
hard workers.

Christopher K. Hartley
04-06-2007, 10:23 PM
Here we are......my Robust and my best friend. Both are very
hard workers.Now that is a Lathe! Way to go Phil!:D :) Don't mind me, I'm just a bit over anxious.:p

Bart Leetch
04-06-2007, 10:32 PM
Why do you think some of the guys suggested white ceiling and walls? Just so they could see the dust. They know it is there.:D

I couldn't see the dust I had to run my white gloved finger over the band-saw table.:eek: ;) Way to dark in there.:D

Dennis Peacock
04-07-2007, 2:16 AM
Here's mine. (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=8754&d=1089939952)

It sits in one end of a 20' x 30' bay of my 3 bay shop. 1,800 sq ft total. I'm planning on moving my lathe closer to one of the bay doors so I can just shovel the lathe curls out the door instead of hauling them out in 50 gallon trashcan loads. :D

Jonathon Spafford
04-07-2007, 2:39 AM
Here's mine. (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=8754&d=1089939952)

It sits in one end of a 20' x 30' bay of my 3 bay shop. 1,800 sq ft total. I'm planning on moving my lathe closer to one of the bay doors so I can just shovel the lathe curls out the door instead of hauling them out in 50 gallon trashcan loads. :D

Just looks WAY to clean!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Jeff Moffett
04-07-2007, 8:36 AM
Here we are......my Robust and my best friend. Both are very hard workers.
That's a perfect combination, Phil! You can't get any better than dogs and lathes. Since my golden retriever witnessed a half-made flying baseball bat, I haven't been able to lure him back into the shop. I'm thinking about getting him a Trend Airshield to rebuild some confidence. ;)

George Conklin
04-07-2007, 10:00 AM
I'm thinking about getting him a Trend Airshield to rebuild some confidence. ;)

ROFLOL:D :D :D .

George Conklin
04-07-2007, 10:02 AM
You becha.:D I'm pricing building a 15x20 garage soon. All this stemmed from a little jet mini.:eek: Whoulda thunk it. Actually it's probably why I do segmenting.....small pieces into big pieces.:rolleyes:

I think we all would! It's that whole abyss thing;) .

Ken Fitzgerald
04-07-2007, 10:04 AM
ROFLOL:D :D :D .

Uh...George.......Jeff isn't kidding!:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Bill Wyko
04-07-2007, 1:02 PM
That's what I did Dennis. I had my lathe in the center of my carport and everything was covered in shavings. Now it sits with the garage door behind it. I open the door and shovel it out and into the t-can. MUCH easier clean up.:)

Bill Wyko
04-07-2007, 1:08 PM
BTW. I do have another shop at my business. It's much larger and very well equipped. The problem I have is that my table saw, drum sander, spindle sander and drill press are at work and the good band saw, the lathe and the good miter saw are at home. This slows me down considerably. I'm one of those guys that will wear the same jeans for years but buy new tools regularly, almost daily sometimes.:eek: I started my business 16 years ago with .38 cents in my pocket and I'm not quitin' til' I get it back!:p I figure if I have the right toolls to do the job that will assist me in my quest for the .38.:D

Bernie Weishapl
04-07-2007, 2:07 PM
Here is a shot of mine. I finally got it setup the way I want it. I still am waiting on a chuck for it and a spindle adaptor. Yea yea yea I know it is to clean. First time that area has been cleaned in 10 yrs.

Bill Wyko
04-07-2007, 2:11 PM
Bernie, I bet you can't wait to get that bad boy dirty.:D

Pete Jordan
04-07-2007, 3:25 PM
Bernie,

Are those pillows for when you want to take a nap?

Bill Wyko
04-07-2007, 3:29 PM
WOW, I just noticed your way of holding your tools. I hope you don't mind me copying that. My tools face down so I can never rember which is which.:confused: That solves the problem. Thanks:D

Bart Leetch
04-07-2007, 5:36 PM

Did you build the building or just spin some chips into the air & add glue?

Dennis Peacock
04-07-2007, 7:42 PM
Did you build the building or just spin some chips into the air & add glue?

LOL Bart.!!!! The building was already here when we bought the place. The house isn't but 300 sq ft larger than the shop. ;)

Dan Faux
04-08-2007, 2:32 AM
Hi

As I don't need to clean up before showing, here for the first time anywhere are a few views of where I spend a good deal of my time. In my working days I was in the Photocopier business and you will see that you can use old photocopiers for a great many things.Notice the "Digital" tool and accessory device. They can be had for nothing if you offer to take them away for the dealer (no longer working of course).First the turning shop then the flat shop, although since taking up turning the project you see in progress has been for two years or more.

Dan

Dan Faux
04-08-2007, 2:36 AM
Here the rarely used Flatshop, you can see the Turnshop door in Flatshop3

Thanks for looking

Christopher K. Hartley
04-08-2007, 6:14 AM
There's a lot more to it, but here's the most important part. I just walked in and snapped a picture - this is how it always looks. Now if I could just find my bowl gouge, I could get started on my next project :eek: Since my shop is small, I have my lathe in a corner next to two tables and a workbench. The rest of the tools just follow around the walls with the TS in the middle. You can fit a lot in a small area if you try hard enough.Aah Don, the Sweet 1442, it's good to see where you've been doing all that great work. Thanks for sharing.:)

Christopher K. Hartley
04-08-2007, 6:15 AM
I couldn't see the dust I had to run my white gloved finger over the band-saw table.:eek: ;) Way to dark in there.:DI agree Bart, I was pulling his chain.:eek:

Christopher K. Hartley
04-08-2007, 6:18 AM

It sits in one end of a 20' x 30' bay of my 3 bay shop. 1,800 sq ft total. I'm planning on moving my lathe closer to one of the bay doors so I can just shovel the lathe curls out the door instead of hauling them out in 50 gallon trashcan loads. :DWow Dennis, you have the same stuff for walls as I do but you must have some powerful lights in there or a reflective white ceiling. Nice setup!!:)

Christopher K. Hartley
04-08-2007, 6:35 AM
Here is a shot of mine. I finally got it setup the way I want it. I still am waiting on a chuck for it and a spindle adaptor. Yea yea yea I know it is to clean. First time that area has been cleaned in 10 yrs.Not buying that Bernie!! you look like the type of guy that likes a neat area and by the way that space is just the place to put that Gorgeous Hunk of Iron!! Very nice! I too like your tool idea.:)

Christopher K. Hartley
04-08-2007, 6:37 AM
Hi

As I don't need to clean up before showing, here for the first time anywhere are a few views of where I spend a good deal of my time. In my working days I was in the Photocopier business and you will see that you can use old photocopiers for a great many things.Notice the "Digital" tool and accessory device. They can be had for nothing if you offer to take them away for the dealer (no longer working of course).First the turning shop then the flat shop, although since taking up turning the project you see in progress has been for two years or more.

DanDan, Great drawer space, Wow!! What a place to house all those spinny things. Great shop!:) (Both)

Bernie Weishapl
04-08-2007, 12:04 PM
WOW, I just noticed your way of holding your tools. I hope you don't mind me copying that. My tools face down so I can never rember which is which.:confused: That solves the problem. Thanks:D

Yep can't wait to get it dirty. Right now I am waiting on a Vicmarc chuck and a spindle adaptor which goes from 1 1/4" X 8 to 1" X 8. I pulled a stupid and didn't realize it has a 1 1/4" X 8 spindle. Everything I own is 1" X 8. So hopefully it will be here Tuesday. Your welcome on the tool arrangement. Works pretty good. Actually got the idea from Bob Noles.

Pete and what is wrong with pillows with some wood shavings for a nice quiet nap?:cool::rolleyes:;):p

Mike Turkley
04-08-2007, 12:26 PM
:D Christopher kind of started this but I may be having a 16x20 garage built and I'd like some Ideas on how to organize it. The space i'm in now, I couldn't tie my shoes in if I had to. Here's a pic and that's before the 1442.:(

Bill, I would go as big as expenses would allow as you will appreciate the extra space. I'm in a small 12' X 16' (outside dimensions) utility building converted to a shop. Of course if I didn't have my flat work items I would have a little more room. :D

61999 62000 62001

MikeT

Shane Whitlock
04-08-2007, 10:01 PM
The only reason I bought my house is because of the shop that sits next to it. It has two large rooms, the main area is 760 sq feet and is where I spend most of my free time playing, woodworking, blacksmithing or coppersmithing, or just to sit and unwind from a hard days work. As ya can see its not very clean or organized, gotta work on that one of these days :rolleyes:

Pic 1: The main area looking to the north.

Pic 2: Main area looking to the south. The large door that ya can see in the south west corner slides open to the other part of the shop that is another 500 sq feet of storage, full of junk and more tools, and the bathroom.

Pic 3: The main wood working bench.

Pic 4: My lathes, the Jet and the old Walker Turner. You can also see the old 1800s scroll saw sitting on the right.

Travis Stinson
04-08-2007, 11:05 PM
Same reason I bought this house Shane ;) . 20' x 40' shop with the main shop area 20' x 30'. It's usually not this clean :o. 1st shot is from the doorway of the 10' section into the main shop. 2nd shows my main play area, with proof that my TS is used in true turner's fashion. :D Then some blank storage in the other section.

Larry Nelms
04-11-2007, 9:43 PM
I am new to turning but here are a few pictures of the shop.62232

Bill Wyko
04-12-2007, 1:18 PM
Here's some pics of my orher shop. I told you I had a big tablesaw:D Now if I could have some of this at home.:confused: If I took any of it home though my installers would probably break my legs:eek: Please excuse the mess. This shop gets abused.

Roy Griggs
04-12-2007, 10:43 PM
I'd link to my "Shop Tour " on my web site but I'm not sure it's legal; so I'll tell you it there and tease you with a couple of pictures...
My shop is 30 x 50 and was the reason we bought this particular property. It was the only way my wife was ever going to get to park in the garage...
This is a view of my flat shop work area
behind the wall at the left are the lathes
Lathe area
(so I can't count)
roy

Terry Rodery
04-13-2007, 9:57 AM
Not much to look at but here is mine...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/trodery/Misc008-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/trodery/Misc108.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/trodery/Misc107.jpg

Steve Kubien
04-13-2007, 12:58 PM
Bill, that's not a table saw. It's a dance floor with a couple of obstructions!

Steve Kubien

Bill Wyko
04-13-2007, 2:30 PM
OK thats waaaayyy too clean.:cool:

Mike Ramsey
04-13-2007, 2:52 PM
My house aint even that clean!

Nancy Laird
04-13-2007, 3:53 PM

Just looks WAY to clean!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

He cleaned up the lathe area after I left.:) I can assure you that on March 25, it wasn't that clean.:D And I saw lots of evidence that he had been working...roughed-out vessels all over the shop.

Nancy

Nancy Laird
04-13-2007, 4:06 PM
Terry, did you have the cleaning crew come in and vacuum before you took those pictures?????:D Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too clean!!:eek:

Nancy

Bill Wyko
04-13-2007, 4:20 PM
Bill, that's not a table saw. It's a dance floor with a couple of obstructions!

Steve Kubien
There's a removeable pole for the center:D ;)

Don Orr
04-13-2007, 7:30 PM
It's about time I did a little more posting so I thought I'd let you see my workshop. This is a fun thread so here goes.

Pic1-Lathe area with my Jet 1642 and a Jet mini behind it.
Pic2-This is what is behind me when I stand at the lathe-Another Lathe!:D My old Craftsman tube rail on a Craftsman bench. Also my grinding area, a MIG welder, air compressor, and some clamps. The rolling cart has a lot of my turning stuff in it along with lots of odds & ends.
Pic3-Chop saw, bandsaw, drill press. Turning tool roll in the foreground on my fancy work table:eek: . By the window under the radio is my unfinished workbench. The large bench with all the drawers is one I rehabbed from my FIL after he passed away. It came from the school where he taught shop.
Pic4-My home-made work area where I do the fussy work like sanding, finishing and other messy stuff.

I call this my "Thanks Dad Shop" because I was only able to build it after my Father died and left me a few bucks. Not enough to retire and travel the world but enough to change my life at home. There is a full walk-up attic above this too:) About 20'x28' outside dimension.There is more under the stairs but sorry, no photo. It's still a work in progress, and probably always will be:eek:. I thought the photos would be sharper, sorry.

Hope you enjoy visiting,

Raymond Overman
04-16-2007, 11:46 PM
I had to dig a little for this thread but thought it was about time for me to include some shots of my shop. Especially since I more than doubled the size of it this past weekend with the help of my Papa.

The progression can be seen here (http://www.nakedwoodturner.com/?page_id=58).

I'm scheduled with an electrician friend to get the lights wired in and some receptacles under the shelter. I'm going to pour a small cement pad and move my bandsaw out of my other shop to take care of all the wood blanks I'll be cutting!

Oh, and I guess that's a gloat, so there.

Terry Rodery
04-17-2007, 9:13 AM
Terry, did you have the cleaning crew come in and vacuum before you took those pictures?????:D Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too clean!!:eek:

Nancy

LOL...No Nancy. I am a bit of a clean freak so after I make wood chips fly all over the place I get out the vacuum and the duster and clean up the mess. I think my main hobby is cleaning the shop. :D

Nancy Laird
04-17-2007, 11:31 AM
I'm noticing in ALL of these pictures that the shops are TOO CLEAN!!! :confused: They all look like Merry Maids came to visit before the photo shoot.:) I want to see some pictures of the way they look while a project is going on. We clean our shop regularly----every three weeks, on average!!! :rolleyes:

Nancy

Steve Kubien
04-17-2007, 1:25 PM
Here is my garage shop/loonie bin/sanctuary/landfill.

The first shot is from me standing under the overhead door just as you wade it. There is a tablesaw at my right hip with a small drill press and heaven know's what on top.
Shot #2 shows my lathe (King midi) and my sharpening set up. Really basic on the sharpening. I couldn't part with the doe-rae-me for a decent grinder and jig set up and looking back on it, I think I am glad.
Shot #3 is what under the lathe looks like. No neat-freaks need apply! The piece on the lathe will be a handle for one of my new gouges en route from Doug Thompson (meep! meep!)
Shot #4 finds us looking at the my bench aka The Thing. Don't get too close! What's that? You hear something growling? Back away SLOWLY and do not make eye contact. I used to do a fair bit of flat work. My humble plane till is on the wall along with a good selection of my handtools. They're pretty lonely these days and that is partly due to me discovering turning and partly due to me not being able to reach them.
Shot #5 just shows some of my stash is various steps of the the drying and storage process. Nothing overly spectaular that I can get a good picture of (for obvious reasons.

Now, everybody go out and get your tetanus shots updated.

Cheers,
Steve Kubien
Ajax, Ontario

Don Orr
04-17-2007, 1:42 PM
....a fun place to hang out!!! I love it ! Definitely a well used and loved shop.

Thanks Steve,

Don Orr
04-17-2007, 1:56 PM
Looking good Raymond. You and your Dad did a nice job expanding your work area. Enjoy!!!

Raymond Overman
04-17-2007, 2:12 PM
Wow Steve, the Safety Patrol and the Machine Abuse Police are going to have a field day with those pics. Personally, I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter since my shop is not of the oc cleanliness type.

Nancy Laird
04-17-2007, 9:48 PM
Finally, Steve, a shop that looks like it's used on a regular basis. Now I'm NOT accusing anyone of having a shop that isn't used, but Steve's shop looks sort of like ours--full of sawdust and things out of place. Nice to see that we aren't alone!!

Nancy

Nancy Laird
04-17-2007, 10:21 PM
I've given everyone enough grief. Here's our shop. This is a 24x36 building that started life as a 3-car garage (the real reason we bought this property). There is an 8x8' side room which I'll show later. We'll enter the shop from the 36" door on the north side 24' wall:

Sharpening station, tool wall (just 3/4" ply), and two Woodtek edge sanders. The one in the back is the new oscillating unit; the one in front is for sale!!

Continuing clockwise, the floor sweep for the DC, the Delta 16-1/2" VS drill press fitted with crosshair laser, and my rolling cart which holds all of my turning stock at the moment (found it at Sam's--great for holding pen and stopper blanks). Behind the cart you see the double doors (recycled from a hospital) for bringing in the big stuff. Also the little chest with the WoodTek mortiser on top. (We removed a double overhead garage door from this location; the ply tool wall had a single garage door where the wall is now.)

Wood storage in the corner, sheet goods standing on edge and lumber above (don't worry, there's more lumber!!).

Left end of the RS bench. Drawers down the left side, oscillating spindle sander in the next cabinet on a pop-up mechanism, RS, and CMS in the next cabinet on another pop-up. Note more lumber above.

Right end of the RS bench. Cabinet for jig and template storage, PM power feeder sitting on the bench, and MatchMaker tucked into the corner.

More next post.

Nancy

Nancy Laird
04-17-2007, 10:22 PM
To continue the shop tour:

Looking into the finishing room, with the monster Hitachi resawing bandsaw and the DC hose hanging off it.

Shot down the west wall, showing the overhead cabinets (purchased on clearance at Home Base) and the shop-built cabinets below. Between the first two cabinets lives a rolling assembly/storage cart built to fit. (That's hubby working on a job).

The Delta Unisaw with Bies fence, Excalibur sliding table, and home-built outfeed table with storage beneath (which needs to be closed in to keep the dust out). (Hubby again with the ROS in hand.)

Another shot of the cabinet/workbench wall. Middle opening holds the router table, right opening holds the midi-lathe stand, and 24" Woodtek dual-drum sander.

The two newest toyls, Steel City 6" wedge-bed jointer and 15" planer. Both of these and the Unisaw are hooked into the same DC pipe with blast gates for each one.

More coming.

Nancy Laird
04-17-2007, 10:23 PM
Ok, we're almost done.

In the corner is an Atlas lathe that was Dave's dad's, and the Atlas bandsaw that we also inherited. Both were purchased in the early 50s, for a grand total of about $75 at the time. Both are in good working condition and are used. In front is the shop-built scroll-saw stand, holding a DeWalt 20" scroll-saw and a Delta 1x42"belt/8"disk sander.

Tool wall (pegboard) above the lathe.

Another shot of the dual-drum. On the counter behind are a Delta 13-pin boring machine and a hinge-boring machine. (My little midi-lathe tucked underneath.)

Shop-built workbench with the new Tormek sitting on it (along with a lot of other junk that needs to be put away. The drawers will slide out both ways, so we can reach whatever is in the drawers from either side of the bench.

Clamp wall - does anyone ever have enough clamps? No!!

One more picture to come.

Nancy Laird
04-17-2007, 10:41 PM
And last, but not least:

The little 8x8' add-on holding the DC (Oneida cyclone), rolling tool cabinet, and a 5hp 60 gallon compressor.

You may have noticed that everything but the Unisaw, jointer, planer, and workbench are on mobile bases so we can move things around as we need them.

We sure like our little shop!

Nancy

Steve Kubien
04-17-2007, 11:48 PM
Nancy, I'm not that new around here (mostly as a lurker but I am coming out my shell, slowly) and I am terrible with names. It has probably been mentioned before but what sort of work do you guys do? Your shop looks a little more serious than a hobby.

Curious,
Steve Kubien

Nancy Laird
04-17-2007, 11:58 PM
Steve,

We have a business making custom cabinetry and furniture, we turn pens that we sell (and moving into bottle stoppers and other things), and we have two lasers (in another building) where we turn out a lot of wooden items--award plaques, name tags, desk name plates, etc. -- that mesh well with the woodworking. David also gives "lessons" to others on woodworking--lets friends come into the shop and build stuff while he supervises and helps and answers questions. He also assembles the machines he sells at his job and repairs them when necessary. He just recently helped another Creeker design and lay out his shop, and then when the shop was ready, he assembled all the machines and ran the DC and air systems.

David has been woodworking since he was about 14 (he's now 62), and learned a great deal from his father. I got into it when we married about 24 years ago in self-defense: I realized that if I wanted to spend any quality time with him, I'd have to do it in the shop. We've been into serious woodworking for almost 14 years here in NM, and worked out of a 2-car garage in Virginia before we moved out here. This is going to be our retirement business after the end of this year.

Thanks for looking!

Nancy