PDA

View Full Version : 14" Bandsaw blades, carbide tipped?

Scot Johnson
04-05-2007, 5:14 PM
Hi- my first post. I am looking for any input to a question I have. Where I work we have a lab where we do composites research. I have been looking at equipment for processing samples for testing protocols and will be purchasing a bandsaw soon. Grizzly has a new 14" bandsaw that has a variable speed drive. I think this might be a good feature to have when cutting a variety of materials with a range of properties. Some composites will have mineral content (cement for example). My past experience indicates that carbide tooling will hold up the best to the types of materials we will see, but most of what I have read seems to suggest that these blades are only suitable for larger bandsaws (18" or bigger). When looking at some of the Lenox products there seemed to be the abililty to size for a 14" bandsaw, wondering if anyone in the "Creek" has suggestions. Will this work or am I asking for trouble?

Steve Rowe
04-05-2007, 5:43 PM
Scot - you are correct. Using a carbide tipped bandsaw blade for anything less than an 18" saw is asking for trouble. I have a Lennox blade and haven't had any problems running on an 18" BS but according to my manufacturer, it is somewhat common to have problems even with the 18" saw. The problem is blade breakage and with the cost of carbide tipped blades (approx $1.50/inch), this is a very expensive route. There are bandsaw blades that have carbide impregnated into the blade that may serve your intended use and are a lot less expensive. Google this and you will find several sources. I have no first hand experience with the impregnated blades but did consider them.
Steve

Steve Evans
04-05-2007, 6:14 PM
Scot

I've been running the Resaw King blade from Laguna for about three years now on a 16" bandsaw with no problem. I believe the steel in the Resaw King is different from that in the Lennox, which explains that difference.

Steve

Mark Engel
04-05-2007, 7:08 PM
I believe Grizzly sells the carbide impregnated blade that Steve Rowe mentioned.

Jim Becker
04-05-2007, 7:25 PM
Lenox makes a 1/2" (and I think a 3/8") TriMaster that is thinner than the wider blades and it may work fine on a 14" saw as long as it can tension it. That may require some after market assistance, particularly a replacement tension spring. But remember, there is a limit to how much stress you can put on the frame of a small machine. If it has to be a 14" machine, the "little" Laguna or a similar welded steel frame Euro design might be a better choice.

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-06-2007, 8:33 AM
composites research. I have been looking at equipment for processing samples for testing protocols and will be purchasing a bandsaw soon.

I am guessing cut quality isn't ever going to be an issue.
If so then use the cheapest blades you can get. So long as there is some tooth on 'em they'll cut - more or less- .

If cut quality is going to be an issue then a band saw isn't the best tool. Which leaves the question open what is best. Based on your post I don't think there is any one blade that will do it all.

Jim Flynn
04-06-2007, 9:39 AM
I think you would be fine going with a Lenox Trimaster as Jim recommended in a 1/2 or 3/8" band. If you are cutting concrete and other extremely hard and abrasive substances you will dull the teeth fast enough that the blade flex life shouldn't be that big of an issue. The key on smaller saws that extremely flex the band steel is to only tension it when you are using it which is good advice with all saws. Good luck!

Mike Weaver
04-06-2007, 10:07 AM
You might try Louis Iturra 1-888-722-7078 as a source for the Lenox 1/2" carbide blades.

As others have said, if the material to be cut is VERY abrasive, blade life might not be an issue.

HTH,
-Mike

James Carmichael
04-06-2007, 12:55 PM
I believe Mark Dugniske posted awhile back that the Olson MVP bimetal had the best life of any non-carbide blade, for about 1/4 the cost of carbide (on a 14" saw).

tom kumpf
04-07-2007, 12:08 PM
Hi - I have been running a carbide tipped band saw blade on my 14" delta for about five years now. No problems, it resaws exceptionally well. I got the blade from Iturra design. They are in Jacksonville Florida. You can call them toll free at 866 883 8064. Great company, great products
tom