PDA

View Full Version : Curly Cherry Plasma Screen Stand: Lot-o-Pics

Jason Tuinstra
04-05-2007, 5:07 PM
Overview: It has been a long time in the process, but here is my latest creation. It’s an adaptation of a Thos. Moser design. It was built for client who wanted to show off his 50” plasma screen TV. I’ve never built anything like this before and it was quite a challenge to figure out how I wanted to build it. This project seemed to fight me every step of the way. But I’m grateful that it turned out as well as it did.

Wood: Cherry in all it’s forms along with hard maple drawers with birch ply bottoms. Today it is very overcast – of course. The day I finally get to snap some shots, and the sun isn’t out! Needless to say, the figure really pops in the sun!

Hardware: All hardware is from Horton Brass except the L brackets which are from the local Borg and then blued using Gun Blue. The drawer slides from Lee Valley.

Finish: I opted not to use an undercoat of BLO on this project. Because of all the separate parts, I figured I wanted to do as little finishing steps as possible so I shot just straight lacquer.

I think that's about it. If I left anything out, I'm sure you'll let me know.

Thanks and have a blessed weekend!!!

Jason Tuinstra
04-05-2007, 5:08 PM
Couple more shots.

Martin Shupe
04-05-2007, 5:23 PM
Well, Jason, I hadn't seen anything from you in a while, so this is a nice surprise.

Wonderful work, as usual, beautiful execution, design, joinery, and wood selection. Did I miss anything?

You are an inspiration to all on this board.

Keep up the good work (and inspirational posts).

Lou Ferrarini
04-05-2007, 5:34 PM
Absolutely beautiful...

Dan Oliphant
04-05-2007, 5:37 PM
Well done Jason, I really like the piece. The use of lacquer only was a good selection, anything else would have understated the cherry and the design.

Ron Robinson
04-05-2007, 5:58 PM
WOW! Simply gorgeous!

Ron

Hans Braul
04-05-2007, 6:06 PM
Jason
Another great project! This is no small achievement. I love the choice of wood and the way you made the most of the grain. The design comes across as balanced, and refined. I know what you mean when you say the project seemed to fight you every step of the way. I recently had that experience on a small jewelry box I built for my mother.

Have a wonderful easter - you deserve a rest!

Congrats
Hans

Dennis Peacock
04-05-2007, 6:09 PM
Beautiful and breathe taking Jason.!!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Gary Keedwell
04-05-2007, 6:15 PM
Stunning!!! That is one great looking piece of furniture. Proportions, design, finish.... A job well done.

Gary K.;)

Ron Fritz
04-05-2007, 6:29 PM
Very nice Jason, Now I'm inspired! Great project. Also, just wondering where you find your source of Cherry. It looks like nice select Cherry. Ron

Andrew Williams
04-05-2007, 6:32 PM
really nice job! :) how many hours did it take to complete?

John Buzzurro
04-05-2007, 6:48 PM
Man, that is really sweet. Outstanding work, Jason. Can you give some construction details about the doors?

Nancy Laird
04-05-2007, 6:55 PM
Jason, that is a really pretty piece, and I really like the hardware. Great job!

Nancy

Steve Campbell
04-05-2007, 7:03 PM
Jason that is absolutely beautiful. I love the design. The finish is right. Thanks for letting us see it.
Steve

Roy Wall
04-05-2007, 7:12 PM
Another terrific piece from a SMC Master!!!

Beautiful to say the least...you are a gifted man Jason!! Great stuff!

Tell me more about the design elements under the corners of the top....

Mark Engel
04-05-2007, 7:12 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, but I think you screwed up big time.

You say your client wanted something to show off his Plasma. No one will even notice the Plasma if it is sitting on this absolutely gorgeous work of art!

Mitchell Andrus
04-05-2007, 7:21 PM
Cherry, natural color. Great!

Nice job.

Jim Becker
04-05-2007, 7:27 PM
Woah!! OUTSTANDING, Jason!! That is gorgeous!!!!!

Kevin Scott
04-05-2007, 7:56 PM
Absolutely beautiful! You're client is very lucky.

Jason Tuinstra
04-05-2007, 7:58 PM
Thanks everyone! You're very kind!

Ron: I get my wood from a place called Higgen’s Hardwoods in Fresno. The guys there are great and so is the selection of wood. They have stacks and stacks to pick through. They don’t separate out the curly stuff, so it’s there for the taking/finding.

Andrew: Hours? A ton! This is by far the most involved piece of furniture that I’ve built – at least in a while. I don’t have an exact figure, but I’ve been working on and off since the beginning of Feb.

John: The doors are just mortise and tenon. The panel for the doors is milled using a bit from Lee Valley designed by Christian Becksvoort. It’s my favorite panel bit. I should also say regarding the doors that the Festool saw and table is priceless for fitting doors!!!! I can’t say enough about how easy it is to fit doors with the Festool system.

Pete Brown
04-05-2007, 8:00 PM
Beautiful! I love the design, execution, finish, and that lovely cherry!

Are the brackets on the rear for additional support or ..?

BTW, for photography, overcast is usually reall good as it gives you soft shadows and fairly even lighting.

Pete

Jason Tuinstra
04-05-2007, 8:08 PM
Roy: Sorry, I should have emailed you earlier. I wanted to snap a shot for you to describe what I did. As you can see in the picture, I epoxied a threaded insert into the leg so that I wouldn't have any issues over time. I then used a screw to keep the sub-frame (for lack of a better term) attached to the leg assembly. On the final install I used Lock-Tite to prevent anything from coming loose over time. Perhaps a bit over engineered, but I was flying by the seat of my pants having never seen one of these built before.

Tom Hamilton
04-05-2007, 8:11 PM
Oh Jason, you have raised the bar again. Beautiful. I hope you do a show of your work at the Art Center in Hanford. They won't believe what they have in the midst.

Happy Easter-He is Risen!

Tom

Jason Tuinstra
04-05-2007, 8:17 PM
Pete, good eyes! But first, the sun. I agree with the soft sun for photography, but my experience is that the direct light makes the curl really come to life. Perhaps not.

Now, regarding your "good eyes." Have you ever heard the phrase "measure once and figure you'll have to fix it anyway"? No? Well, that was my motto on this project. I know I measured the panels to fit perfectly inside the frame. Honest. But they ended up being a wee bit short on the width. So I decided to make these walnut brackets. I said to myself, "Why not call attention to it. Make it look like your not afraid to show it off as though it's supposed to be there. Yea, as though it's part of the design!" So there ya' go. I'm showcasing my mistake! Truth is, I needed some meat to screw into and I just didn't have enough becuase of my mistake. Ahh.... confession is good for the soul.

Jules Dominguez
04-05-2007, 9:28 PM
Beautiful design, woodworking and finish. That piece will be a joy to own.

Dan Drager
04-05-2007, 9:42 PM
Outstanding doesn't touch this. I love the style....Kind of a mission meets oriental thing going on. And the best thing about that beautiful cherry will be to watch it get even more gorgeous as it darkens over time.

Jason Tuinstra
04-05-2007, 9:43 PM
Hating the limitations of photography, here's my effort to extract the curl from the wood with light. I'll quit now. :p

Roy Wall
04-05-2007, 9:56 PM
Roy: Sorry, I should have emailed you earlier. I wanted to snap a shot for you to describe what I did. As you can see in the picture, I epoxied a threaded insert into the leg so that I wouldn't have any issues over time. I then used a screw to keep the sub-frame (for lack of a better term) attached to the leg assembly. On the final install I used Lock-Tite to prevent anything from coming loose over time. Perhaps a bit over engineered, but I was flying by the seat of my pants having never seen one of these built before.

I think that is a GREAT Detail....Thanks Jason!!

The photos are excellent!

Russ Cass
04-05-2007, 10:02 PM
:cool: Awesome work!

I may need to "borrow" that design :D

Rick de Roque
04-06-2007, 12:01 AM
Jason,
Another great job. Love the cherry and the design. Love your workmanship.

Rick

jonathan snyder
04-06-2007, 12:43 AM
WOW! That is absolutely phenomenal. You are a talented man, Jason. I love the design! Thanks for sharing.

Jonathan

Mathew Nedeljko
04-06-2007, 1:09 AM
Absolutely beautiful piece Jason! Love the wood selection, the finish and the curve of the legs..

One question, how do the dovetailed case and the legs come together?

Thanks for sharing... you get my vote for another FWW submission!

Karl Laustrup
04-06-2007, 6:38 AM
Wonderful design and execution Jason.

I, too, would like to see that cherry in a few years as it darkens and becomes even richer looking.

What's next?

Karl

Glenn Clabo
04-06-2007, 7:04 AM
Jason,
I wait...and wait...and wait...for your next project to pop up here. And once again you come up with something beautiful. You are gifted...It makes me wonder what one of your sermons are like.

Mandell Mann
04-06-2007, 7:04 AM
Simply inspiring! Congrats!

Bill Esposito
04-06-2007, 7:46 AM
Jason,

Absolutely gorgeous.

My next project is a cabinet stand for my RPTV and what I'm struggling with is heat.

Like your design mine is going to be enclosed in the front with a remote "eye" hidden somewhere to allow the components to be operated. The problem as I see it is the heat of the components. In my current stand I have to leave the glass doors open in the summer to keep my satellite receiver form going into over temp.

Have you considered airflow in this design? I was considering a vent on the bottom of the box across the length of the door opening and a couple of variable speed DC fans in the back.

Gail O'Rourke
04-06-2007, 8:42 AM
Jason,

All I have been doing lately is painted casework! I see this incredibly gorgeous piece, and I think - Boy do I have to get clients with better taste! (or maybe just nicer tv's!)

This is a gorgeous piece, and I can see many of these design elements already coming to life in pieces you haven't even built yet.

Bravo!

Jim Becker
04-06-2007, 8:53 AM
Jason, that last picture really did the trick to raise this piece up even higher in the "wow" catagory as well as showing some of the design details/shadow lines more clearly. Bravo! You have a gift...

Tim Malyszko
04-06-2007, 9:17 AM
Wow, your stand is absolutely georgous and in my opinion is more impressive than any plasma you could possibly use it with.

Dan Stuewe
04-06-2007, 11:46 AM
I'm honored to be even able to comunicate with such gifted woodworkers as we have here on Sawmill Creek, and you, Jason, are one of them.

This is a complete example of skills needed to make a stunning work of art out of wood: design, joinery and wood selection.

Thanks for letting us learn and be inspired by your work.

Sammy Shuford
04-06-2007, 11:46 AM
Very Nice!

(this is one I won't show my wife):rolleyes:

Jason Tuinstra
04-06-2007, 12:13 PM
Thanks again everyone for the kind words. You all are very generous with your compliments.

Glenn: We're getting a podcast up and running at the church so you won't have to wonder much longer :p Or you could simply stop by - services tonight at 7 PM sharp. :D

Bill: Yea, component temp was on my mind while building this. We have an HD-DVR and it kicks off major heat. The person for whom I built this has a limited array of audio/video equipment. I'm hoping the six holes that I have in the back will do the trick. I might have to bore some holes in the bottom of the shelves and a couple vent holes in the bottom of the case for circulation. I'll play that by ear when I drop it off and do some tests. BTW, I was going to put a hidden eye for the remote in the sub-frame, but opted to go for a simple box instead. In the end I didn't want to mess with the lines and keep it as furniture like as possible. It's bad enough I had to put drawer slides on.

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-06-2007, 12:38 PM
Really nice piece. excellent execution.

John Schreiber
04-06-2007, 12:46 PM
What a beautiful design and fine execution. It looks good from a distance and pulls you in to see details that you can admire up close.

Even if there's a really good movie on, I'd still be looking at the stand.

Don Bullock
04-07-2007, 12:04 AM
Beautiful!!! Great design. Thanks for sharing.

Paul B. Cresti
04-07-2007, 11:42 AM
Jason,
Beautiful work...really like the proportions. I noticed a slight space between the top and the carcass...is that to allow for expansion/contraction of the top? Did you design in any kind of cable management system or passive venting system for the components?

glenn bradley
04-07-2007, 12:14 PM
That is a beautiful piece. Great hardware and color.

Bill Esposito
04-07-2007, 3:09 PM
Jason, thanks for the reply. I too have a HD DVR (Dish Network VIP 622) which puts out a ton of heat and will shut down if it gets too hot. I plan on using something like this temperature controlled DC Fan (http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idProduct=IC5111). We use them in our aquarium light hoods and they are pretty quiet.

I'm thinking that with a number of components, convection cooling wont be enough.

Mark Valsi
04-07-2007, 7:08 PM
Great Work, Jason !!!

Peter Stahl
04-07-2007, 7:26 PM
Awsome work Jason! Really like the design.

Gary Herrmann
04-07-2007, 7:35 PM
Another beautifully executed project, Jason. I was just thinking about one of these recently for when we get a new tv.

I have got to find a place that just leaves all the curly cherry in with the regular...

Jason Tuinstra
04-07-2007, 10:07 PM
I noticed a slight space between the top and the carcass...is that to allow for expansion/contraction of the top? Did you design in any kind of cable management system or passive venting system for the components?

Paul, no the gap is to give the piece more of a floating kind of feel to the piece. I didn't do anything fancy for cable management. I was originally going to bore some holes into the table top for speaker cables to go through and a center hole for the hdmi cables etc. but I opted to just put the six holes in the back panels. I installed it yesterday and it looks fine. I did this so that if he ever wants to use this for another function, there won't be any holes in the top. Concerning the venting, he has two components: He has a Bose system that is a DVD/CD combo and a digital cable box - neither of which produce any substantial btu's. In the future I may have to bore some holes or put some kind of fan system. Right now that would be overkill.

Jason Tuinstra
04-07-2007, 10:10 PM
Jason, thanks for the reply. I too have a HD DVR (Dish Network VIP 622) which puts out a ton of heat and will shut down if it gets too hot. I plan on using something like this temperature controlled DC Fan (http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idProduct=IC5111). We use them in our aquarium light hoods and they are pretty quiet.

I'm thinking that with a number of components, convection cooling wont be enough.

Bill, when we got ours a few weeks ago, I put it in my unvented cabinet. Wow! That thing gets HOT! We brought it up to it's auto shut off temp. I ended up putting it in our bedroom where we have an open cabinet and put the regular HD receiver in the unvented cabinet and have been just fine. But you're certainly going to need some active cooling system if you're going to put that into a cabinet. Thanks for the link!

Dave Fifield
04-08-2007, 4:13 AM
Beautiful work Jason. By any chance, is your client a tall African American fellow called Frank?

BTW, I have a ViP622 in a cabinet too - it got so hot I had to put more slots in the back of the cab and I have to leave the door open. One day soon I'll rig up a quiet fan and/or change the doors on the cab to add slots there too.

Jason Tuinstra
04-08-2007, 10:34 AM
Beautiful work Jason. By any chance, is your client a tall African American fellow called Frank?

Nope. And his name isn't Jason either :( :D ;)