PDA

View Full Version : Belt/Disc sander - uses

Matt P
04-05-2007, 5:02 PM
Hi,
I'm a novice, and have ordered a Craftsman 6" disc/4x36"belt sander. Is there anything that the belt sander is used for vs. the disc? or vice versa? Or are they redundant?
thanks in advance,
matt

Steve Beadle
04-05-2007, 5:58 PM
Matt, they're definitely NOT redundant. You will find that on some sanding operations only one will work, and not the other.

Be sure you hook up some sort of dust collection.

Steve

Matt P
04-05-2007, 6:03 PM
Yes, but which sanding operations are best for each? Thank you!

Steven Triggs
09-01-2007, 2:34 AM
I too am interested in knowing more about the various uses of the belt vs. the disc.

Steve knight
09-01-2007, 3:30 AM
6" discs don't do a lot because you can only use at most 1/2 of the disc thats about 1.5" worth. I use a 12" disc to square things round over flat parts and such. they are accurate. were a belt sander is good for hogging or finer sanding doing curves and such.

Doug Shepard
09-01-2007, 6:52 AM
The disc is good for doing outside curves and circles can be turned on it using a pivot point. I've done some small circles that were too small for my router circle jig. With the table tilted and a pivot point, smooth chamfers can be done on round parts too. I've been using it lately to square up the ends of 4" & 6" PVC cut with a jig saw, though the 6" just barely fits against the disc. Also good for touching up corner miters. The belt get less use on mine but comes in handy for sanding edges of small parts or leveling glued in corner splines. The belt can also get into some inside curves with the top cover removed and using the roller.

Bill Huber
09-01-2007, 8:56 AM
I have a Delta 6 inch D/B sander and it just sets there on the bench most of the time now. I got the Ridgid EB4424 Oscillating Edge Belt / Spindle Sander and use it for everything now.
I have not missed the disk at all, the Ridgid handles it all now.