PDA

View Full Version : How much space for space balls?

Mark Hollingsworth
04-05-2007, 4:23 PM
I'm building a bed with a 20 1/2" panel width opening. I'm planning on using space balls and according to specs suppose to allow 5/32 per side of gap for expansion. I live in the north and the furnace is still running so I'm thinking my wood is quite dry and I'm concerned that come summer I"ll need more expansion room than this would allows. Does anybody have experience with these things and if so what should my total expansion gap be?

Joe Chritz
04-05-2007, 4:37 PM
I use .26 space balls and leave enough so I squish each side about 1/16 to 3/32nd's.

That would make the panel a bit under 3/8th's narrower and shorter than the space available. Those balls smash down to 1/8th in really easy so you shouldn't have any problems.

I am building a panel sides for a library (just inside on lunch) and just finished the panels. Those dimensions allow it to go together easily. Others will use some other numbers I'm sure but as long as it goes together without a ton of pressure it will be fine.

Joe

Mark Hollingsworth
04-05-2007, 4:58 PM
I wanted to be sure as I've read that a panel this wide could expand over 1/4 " so i didn't want to have a problem later. Thanks!

Joe Chritz
04-06-2007, 2:10 AM
There are webpages with calculators for determining how much a panel will expand with different humidity levels.

I regularly make panels around 18" and don't have problems. If you knew the panel was at the smallest size you could leave a 1/2" with no problems. If it was at the largest you could cram it in. I opt for somewhere in the middle.

Your mileage may vary of course.

Joe

Merle Clor
04-06-2007, 6:40 PM
You could check with Mel Brooks or Rick Moranis! :D LOL!