PDA

View Full Version : Record Lathes from the UK?

Mark Hubbs
04-05-2007, 4:23 PM
Does anyone know the reputation of a line of lathe from England by the name of "Record" of "Record Power"? There is a source that has there small starter lathe (9 X 24) for $125 delivered.

Thanks

CPeter James
04-05-2007, 5:04 PM
I just sold a Record Power lathe 12x48. It was very precisely machined and engineered. There are parts available should you need them and they do have a good web site.

http://www.recordpower.co.uk/intricart/product/images/2/DML24X-MK2.jpg

Is this the lathe you are looking at?

CPeter

Mark Hubbs
04-05-2007, 7:06 PM
It is similar, but I suspect it is new-old-stock of the previous model. Ten of these are being sold at a buy-it-now on Epay. The one you show sells for 169 pounds (about $310).

I guess I am not smart enough to include a photo, but here is a link to it.

http://i1.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/8a/da/4399_1.JPG

Except for its small truning diameter and limit on bowl size, it looks like a nice little lathe. I also like the idea of buying something made in an English speaking country.

John Taylor
04-06-2007, 7:53 AM
HI

Record used to be a very good make of lathe here but in the last couple of years they have gone downhill.

They used to be made by the company themselves in Sheffield England, but about 18 months ago they switched production to China and they are not the same. The castings are not as good and seem to be made of slightlly inferior metal according to people in the know, amongst other things.

If it is an older model I would recomend it but if it is a newer one I would be cautious about recomending it.

Most of the older models didnt have handles for adjusting the tailstock etc but these can be brought as an upgrade kit.

Their website is http://www.recordpower.co.uk/

john

Mark Hubbs
04-06-2007, 8:43 AM
John,

Thanks for your input. It seems everyone is going "off shore" to have their goods manufactured.:( The one I'm looking at is the DML24X and the one they currently have on their website is the DML24X MKII. Do you think the Mark II could be the newer version that is imported?

By the way, I earned my Masters degree in Archaeology from the University of Leicester.

Cheers!

Mark

John Taylor
04-06-2007, 2:36 PM
HI

I am pretty sure the MKII refers to the inclusion of the camlock handles and a couple of other mods they have made to it latelly.

It is quite new on the market and they have been selling the chinese ones for some time now.

The only way I know to tell the difference is to either find out how old it is, so over 2 years it is a UK made one. Or to have a good look at it and if the castings are a bit rough or less than 2 years old then it is probably a chineese one.

john

Mark Hubbs
04-06-2007, 3:06 PM
John et al.

I talked to Ken at ProMax tools who is selling the lathes. These are the last of the UK made lathes in the US. He is a service center and distributor of lathes and parts. He is no longer selling the Record lathes for exactly the issue you mentioned. He has already sold off the larger models and these are the last of the 24 inch Record lathes that are made in England. He will continue with parts and service, but will not carry the ChiCom made lathes.

At this price I'm tempted to buy two! The newer chinese versions sell for 160 pounds (about $310). He is selling off the last of the UK made lathes new in the box for $99 plus $25 shipping. They are on ebay for a couple more days. Do a search for Record wood lathe. I just ordered one.:D