PDA

View Full Version : Getting Wife's Permission for Sawstop

Neal Dooley
04-05-2007, 4:15 PM
Hi Guys,

I am probably 2 years out from getting my garage (ahem, shop) constructed and I have been lamenting my tools in storage and the dream of not driving to a school to use stationary tools... While paging through one of my woodworking magazines in anticipation of my future purchases I came across a beautiful 'centerfold' of the Powermatic 2000. I figured I can wing the purchase this one without undue resistance from my lovely bride so I tell her that the PM2000 may be the one for me. She asked its price....."A little over $2000 dear"...."What! for ONE tool?"......backpeddling and pleading words ensued, she remembers seeing the Shopsmith and how it does so many things. How could a table saw that does 'one' thing be worth over $2K?. I assured her a quality saw would be worth the investment for a lifetime of use and precision. perhaps worth 50% of my total shop budget, I then left the room for a while.....

10 minutes later I hear her screaming, "He lost his thumb, he lost his thumb!" She had been watching Top Design and a carpenter had been running a narrow piece of wood through a rip with the blade at maximum exposure, no guard, no spitter or riving knife, using no pushstick and then reached across the blade to grab the cutoff piece... He didn't actually cut his thumb 'off' ...thank goodness! My wife looked at me squarely and forcefully told me. I want you to get the saw where the blade goes down when you touch it...."The Sawstop?", I asked. That costs about $1000 more than the powermatic....."I want you to spend a thousand more for that saw," she tells me........"Yes Dear, whatever you want":) :D :cool:

Deep down that was the one I wanted anyway but was afraid to get the OK for a $3K saw....

Gary Ratajczak
04-05-2007, 4:27 PM
So that's how it's done............:rolleyes:

Jason Beam
04-05-2007, 4:42 PM
I knew those TV shows were good for something! :p :p :p

Gary Benson
04-05-2007, 4:46 PM
Get ready to tell her that with a fence, tax, delivery, a dado brake and insert, it is really just over 4K. No regrets with mine, just money.

Rob Russell
04-05-2007, 4:58 PM
It could be a lot worse. You could be trying to explain why a euro-slider saw/shaper is so good because your hands are never anywhere near the blade ... at 3-4 times the cost of the SawStop! :rolleyes:

Randal Stevenson
04-05-2007, 5:22 PM
PM me for my address that you can mail that tape out of the vcr to.;)

Martin Shupe
04-05-2007, 5:26 PM
PM me for my address that you can mail that tape out of the vcr to.;)

Randal, you beat me to it, every woodworker should have a copy of that tape to show their wives!!!

Maybe someone can post it on Youtube for all to "enjoy"?

paul aubin
04-05-2007, 5:34 PM
Every producer of these shows should have a copy of the tape to remind them about proper safety as a great many viewers "learn" from DIY

I cringe when i see some of the things they do, including on some of the DIY tips

Paul

Gary Lange
04-05-2007, 5:48 PM
Man you are better at this then I ever was. That video should be passed around from member to member.

Dave Avery
04-05-2007, 6:26 PM
It could be a lot worse. You could be trying to explain why a euro-slider saw/shaper is so good because your hands are never anywhere near the blade ... at 3-4 times the cost of the SawStop! :rolleyes:

Having seen Rob's Euro equipemt WIP first hand, along with other major WIP's, I can vouch for the fact that Rob's wife is definitely a keeper......... :)

I can also say that you'll be hard-pressed to find a nicer guy. Best. Dave.

John Bush
04-05-2007, 6:34 PM
Hi Neal,
You must be in sales or marketing!! Good job.
Let me know if she wants to see an overdone hobbiest shop with a SS and if you need to use shop space for a project. I live in Edmonds and have a detached shop so making a mess is no problem John.

Roy Harding
04-05-2007, 6:59 PM
The Sawstop is a beautiful machine. I used one during a course - and it's the one I'll be buying when my shop is built (about three months from now). My current saw will become a dedicated dado/rabbet cutter.

The Sawstop is wonderfully engineered. Leaving the safety features aside - it's solid, has a large table, and well built trunnion. The fence is acceptable - I'll probably put an aftermarket fence on - and the riving knife is to die for (no more excuses about putting the splitter back on the machine!!)

Like you, I used the safety features of the saw to justify it to SWAMBO - but that is not the reason I wanted it - it's just a damn fine saw.

Have fun with yours.

Jim Becker
04-05-2007, 7:43 PM
Congrats...it sounds like you're going to have a fine saw in your shop! (Don't forget the thank-you note to the dude in the show... ;) )