PDA

View Full Version : Cute piece, lousy pic

Belinda Barfield
04-05-2007, 3:52 PM
This isn't one of those really nice pieces you guys do, just some basic text, but I think it's kinda' cute. Wish I had a better photo but the customer was waiting, and I was in a hurry. Thanks for any advice you want to throw my way.

Mike Null
04-05-2007, 4:14 PM
Much better than cute.

Ed Maloney
04-05-2007, 4:50 PM
Very nice. How about some war stories about the materials you used, settings, and all that fun stuff?

Belinda Barfield
04-05-2007, 6:12 PM
Very nice. How about some war stories about the materials you used, settings, and all that fun stuff?

Ed,

I'm not at the office right now, so I'll verify that info tomorrow. I didn't think to post the particulars as I feel so far behind all of you here. :o This is only my third engraving on granite. My first piece was a 36" x 18" x 3 cm scale model of a piece for the Ranger Memorial going up here at Hunter Army Air Field. The final piece was to be 84" x 36" x 5 cm.

The piece I posted is 9" x 7" x 3/8" black granite. Best I recall at the moment settings were 500 DPI, 65% power, 90% speed, 600 PPI on a LaserPro Explorer 60 watt.

Thanks for your reply, and support.

Okay, I have to tell the "War Story". I was gonna keep it to my self, but I'm too honest for my own good. :rolleyes: In a former life I was a medical transcriptionist, so I type really fast. HOWEVER, I can't - no matter how hard I try - proof my own work. Sure enough, the first piece I ran had a typo.:mad: I ran a test piece, read that one, read the one showing on the monitor one more time, and still didn't catch it. Oh well, one advantage to having a stone shop is always having extra material if you mess up.

Larry Bratton
04-05-2007, 7:14 PM
Belinda:
Nice work on the plaque! I'll have to jab you bit here though. I bet you were dangerous as a med transcription person. You typed:
"HOWEVER, I can't - no matter how had I try - proof my own work":rolleyes:

Belinda Barfield
04-05-2007, 8:23 PM
Belinda:
Nice work on the plaque! I'll have to jab you bit here though. I bet you were dangerous as a med transcription person. You typed:
"HOWEVER, I can't - no matter how had I try - proof my own work":rolleyes:

See what I mean! That is the reason we had proofers. :o All of the really big, important words were fool proof.:) I wasn't really a danger to anyone.

Just a little jab back - "I'll have to jab you bit here . . .":D

David Harvey
04-05-2007, 8:36 PM
Belinda,
Really nice! Thanks for sharing. I like it.

Belinda Barfield
04-06-2007, 7:38 AM
Thanks David. I located Youngsville on the map, was hoping you were a little closer to Georgia. You've got lots of "toys" and I would love to see your place!

David Harvey
04-06-2007, 8:14 AM
Belinda,
Yea, plenty of toys, but not enough time to really enjoy them. If you're ever passing thru, let me know. Would love to show you the shop...and we don't proof things too good here either, so you might feel right at home...:p

William Desrochers
04-06-2007, 2:46 PM
that turned out nice! good job!

Belinda Barfield
04-06-2007, 4:01 PM
Thanks to all of you! You are all so supportive of newbie efforts. I really appreciate all of your help and kind comments.

Leigh Costello
04-06-2007, 4:09 PM
Belinda, you are under estimating your abilities! Looks great! My "proof spoof" was a hand engraved liking of a church for a silent auction. On the day of the auction, it was pointed out to me that I had spelled the church name wrong. :o Way too late to fix and deliver so I scrounged for a pen and pencil set with engraved box. Still blush when I think about it!

Belinda Barfield
04-07-2007, 8:30 AM
that turned out nice! good job!

Thanks William. Love your website, and the name of your company. I'm sure I'll be using your services in the future. :)

Belinda Barfield
04-07-2007, 8:37 AM
Belinda, you are under estimating your abilities! Looks great! My "proof spoof" was a hand engraved liking of a church for a silent auction. On the day of the auction, it was pointed out to me that I had spelled the church name wrong. :o Way too late to fix and deliver so I scrounged for a pen and pencil set with engraved box. Still blush when I think about it!

Thanks Leigh. Luckily my goof up was for an employee's girlfriend. I went into my laser room to check on things just as the laser was burning the typo. I almost stopped it at that point, but then decided I better finish - in case there was another typo! I also have the piece displayed in a prominent (for me) place as a reminder to ask someone else to proof for me. Trouble is, I showed the piece to two other people, and they didn't see the typo until I pointed it out. I think this was because the phrasing was repetitive in the poem, and the brain "sees" the phrase instead of the actual letters.