PDA

View Full Version : Bonsai Stands

Joe Pelonio
04-05-2007, 1:28 PM
I mentioned in a previous post about burl slabs for bonsai display, and thanks to William F. who should be getting some business from bonsai people.

I was asked today about making bonsai stands by a member of one of my bonsai groups. It seems like a laser cut design with some sanding and finishing could do a nice job at a decent price. I'll probably come up with a few designs when I get time, but meanwhile, some of you might want to consider these as a new item to sell as shows. They are simply tables with very short legs, the tree/pot are placed on it for display. Other versions have long legs to stand on the floor. Also a good item for woodworkers that do it without a laser. There are bonsai burseries and clubs all over the place to market to.

Most of them being sold are $125 and up, way up, something like these:

Joe Pelonio
04-05-2007, 2:54 PM
I did one real quick with acrylic to show how easy it is. Shown with one of my India Banyan babies. Total time 20 minutes and that included the design.

Larry Bratton
04-05-2007, 7:08 PM
Joe:
Nice! Obviously those are Oriental type designs. Very interesting. I like your tree. (that is right..it is a minature tree?) I bet that is a fun hobby.

Joe Pelonio
04-05-2007, 10:05 PM
That's one of my 4 babies, just a year+ old from seed. I have about 30 bonsais now. Many of them look more like trees than this one.

John Hardage
04-06-2007, 2:14 AM
I did one real quick with acrylic to show how easy it is. Shown with one of my India Banyan babies. Total time 20 minutes and that included the design.

I don't suppose you'd share the file? My wife likes it, you know what that means.....:)

Joe Pelonio
04-06-2007, 8:19 AM
Sure, here you go.

David Harvey
04-06-2007, 8:20 AM
Joe,
Those are way cool! ...but I smell some equipment other than the laser and plotter in them. How did you make those cool legs?

Joe Pelonio
04-06-2007, 10:40 AM
Joe,
Those are way cool! ...but I smell some equipment other than the laser and plotter in them. How did you make those cool legs?
Sorry if I wasn't clear, David, but those wood ones are examples of what's being sold at bonsai supply stores, I didn't make them. Chances are they were made by hand or perhaps some CNC work.

John Hardage
04-09-2007, 10:47 PM
Sure, here you go.

Thanks much! I can't believe you cranked it out so quickly. Design seems to take over my day still. I suppose as Corel and I become better friends......

Joe Pelonio
04-09-2007, 11:38 PM
I started using Corel 3 about 1995 or so.