PDA

View Full Version : Willow burl- 2nd Hf

Bob Hallowell
04-05-2007, 12:16 PM
This is the second hollow form I have made. And I was quite happy to get it off the lathe in one peice!

This is a peice of willow burl I got off of Bill at Penns woods when I stoped in for a visit.

It measures 6.5" x 3" with an ebony collar. 2 coats of antique oil but I didn't want to buff it as the WD would have been a bear to get out so I used spray laquer over the for more shine.

The walls are about 1/4" even thought the look thicker cause of the bark section. I was afraid to go any thinner cause it was to fragile

Please critique this and tell me what I can improve on. Still working on my photoghraphy but it's getting better

thanks,
Bob

Tony De Masi
04-05-2007, 12:49 PM
Bob,

Easy to see you had a great piece to start with but I love what you did with it. The Ebony collar really fits it nicely too. I don't know what it is about that particular HF shape but it really appeals to me.

Great job.

Tony

Brodie Brickey
04-05-2007, 12:51 PM
Bob,

You know there are a couple holes in it? :p Just kidding. The piece looks nicely balanced, its pleasing to the eye. I think you got the golden rule dialed in there. The collar looks good as well, offering a nice contrast. I might have gone with smaller collar, but then the top of the HF may have needed to curve downward more sharply to maintain balance. Its a very attractive piece.

On the finish, it may be the pictures, but I'd stay on an oil finish and just hand polish. I'm not sure if I'm seeing speckles from the lacquer or not.

Jeff Moffett
04-05-2007, 12:56 PM
The form looks great to me!

Regarding your photography, the biggest issue is the white balance. That's why each of your shots has a different color tone to it. I hope you don't mind that I adjusted the white balance on your second shot and uploaded it, so you can see the difference. Your camera probably has a variety of white balance settings. If you're using the same lighting each time you shoot your pieces, you might try taking the same shot over and over cycling through the white balance options to see which one gives you the truest color.

Bob Hallowell
04-05-2007, 12:59 PM
thanks Guys,
Brodie there are some speckles. I am planning on adding a few more coats of lacquer than rubbing it done real well with fine steel wool then wax.

Bob

William Fourness
04-05-2007, 1:33 PM
Well Bob that looks a whole lot better then I saw it last. Did a great job. And the next trip up my way stop in again, I got lots of new goodies here. Thanks for showing this and looking forward to seeing you.

Bill

Steve Schlumpf
04-05-2007, 2:23 PM
Really nice looking burl Bob! I like the form, collar and all of the wild grain! Nice work!

As far as photos - have to agree with Jeff and suggest you play with your white balance settings ands see what works for you. Lots of luck.

Mark Pruitt
04-05-2007, 2:38 PM
Very nice form!

Nancy Laird
04-05-2007, 6:53 PM
Bob, this piece is awesome!!! Pucker factor of about 9.95???? I love the form--looks a lot like Southwest pottery, and since I'm partial to those shapes, I really like this one.

Nancy

Kurt Rosenzweig
04-05-2007, 7:44 PM
Beautiful job Bob! Did you turn this to finish from blank or did you use a drying method? I've here willow is an acrobatic wood. Just curious.

Bob Hallowell
04-05-2007, 8:01 PM
Thanks all,
Kurt I turned it from start to finish, I figured the movement would help with the narly apearence. It didn't have much aroma at all now that you mention it. It was my first time to turn willow but it was definetly green.

Bob

Curt Fuller
04-05-2007, 8:06 PM
That's very nice Bob. You don't see many people that want to turn willow. I think it's pretty wood though and you've done a nice job on it.

Jonathon Spafford
04-05-2007, 8:26 PM
That is a beautiful little burl! Never seen willow, I don't think! You did an awesome job turning it... I like the shape of the form! Definitely doesn't look like a second!

Bernie Weishapl
04-05-2007, 9:52 PM
Bob that is a beauty. I really like the form and finish on it. Nice job.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-05-2007, 11:05 PM
Nice 2nd or 22nd HF Bob!