PDA

View Full Version : Festool Vac Retractable Cord...

Derek Arita
04-05-2007, 11:50 AM
I know this isn't a Festool forum, but I also know that there are a lot of Festool users here. Just wondering if anyone knows of a way to fit the vac with a retractable cord. That is the only thing these vacs lack and it would be awesome if there was one available.

Loren Hedahl
04-05-2007, 2:45 PM
Also the little "thingees" that stick out in the back to wind the cord on are too small.

I'd guess the reason is UL required a larger cord diameter for the US models.

Loren

Greg Ladd
04-05-2007, 6:52 PM
Derek,

If you take a look at Uncle Bob's website you will see that there is now a 'hose garage' available that sits on top of the dust extractor. It looks as if this unit is designed to hold a vacuum hose and the power cord and still provide the ability to stack Systainers on top.

While it isn't a retractible cord, it looks like a very elegant solution to the hose and cord storage problem. It also elevates a Systainer some so it might make it easier to get tools in and out without undue back strain for others like me with perenially bad low back pain.

Greg

Per Swenson
04-05-2007, 7:36 PM
Derek,

Awhile back if memory serves, some one made one and

there should be pictures on the festoolownersgroup.

Just add in the w's and the dot com.

Per

Doug Shepard
04-05-2007, 8:01 PM
That's a very interesting question. I wonder if you could salvage a cord retractor from a dead household vacuum, stick it inside a small Systainer with a hole and grommet for the cord? Hmmm? Might be an interesting project.

John Durscher
04-05-2007, 8:47 PM
A simple solution would be to use the retracting mechanism from an old trouble light - or pick one up at Sears or Pep Boys. That mechanism is about 6" in diameter and could probably be mounted on the vac. Unfortunately, I just pitched a broken light that would have worked.

John

Dave Falkenstein
04-05-2007, 10:00 PM
The Festool vac requires a 12 gauge extension cord. It would be a mistake to use anything smaller. I got the idea for a retractable cord from somewhere on a woodworking forum - can't remember where - and I made one from this cord reel:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10673&filter=20323

I bought the cord reel at my local Rockler store when I had a coupon, so the price was lower. I used a piece of melamine, mounted inside the Festool vac handle to mount the cord reel. I cut the Festool cord and spliced it into the cord reel - you could use connectors if you wanted to retain the original vac wiring.

Jim Becker
04-06-2007, 9:35 AM
Dave, be really careful with cord reels like that...theoretically, you need to completely unload the cord while it's in use to avoid potential overheating and fire. Robert Tarr posted pictures not all that long ago with evidence backing this up...

Dave Falkenstein
04-06-2007, 10:10 AM
Dave, be really careful with cord reels like that...theoretically, you need to completely unload the cord while it's in use to avoid potential overheating and fire. Robert Tarr posted pictures not all that long ago with evidence backing this up...

Thanks for the heads-up Jim. I looked at the photos. It is a bit hard to tell, but I'm pretty sure the wire used in that cord reel is 14 gauge. As I mentioned above, the wire used in my Festool vac setup is 12 gauge, and much more expensive than the run-of-the-mill 14 gauge cord reels. When I use the cord reel, the cord is typically mostly out of the reel. I'll unwind it fully in the future. Maybe I'm just lucky so far, but I think the 12 gauge reel is safer. For those that want to look at the thread Jim referenced:

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=49282

fred woltersdorf
04-06-2007, 11:22 AM
Also the little "thingees" that stick out in the back to wind the cord on are too small.

I'd guess the reason is UL required a larger cord diameter for the US models.

Loren
loren, i was tired of the tiny "thingees" also so i made a temp fix out of some plexiglass i had laying around.

Loren Hedahl
04-07-2007, 11:51 AM
loren, i was tired of the tiny "thingees" also so i made a temp fix out of some plexiglass i had laying around.

Way to go, Fred. Another thing I need to do is figure out a way to secure the little plug adapter "thingee" they stuck on the end of the cord.

I just know I'm going to need to use the vac some time and will find it's gone.

Loren

Jim Dailey
04-07-2007, 12:24 PM
I've also been thinking about adding a block and longer bolts to the Tee shaped "thingies" Loren was referring to in his post. By making the Tee "thingies" stick out farther it would allow the thicker less flexible UL approved cord to wind up & stay wound up...

jim

fred woltersdorf
04-08-2007, 1:26 PM
Way to go, Fred. Another thing I need to do is figure out a way to secure the little plug adapter "thingee" they stuck on the end of the cord.

I just know I'm going to need to use the vac some time and will find it's gone.

Loren
loren what i did was to secure the adapter on with some black electrical tape.