PDA

View Full Version : Using a spring-loaded magnetic latch on a drawer.

Dave Falkenstein
04-05-2007, 12:34 AM
I am about to build a TV stand with one drawer in the center of the stand. The stand will be placed into a niche, and will be about 10" high. The client wants an inset drawer (with the drawer front flush with the face frame), and no drawer pull. I want to use a spring-loaded magnetic latch so the drawer can be held closed by the magnet and spring-released to open, similar to this:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=135&filter=magnetic%20latch

The slides will be full extension, mounted in the center of the sides. I have used these magnetic latches on cabinet doors previously, but not on drawers. Where is the best spot to mount the magnetic latch so it works well and does not interfere with the drawer operation and/or removal. I'm thinking under the drawer bottom (out of sight) in the center. Agree???

Jason Roehl
04-05-2007, 7:03 AM
I would think that if you have enough clearance between the bottom of the drawer and the face frame, you could add a block behind the rail under the drawer, on which you could mount the plunger portion of the latch, then attach a small metal plate to the back of the face of the drawer, again, assuming the face of the drawer hangs down low enough under the bottom of the drawer.

Another option would be to not make the drawer full depth and mount the latch on the back of the cabinet, maybe at the top, and the metal plate on the back of the drawer. This may be the way to go, since a TV stand is generally pretty deep, so that would make for a very deep drawer. Sacrificing a couple inches of depth for the latch might actually be a good thing.

Dave Falkenstein
04-05-2007, 8:31 AM
...Another option would be to not make the drawer full depth and mount the latch on the back of the cabinet, maybe at the top, and the metal plate on the back of the drawer. This may be the way to go, since a TV stand is generally pretty deep, so that would make for a very deep drawer. Sacrificing a couple inches of depth for the latch might actually be a good thing.

Good idea, Jason - thanks. The TV Stand is deep - about 22". The drawer can be much less and still be plenty deep. I think I'll mount the latch in the rear as you suggested.

John Schreiber
04-05-2007, 12:10 PM
I think opening the door using one of those latches is dependent on the force of the spring to move the door. I would worry that with the weight of the drawer and its contents, the spring might not be able to do the trick.

Has anybody used a latch like that in an application like this? If not, let us know how it works.

glenn bradley
04-05-2007, 12:19 PM
Under the drawer sounds good to me. My concern is that full extesion slides that I have used would not be moved by this type of latch. Do your slides move very easily? Will the drawer be lightly loaded?

Earl Kelly
04-05-2007, 3:16 PM
Dave,

What you need is a "Drawer Pusher" it's like a touch latch but much stronger. http://www.woodzone.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=111009&Category_Code=HRD

Earl

Dave Falkenstein
04-05-2007, 5:31 PM
Dave,

What you need is a "Drawer Pusher" it's like a touch latch but much stronger. http://www.woodzone.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=111009&Category_Code=HRD

Earl

Earl - Thanks for the tip. I had not seen the Drawer Pusher previously. I just placed an order.