PDA

View Full Version : Calling all well-worn LN planes

Adriaan Schepel
04-04-2007, 11:41 PM
There is a LN #62 plane at the moment on the 'Bay and it looks like it's done some honest work in its life.

As I look at my sparkly LV and HNT Gordon planes, I wonder how they will look after a life of honest work.

I remember once seeing a pic of one of Mario Rodriguez's LN planes looking like a much-loved workhorse.

So here's your opportunity for a reverse gloat: if you've got a L-N, LV, Clifton, Knight, C&W, Gordon etc. that is looking like it's done some work, let's see it.

I look forward to handing on my 'prestige' planes to my son one day, carrying with them the patina and wear of honest work. Every time I pick up my old well-used Stanley planes, I trust my work honours the memory of the men who used them before me. Dropping my minty 4 1/2 on the concrete last year probably did little to help that cause - though I did attempt to restore some honour (Australian spelling) with a nice repair job.

Cheers,
Adriaan

P.S. Sorry if this post seems little odd or sentimental. It's Australia, you know, and Down Here all the blood runs from our brains and straight to our feet.

Ken Werner
04-05-2007, 8:51 AM
I concur. Love looking at / feeling an old tool, and trying to get a sense of the work it's done, and the hands which have used it.

Sentimental? Yup. Good.

Ken

Greg Cole
04-05-2007, 9:05 AM
I agree with the sentiments of a well used tool. Even better if you are the one who gave the tool the use. My LN's are entirely too new to post a pic of here though.... I will ask my 5 year old to post pics of them when they become his!
I am interested to see some pics from those who've taken the new off theirs long ago, I feel as though I am still breaking mine in (they've only been mine for less than 6 months).
If I think my truck is a trusted friend after having it for 10 years, I wonder what I will call my LN's in 3 decades.....?

Greg