PDA

View Full Version : Yet another DC thread

Tim Wagner
04-04-2007, 11:25 PM
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=5253

Do you all think this DC is OK? I take it the smaller the Micron rating the better. Any other things to look for? Is 1100 CFM OK for more than one machine? I only have the TS right now. I am looking at the DC-1100RCK with remote for 449.00.

Can I build a Better machine cheaper? Any Easy to follow how-too's complete with parts list's? Motor, impellar, filters, material lists? I'd be interested in building a 1500-2000 CFM unit for same amount of money or less. Or is that a reach?

Thanks, Tim

Pete Brown
04-04-2007, 11:30 PM
That was the one I looked at the most before deciding to go with a cyclone. I have a 2HP Super Dust Gorilla. The standard Gorilla is a decent price, but still 2x what the Jet is:

http://www.oneida-air.com/products/systems/gorilla/gorilla.htm

If you're buying for the long haul and can afford it, I think the Gorillas are a good buy. Otherwise, the JET with the pleated filter is a decent collector.

Pete

Tim Wagner
04-05-2007, 12:01 AM
That was the one I looked at the most before deciding to go with a cyclone. I have a 2HP Super Dust Gorilla. The standard Gorilla is a decent price, but still 2x what the Jet is:

http://www.oneida-air.com/products/systems/gorilla/gorilla.htm

If you're buying for the long haul and can afford it, I think the Gorillas are a good buy. Otherwise, the JET with the pleated filter is a decent collector.

Pete

Thats a nice one. price isn't too bad for what you get. however, with the motor resesed in between the floor joists, it would be a inch to 1/2 inch from the floor boards, and would touch them in some spots. I will consider it with others, but Id like to keep it at about 80" or less.

Burt Alcantara
04-05-2007, 5:42 PM
Tim,
I'm no expert but I did a lot of reading before getting my cyclone. First thing to know is most of the major manufacturers fudge their number considerably. What you see if more often not what you get.

All bags will pass 30 microns. It's just the nature of the material. A cyclone uses pleated filters that capture 0.5 microns or less. This is the stuff you don't see but wonder why your noses runs and you cough frequently.

Cyclones make more noise and take up all your space. I have an 82" ceiling so my choice was limited to just one - the Clearvue CV1400.

When buying a dust collector, don't think price; think health. Wood dust can lay you out for the count. This tool should be the most expensive in your shop.

Burt

Scott Taylor
04-05-2007, 11:29 PM
Another consideration is the distance and total amount of piping you plan to connect to the DC. A 1 HP DC (average of 1000 cfm) is more than enough for connection to a single machine. If you foresee lots of distance, turns, numerous blast gates and additions like separators, go for the DC that can pull more CFM. Don't always look to HP as the impellors can be very different resulting in different performance. Burt is right, double check your research and compare specs.

Anthony Anderson
04-06-2007, 12:19 AM
Tim, I have the Jet DC 1100, originally with the 30 micron bags, but just today I installed a JDS 1 micron canister. I have never had a need for more dust collector. I do have a shop that is kind of small 12' x ~23' with a room about 7 x 12. The shape is a backwards L, if that makes sense. But in any case, I have the DC plumbed to all machines with a 6" main line with 4" to the machines, and it has performed very well. Occassionally I forget and leave a blast gate open and go to another machine and open that blast gate, and it has no trouble keeping up. I expect performance to be even better with the canister. The JDS is a spun polyester(?), so I can take wash it out periodically, if needed. Maybe all the canisters are made that way, not sure, but something to consider. One advantage with the canister, that I noticed right away, was height. It is much shorter than the bags. I plan to build a floor cabinet to put the DC on and then use the cabinet for extra storage space. Did I mention that I have a small shop-have to make use of all space. Hope this helps. Regards, Bill

Ray Phillips
04-06-2007, 8:20 AM
Tim, I have the Jet 1100 without the remote. I have run piping to 5 different machines. It works great for me. I purchased the after market remote control from Woodcraft and it works great. I have a small shop 13x30. Most of my tools are on rollers therefore the machines I don't have hooked to stationary piping I can roll to the DC and hook up. Again the Jet has worked very well for me.

Tim Wagner
04-06-2007, 9:18 AM
well I did a little reading yesterday. Did a google search on the clearview 1400, did some reading there. and then ended up (in my google search) found threads here on SMC about it. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=40501

It talks about things as how filters are rated at peak filtering capacity when they are seasond, i.e. they have a dust cake built up on the filter that helps in the process. they talk about the filter passing 30 microns or larger until the seasoning has taking place. Cleaning the filter means that you have to reseason it and cleaning them is what damages them making them usable within only 5 cleanings. The only thing that has me worried is the "New" and "Freshly cleand" periods. How much dust is going to be actualy released in those times.

As you will see in some of my responces ther I was considering venting it to the outside, but I have neighbors really close by, within ten feet, (search 44107 on google satilite maps and you will see my point), and I don't want to cover them in dust or noise. the house is 3 stories high, can I run a duct 30' up the side above the roof line, with a upside down rain cap (for lack of a better term) at the top? It was suggested that with my situation that I should just keep it inside with a filter head.

thanks.:)

John Michaels
04-06-2007, 9:38 AM
I've been looking at DC systems and the Delta 50-760 seems to be a good one. Standard 1 micron bag, 1200 CFM, 115 Volt. It's also has good reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Delta-50-760-Horsepower-Vertical-Collector/dp/B00078V9KA/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-4617074-6947049?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1175866209&sr=8-1

Jim Summers
04-06-2007, 10:19 AM
I am using a Steel City 1.5DC.

Here is a link to it on their site:

http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/products_tools.cfm?section=2&category=5&tool=65200

So far it has done great. Although I don't have anything to compare to since all I was using before was a modified shopvac setup.

HTH

Paul Dwight
04-06-2007, 11:35 AM
My old DC used the same Jet cannister filter. The cannister filter gave me great suction and air flow -- for about 2-3 hours. After that, dust packed into the pleats and strangled the air flow. Using the internal flappers to beat the pleats dislodged a little of the cake but not enough, in my experience, to restore good air flow. Blowing down the filter with compressed air helped more, but air flow still never returned to what it had been with a clean filter. Plus, the pleats became clogged again after a couple of hours of use.

As an experiment, one night after I finished in the shop I used the internal paddles, blew the filter down with compressed air and let it sit overnight (so the dust could settle). The next morning, I removed the cannister filter and took it outside. By turning the filter on its side and beating gently on the outside, plus reaching inside with an old paint brush to loosen the stubborn areas, I got another 1.5 gallons of dust out of the internal pleats of the filter. If I hadn't run out of patience at that point, I probably could have gotten even more dust out of the thing. Again, that was after I used the internal flappers and after I blew it down with compressed air. And when I put the filter back on and went back to work in the shop, the filter had dust packed into the pleats again after a few hours of work.

Cannister filters are good at filtering out the fine particles and their huge surface area can help with air flow. But to keep the air flow high over any practical length of time, a cannister filter needs to be protected by a good pre-separator (like a cyclone). IMHO.

If you don't have space or money for a cyclone right now, I suggest you look seriously at the Delta 50-760 DC recommended by John. It uses a bag filter that's supposed to be very good, and a few seconds' attention at the end of each work day should be enough to keep the air flow high. I think you can buy it and a remote control for about the same price as the Jet cannister DC.

Good luck with your decision! -- Paul

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-06-2007, 12:32 PM
I wonder if a 3 foot diameter by 3 foot long wood squirrel cage impeller would move enough air and do it quietly enough to eliminate the racket of the usual DC system.

Big yeah but then so is any decent DC system.

Al Killian
04-06-2007, 5:04 PM
You could put hte DC in a small closet with fine filters in the door to filter the air even more that is comeing out of the exhuast air.