PDA

View Full Version : Any Tour Takers? ADDED Tour w/pics

Christopher K. Hartley
04-04-2007, 10:17 PM
Hey, I was thinking of posting my shop remake in anticipation of Beauty but I don't want to bore everyone. Anyone interested?:confused:

Pete Jordan
04-04-2007, 10:38 PM
For a guy with a bad back and lathe not coming till November, you sure are busy! I would love to see the update.

Roy Griggs
04-04-2007, 10:43 PM
Chris,
I always love seeing other peoples shops....

BTW, a while back I got a shop tour section started on OldToolsShop.com and I'm sure, if you would be willing, it would be a welcome addition there!
roy

Pat Salter
04-04-2007, 11:24 PM
we must be already bored if we're not turning anything so sen them on!

Jonathon Spafford
04-05-2007, 1:53 AM
Let's see it! I like seeing other peoples shops! ;)

Mark Pruitt
04-05-2007, 7:16 AM
Well? Where is it Hartley?:mad: :p

Paul Zerjay
04-05-2007, 8:23 AM
I always like to see other guys shops. I'm pretty happy with my set-up, but an unthought of tweak here and there is a good thing. Usually I end up smacking myself on the forehead saying,"why didn't I think of that."

Christopher K. Hartley
04-05-2007, 8:33 AM
OK, first let me say thanks; it gets my eyes of the boredom and let's me do something that isn't too strenuous. Ill first show the overall shop and then show some close-up detail and describe my thinking behind it. My philosophy is. if I have something at home that is no longer being used and it will fill a purpose in what I want to do, then, can I make it work practically.

In the first pic you see the side of my blank storage shelves. I use this old monster desk for a bench and it has four great drawers. Later it will probably be replaced when I get a good table or miter saw. I just haven't decided which I will go with and that is probably a year or so off anyway. You can see that I am starting to get some materials together for Vacuum Drums and I have my mailing boxes available. My daughter got me the Craftsman chair for Christmas and I really love it for sanding.
Here is the "BIG VOID", Beauty's new home. I plan to position her length wise rather than across the space. Since the shop is devoted to spinning I want to take advantage of open space around her. My biggest issue now is wall space, as you can see it is pretty full. I removed my old wide benches on the side and went for a shallow and long bench across the back.The empty space above the bench is where the Bowl Steady will hang when not in use. I also intend to put a filter box on the back of the fan to trap even more dust. I will address the home-brew dust catcher for the lathe in a little bit with a detail pic.
All I can say here is that probably the next big change will be the band saw this one is just too small. The disk sander can not be lifted(for obvious reasons) but I need to build a stand for it. The DC is already run to accommodate it.:)

Christopher K. Hartley
04-05-2007, 8:53 AM
The DC hookup is pretty simple. I used a combo of PVC(most on hand) and flex hose. I did have to buy some Blast Gates. I am using one 4" gate on each of the large hoses and a 2 1/2" gate for each of the Band Saw and Disk Sander. Works great!:)
The DC for the lathe is fabricated out of a number of things.
The catcher is a 90 degree 6" to 4" PVC
The Stand is an old cast iron umbrella stand(very heavy)
the bracket is from an handicapped toilet seat the post is 1 5/8" copper pipe
the cap is a hole saw that I had a duplicate of and fit perfectly.
The catcher will move up and down using some bolts, rubber washers, steel washers and plastic tightening nuts from a walker arm brace bracket. It also swivels. and raises and lowers the height.
I will be painting the entire assembly

Christopher K. Hartley
04-05-2007, 8:59 AM
My tool line is pretty pathetic right now but that will grow.

I am using my old HF tools to regrind for specific purposes. The small wood chisels work great for lidded boxes, detail work and pens. My measuring tools are easy to get at.
My lathe accessories are ready to go when "Beauty" arrives.

Christopher K. Hartley
04-05-2007, 9:09 AM
This is a shot of a Jacussi Pump Motor that I have two of. The shaft is not a standard 1/2" or 5/8" so Ill have to figure out what to do about some arbors for my buffing wheels and bowl buffs. Any Ideas would be appreciated. The motors are 220V and duel speed so I can set them for the 1700 range and they should work fine. I like the idea of them hanging off the bench front for ease of use. I will be wiring in switches on each one.

Mark Pruitt
04-05-2007, 9:10 AM
That's a creative setup for lathe DC. I would probably want an extension coming off of the catcher, to deal with smaller turnings.

I can understand the urge to replace the bandsaw. My 14" is feeling terribly inadequate and I'm wanting one of these (http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0514X), but at this point the consequence would likely be either death or divorce and I don't want either one.:eek: Gotta wait a while to buy that saw!

Christopher K. Hartley
04-05-2007, 9:10 AM
This is the last one I promise! Just my Blank Shelves...:)

Greg Cole
04-05-2007, 9:19 AM
Funny, to me it seems the "blank shelves" appear to be well stocked!

Greg

Jon Shively
04-05-2007, 9:25 AM
Very nice shop tour. Thank you for sharing. Hope the back is healing according to plan.

Christopher K. Hartley
04-05-2007, 9:27 AM
That's a creative setup for lathe DC. I would probably want an extension coming off of the catcher, to deal with smaller turnings.

I can understand the urge to replace the bandsaw. My 14" is feeling terribly inadequate and I'm wanting one of these (http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0514X), but at this point the consequence would likely be either death or divorce and I don't want either one.:eek: Gotta wait a while to buy that saw!Hey, if the conquences are that bad for just a little more you can have this: http://www.lagunatools.com/lt20se.htm :D :D Keep her on your good side, the older we get the more we appreciate them.

Christopher K. Hartley
04-05-2007, 9:57 AM
Mark, I know it's killing you so here it is...NEVER HAPPEN!!:D :D :D

Bart Leetch
04-05-2007, 10:04 AM
Nice shop Christopher.

You really need a little white paint at least on the ceiling.

You won't believe the difference.

Christopher K. Hartley
04-05-2007, 10:20 AM
That's a creative setup for lathe DC. I would probably want an extension coming off of the catcher, to deal with smaller turnings.Mark, I'm kind of intrieged by what your idea is; can you be more specific? Thanks.:)

Christopher K. Hartley
04-05-2007, 10:23 AM
Nice shop Christopher.

You really need a little white paint at least on the ceiling.

You won't believe the difference.Bart, as you probably noticed I only have a partial ceiling in and do intend to complete it when I have time. I like your Idea of white to brighten it up some. I really wouldn't have thought of that. Thanks.:)

Pete Jordan
04-05-2007, 10:26 AM

I can understand the urge to replace the bandsaw. My 14" is feeling terribly inadequate and I'm wanting one of these (http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0514X), but at this point the consequence would likely be either death or divorce and I don't want either one.:eek: Gotta wait a while to buy that saw!

Looks good Chris!

I bought this saw: http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5220 and have been very happy with it. I have seen it on sale for $950.

I like the space for your imaginary lathe:D

Jonathon Spafford
04-05-2007, 11:34 AM
Looks like you got a great set-up there... thanks for posting it! Hope you heal up real quick !!!!

Brodie Brickey
04-05-2007, 11:36 AM
My tool line is pretty pathetic right now but that will grow.
I am using my old HF tools to regrind for specific purposes. The small wood chisels work great for lidded boxes, detail work and pens. My measuring tools are easy to get at.
My lathe accessories are ready to go when "Beauty" arrives.

Chris,

You may want to have more tools, but you've got them set up pretty nice. Mine are a much smaller selection. Did you put foam behind the tools or is that a cloth backing you have on the racks?

Its a great space and adding white to the walls will make it much brighter. About the only thing missing (besides the lathe) is a desk lamp to mount on/near the lathe for close up lighting on detail work.

A great shop space. I wish I had as much space, unfortunately I'm in a 17x13 single car Model A garage sharing with a washer and dryer.

Mark Pruitt
04-05-2007, 11:37 AM
This is the last one I promise! Just my Blank Shelves...:)
They don't look very blank to me.....
:p :p :p

Mark Pruitt
04-05-2007, 11:41 AM
Mark, I know it's killing you so here it is...NEVER HAPPEN!!:D :D :D
ROFLOL!!!!

Mark Pruitt
04-05-2007, 11:51 AM
Mark, I'm kind of intrieged by what your idea is; can you be more specific? Thanks.:)
With the DC setup I'm currently using at the lathe (http://www.grizzly.com/products/G2754), I'm finding that the thing doesn't get quite close enough to capture all of the dust created by sanding. For me it will be an easy solution, all I have to do is get a 4" dryer flex hose and use it in place of the yellow hood. Since your opening is 8" it might require a little more imagination. But then OTOH your Robust's design might be such that what you have could be slid right up to within a couple inches of the spindle if needed. Actually I could do that on my 3520 if I hadn't installed a lower shelf, but that shelf is quite useful.

Mark Pruitt
04-05-2007, 11:56 AM
Looks good Chris!

I bought this saw: http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5220 and have been very happy with it. I have seen it on sale for $950.

I like the space for your imaginary lathe:D
Pete, I've looked at that saw and I'll admit it's attractive, but after I got burned so badly by a Rikon Mini last October I swore them off. I'm very glad that you're happy with their 18" bandsaw, and if I ever reach the point of assurance that they have improved their quality control I'll seriously reconsider it for my next BS purchase.

Bill Wyko
04-05-2007, 12:13 PM
Mark, I know it's killing you so here it is...NEVER HAPPEN!!:D :D :D THATS CRUEL:eek:

Christopher K. Hartley
04-05-2007, 12:14 PM
Chris,

You may want to have more tools, but you've got them set up pretty nice. Mine are a much smaller selection. Did you put foam behind the tools or is that a cloth backing you have on the racks?

Its a great space and adding white to the walls will make it much brighter. About the only thing missing (besides the lathe) is a desk lamp to mount on/near the lathe for close up lighting on detail work.

A great shop space. I wish I had as much space, unfortunately I'm in a 17x13 single car Model A garage sharing with a washer and dryer.Brodie, one box has cloth backing and the other is foam. It is the backing that came in the wooden boxes with the tools.

As a matter of fact there is one still in the box waiting for "Beauty". It can't be seen but is on the shelves in the left corner. The Robust has a built in receptacle for the lamp to be placed into (see pic).

Thanks,:)

Bill Wyko
04-05-2007, 12:18 PM
Christopher PM me your address and I'll send you a blueprint of a segmented piece. It's at least worth a look and it's easier than it seems. The blueprint will have every bit of information you need to make it. At least it'll give you some lite work to do. Then by the time beauty gets home she'll be ready to take for a spin.;)

Tony De Masi
04-05-2007, 12:46 PM
Really like the shop set up. And the PM puts the finishing touch on it just perfectly. I guess you can cancel your other order. :D

Keep moving and a speedy recovery to you.

Tony

Steve Schlumpf
04-05-2007, 2:13 PM
Thanks for the shop tour Chris! Looks like you have plenty of room to grow! I really like your 'blank' storage area. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your new lathe in the shop!

Bart Leetch
04-05-2007, 2:34 PM
Christopher

Is that a 10' or 12" band-saw if so you may want to keep it when you get a bigger saw. I have an old 12" 1950's Craftsman & a Grizzly G1019 which put a riser block on along with a 1 1/2 HP motor that I had in the shop. The smaller saw is great with a 1/4" blade I have a 1/2" blade on the 14" saw for re-saw & bowl cutting.

Dennis Peacock
04-05-2007, 2:35 PM
Nice tour Chris. All you need now is the mustard machine in there and lots of lathe curls laying around. :D

Christopher K. Hartley
04-05-2007, 2:37 PM
Christopher

Is that a 10' or 12" band-saw if so you may want to keep it when you get a bigger saw. I have an old 12" 1950's Craftsman & a Grizzly G1019 which put a riser block on along with a 1 1/2 HP motor that I had in the shop. The smaller saw is great with a 1/4" blade I have a 1/2" blade on the 14" saw for re-saw & bowl cutting.
Bart, it is a 12", I don't know much about riser blocks and the like.:)

Christopher K. Hartley
04-05-2007, 2:39 PM
Nice tour Chris. All you need now is the mustard machine in there and lots of lathe curls laying around. :DCut that out Dennis!!:eek: Don't become another Mark!:D :D Hurry up Brent, these guys are drounding me in yellow stuff!:eek: :D :D

Christopher K. Hartley
04-05-2007, 2:46 PM
With the DC setup I'm currently using at the lathe (http://www.grizzly.com/products/G2754), I'm finding that the thing doesn't get quite close enough to capture all of the dust created by sanding. For me it will be an easy solution, all I have to do is get a 4" dryer flex hose and use it in place of the yellow hood. Since your opening is 8" it might require a little more imagination. But then OTOH your Robust's design might be such that what you have could be slid right up to within a couple inches of the spindle if needed. Actually I could do that on my 3520 if I hadn't installed a lower shelf, but that shelf is quite useful.I just figured out that with this one I can use a standard 6"(I was incorrect about 8") to 4" reducer then if I need to go lower I can do the same and reduce to 2". They will just push together and are pretty snug. They will work like attachments on a Vacuum Cleaner. They will also extend out a bit so I can get real close to the work if necessary. Thanks for making me think this one through.:)

Robert McGowen
04-05-2007, 3:08 PM
Nice shop tour. I really like the wood racks. You just need to throw some indiscriminant sawdust around so we won't think you cleaned it up just to take pictures. ;)

Phil Powell
04-05-2007, 3:23 PM
Chris,
You'll just have to disregard what these foreign lathe owners are saying.
I'm guessing jealousy is raising her ugly head. You've bought a great lathe.
I've had my Robust 25 for going on two years and I'm still amazed at the
quality and power of my lathe. Remember, mustard belongs to a hot dog.

Christopher K. Hartley
04-05-2007, 4:16 PM
Chris,
You'll just have to disregard what these foreign lathe owners are saying.
I'm guessing jealousy is raising her ugly head. You've bought a great lathe.
I've had my Robust 25 for going on two years and I'm still amazed at the
quality and power of my lathe. Remember, mustard belongs to a hot dog.Thanks Phil, my sentiments exactly!:) (I need a different color smiley face here):D :D :D

Christopher K. Hartley
04-05-2007, 4:18 PM
Nice shop tour. I really like the wood racks. You just need to throw some indiscriminant sawdust around so we won't think you cleaned it up just to take pictures. ;)Bobby...you don't want me bring a clean Lady into a dirty ole shop do you?:confused: :D :D

Allen Schmid
04-06-2007, 7:57 AM
Chris,
Nice job with the layout and functionality, it looks like the room is just begging for Beauty to show up and fill some open space. I like the space for your blanks, easy to see what's on hand, something I have to work on. Hope your back is doing better and that you are through the worst of it. Take care and looking forward to an updated shop picture once Beauty is there.
Allen