PDA

View Full Version : NOW I'm done!

Kevin Gerstenecker
12-23-2003, 11:11 PM
Question of the day..........is a Woodworker ever REALLY done for Christmas? I thought I was finished, until my Daughter, Mom and Wife all had "small requests". So, off the the shop I go yesterday afternoon and evening, and I turned some "small" items..............after all, they all said they were "Small Requests"! :D These were turned from Maple, Cherry and Oak. The small bowl is Hedge Maple, the larger bowl is Red Oak, and the 2 small boxes are Cherry. All but the Hedge Maple was pulled from the Firewood Stack. ;) All were finished with Antique Oil, and buffed this evening using my Beall system. Sizes are: Maple Bowl, 3" diam. and 2" tall. Oak Bowl, 4 3/4" diam. and 2 1/2" tall. Cherry Box with round top, 2 1/2 diam. and 3" tall. Cherry Box with Finial Top, 2 1/4" diam. and 5" tall. Although these were enjoyable, there is nothing like being under the gun at Christmas. Oh well, at least I had a great time with my Daughter in the shop while I turned these. (The small Finial topped box was for her, and she designed it on the fly, and I obeyed her commands, like a good Daddy does.) :D Now, I really AM done for Christmas.............I'll start cutting cords off of tools if I have to! :eek: Thanks for taking a look.........it is as enjoyable to be able to share my work with everyone as it is to accomplish it! :)
Merry Christmas to the entire Sawmill Creek Family!

John Miliunas
12-23-2003, 11:22 PM
Kripes there, man! You're just a regular dynamo on that spinny thing, ain't 'ya?! :D Nice job on all the pieces. I should have some free time over the break here and may even fire mine up for a small bowl or something. Keep up the great work! AND, have yourself a very Merry Christmas! :cool:

Kevin Gerstenecker
12-23-2003, 11:51 PM
Thanks John.................I appreciate the kind words. You and your family have a wonderful Christmas and a Healthy and Happy New Year as well. I need to let the lathe cool off for a while..................and besides that...............I'm TIRED! :D

George Grubaugh
12-24-2003, 12:37 AM
Your work on the spinny thing is impressive. I've never used one, can a guy teach himself at home?
Thanks for inspiring us with your fine work.
Merry Christmas to all!

Dennis Peacock
12-24-2003, 1:38 AM
Well Kevin....I'm glad your done too.....that is a lot of work and I bet you are tied....!!!! Those roundy things look really nice. One of these days I will get the hang of working on the lathe. I guess I just need to 'speriment with technique more to get the tool control down like you.

Thanks for sharing and take a well desired rest. Merry Christmas to you and all of SMC as well.

Todd Burch
12-24-2003, 1:52 AM
Kevin, nice work! I like the soft grain of that hedge maple. Never heard of that kind of wood before. Thanks for posting!

Todd.

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
12-24-2003, 8:02 AM
Question of the day..........is a Woodworker ever REALLY done for Christmas? I thought I was finished, until my Daughter, Mom and Wife all had "small requests" ...
Merry Christmas to the entire Sawmill Creek Family!

Those are some great looking "last minute" spinny things! I especially like the box with the finial "done on the fly" at your daughter's request. Excellent work. Now if you can not think about all of those things you want to try after Christmas ... h-m-m-m-m-m. Have a great and safe holiday to you and yours. If you decide you want to do an arrow pen, PM me ... there are a couple of tips I learned the hard way that I can pass on.

Ron

Terry Quiram
12-24-2003, 11:00 AM
Kevin

Nice boxes, they have a very pleasing shape and that Maple bowl is a beauty. Did you ever add another set of pulleys on that lathe?

Terry

Kevin Gerstenecker
12-24-2003, 11:34 AM
Terry, thanks for the kind words........that Maple is a joy to turn........not even I can hardly screw it up! :D No, I am still spinnin' the Lathe just as I received it from you. Not sure what you mean about the Pulleys? It has been working fine, and I hardly ever crank it up beyond the second speed step on the pulley. It maybe nice to be able to slow it down some for sanding, but so far, I have made do. Sure is a nice heavy unit.........I am so glad you made the offer to me on it. Been having a blast ever since................. :)