PDA

View Full Version : Just for Fun Vacuum

Christopher K. Hartley
04-04-2007, 6:29 PM
You gota see these stats and price! He,,,he...he!http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92475 :D :eek: :eek:

Brodie Brickey
04-04-2007, 7:29 PM
So Chris, you ordering one? Can you imagine, mounting a really nice piece of natural edge burl using a vac chuck and watching it sail against the wall and break into a couple pieces after hours of work and strain? That would be funny if it happened on NYW. I don't think I could stand it if it happened to me.

Kurt Rosenzweig
04-04-2007, 7:51 PM
MAN!!! That's cheaper then sandpaper!:D How much are they're face guards? LOL!

Jim Becker
04-04-2007, 8:29 PM
Where's the little tube you suck on to create the vacuum?? :D :D :D Serously, you have to wonder about how well a ten buck pump will work, especially when your face is "this close" to the spinning thing being held fast by said vacuum pump's efforts.

Christopher K. Hartley
04-04-2007, 8:50 PM
So Chris, you ordering one? Can you imagine, mounting a really nice piece of natural edge burl using a vac chuck and watching it sail against the wall and break into a couple pieces after hours of work and strain? That would be funny if it happened on NYW. I don't think I could stand it if it happened to me.Not me already have my Gast! For 10 bucks it would be cool if someone experimented.:eek: :)

Christopher K. Hartley
04-04-2007, 8:52 PM
MAN!!! That's cheaper then sandpaper!:D How much are they're face guards? LOL!I've picked up face guards for less than $5. The nice part is they aren't like the expensive ones they really work and last!:eek: :)

Christopher K. Hartley
04-04-2007, 8:54 PM
Where's the little tube you suck on to create the vacuum?? :D :D :D Serously, you have to wonder about how well a ten buck pump will work, especially when your face is "this close" to the spinning thing being held fast by said vacuum pump's efforts.I hear ya! But then you wonder what if it actually worked on small stuff?;)

Jim Underwood
04-04-2007, 10:46 PM
It's a venturi type "pump".

This means that it's not a pump at all, just passages designed to create vacuum in a certain spot.

So if it "fails" it's a function of atmospheric pressure going away (and then you've got bigger problems than a broken bowl:D ) or your air compressor failing.

A bigger concern I'd have is whether or not 4.2 CFM was adequate or not.

Anthony Welch
04-05-2007, 1:55 AM
These have been found to adequately pull a vaccuum on spunky woods using "wood hardeners". Also to degas polyester resin and aluminite to cast snakeskin blanks and other material.

But I think you guys knew this:rolleyes: , just making fun of us that have these pumps only for this reason and thinking we'd try to hold a block of wood spinning >1000 rpm's w/o it putting at least a knot in the middle of our foreheads.:D

Bill Boehme
04-05-2007, 3:57 PM
.........Also to degas polyester resin and aluminite to cast snakeskin blanks and other material.........
It can also be used to extract the oil out of snakes which can then be sold for medicinal purposes.

The venturi systems are OK if you do not need much more than about 20 in-Hg, but as the amount of leakage through a bowl goes up, the maximum vacuum capability drops rapidly. I am not sure where they conjured up the 28.5 in-Hg, but that is optimistic to say the least and actually is much closer to outright lying. Besides, that certainly is not adequate for evacuating an air conditioning system. You area also supposed to hold vacuum on an air conditioning system for at least an hour to "boil off" any residual moisture molecules that are bound to other materials.

Does any typical woodturner own an air compressor that is capable of an hour of continuous running or for that matter continuous running for only the length of time that it takes to vacuum chuck a bowl and finish off the bottom? Answer: you might do it, but it is severely overworking your consumer grade compressor.

Bill