PDA

View Full Version : Material question from newbie

George Elston
04-04-2007, 5:22 PM
First of all I want to thank everybody here for all the great information in this forum. I have been reading the posts every night for the since I joined a few days ago and I wish I had found you guys sooner. We have purchased a VersaLaser 200 30 Wt. as a starter machine, and in my spare time before it is delivered (next month), I have been scouring the area for clients and suppliers. I found an interesting manufacturer today while looking for Black Marble. When I visited the showroom they had black marble with very light viening and I asked if they had anything pure black. No they said, but we can make it for you. The product is actually a polymer, but it looks just like marble. When you tap it with your fingernail it does go clack instead on ting, but other than that it is identical. I was thinking this might actually engrave better than stone. Has anybody seen this or tried to etch on it.

Thanks

George

Bill Cunningham
04-04-2007, 8:32 PM
The black marble with sparce light veins is usually found (in Canada anyway) with the name Nero Marquena black.. If you sort through tiles, you will no doubt find some that are almost pure black.. As for the polymer, don't expect much.. It will probably make a great floor, but not too useful for etching. Polymers are a plastic, and no doubt the colour black will go right through it, so a black tile will yeld a black engraving that would have to be colour filled to see the image.. Most all marbles will turn white when the beam hits them, so if you plan your layout around your tile the 'marbling' won't cause much problem.. I get good results on H.D. 'brown' marble, I just try to match the areas so I don't get something weird when a vein crosses the image. Sometimes it can add some character to the work..

Belinda Barfield
04-05-2007, 7:19 AM
Welcome to the Creek George! The folks here are really helpful and patient with us "newbies".:)

I PM'd you regarding black marble.

Brian Robison
04-05-2007, 8:19 AM
I engraved some "cultured marble" a few weeks back. It engraves pretty deep into the product. It might be useful for something, but not really as a tile after engraved.
Look for absolute black granite.