PDA

View Full Version : Picnic Table plans

Lee Schierer
04-04-2007, 4:56 PM
Does anyone have plans for a picnic table with separate benches that is made such that the frame is treated lumber and the top surfaces are the composite lumber? I don't want to invent a design if it has already been done.

glenn bradley
04-04-2007, 6:18 PM
I'm sorry Lee. I've found a bunch as you probably have but not with seperate benches.

Dan Drager
04-04-2007, 6:22 PM
Lee,

Seems to me any benchs and Table that is sturdy, comfortable, will withstand being outside and you can have a picnic on, is by definition a "Picnic Table". Go with what you're good at or what looks good to you.

And make sure you post pics when you're done.

Pete Brown
04-04-2007, 6:27 PM
I agree, go dive in.

I do want to add that composite lumber has very little support strength. You'll need to brace it more than if you had used treated lumber, otherwise you'll have a folding bench :eek:

It is a lot nicer on the food and on your butt, though (no chemicals and no splinters) :)

Pete

Jim Becker
04-04-2007, 8:08 PM
Lee...one program note about the composites on the seats and top. If the table is going to be in the sun, the composites tend to get very hot...an alternative might be to use white oak, either for just the horizontal surfaces or for the whole thing. It's weather resistant and turns to a very nice and pleasant grey. Many park benches are made of it as an alternative to teak...at a fraction of the cost.

Lee Schierer
04-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Thanks guys, I'm aware of the structural limitations of composite materials. that is why I am looking for plans for a timber frame, composite top table and benches. Guess I'll have to design something that meets the need. the table should be easier than the benches. Weight may also be an problem.