PDA

View Full Version : How to warm up white ash?

Peter Lyon
12-23-2003, 10:49 PM
I'm nearing completion of a frame and panel style desk that I'm building out of white Ash. Although I've found the wood wonderful to work with, it definately lacks something in the color department.

Have any of you had any positive experiences with either stain or oils when finishing this type of wood? FWIW, I'm not looking for someting too dark (like walnut, for example).

Richard Gillespie
12-23-2003, 11:48 PM
Though I'm not sure that the bed I just finished is white ash, it is ash. I just used gloss varnish on it. I'll try to attach a picture that shows some of the beautiful grain. The picture shows the bed set up with my son, his wife and their daughter laying on it. It was a present to them and I just delivered it to them two weeks ago.

Todd Burch
12-24-2003, 1:56 AM
Richard, that fine looking bed looks like what ash. Most ash that is marketed is white ash.

Peter, amber shellac really warms up ash. I've used it on shaker oval boxes before. 3 or 4 coats of a heavy cut.

Todd.

Mike Leonard
12-24-2003, 6:16 AM
Peter, I use white ash as well, especially around the shop for various things. Mainly because I get it pretty cheap. I built a couple of small cabinets a few months ago for work and stained it with ZAR Teak finish. They look really good, not to dark and not to light.

Todd, I have never used shellac but was looking at some yesterday at Woodcraft. Can you tell me the difference in finale color between the garnet and the blonde? Any recommendations/differences on brand? I am thinking about making some picture frames out of walnut and mahogany and want to maintain the natural beauty of the wood.

Mike

Todd Burch
12-24-2003, 9:10 AM
Hi Mike.

I've used a lot of blonde and a lot of orange/amber, and I have some buttonlac flakes awaiting use, but I've not used or dealt with garnet. I understand that garnet is darker than the orange stuff I have used. I bet another member here (or two) can post a comparison picure faster than you could dissolve some flakes of either though! Maybe by going to www.shellac.net you can cruise around their site and get some ideas.

Sorry I couldn't offer better comment, but I just haven't used it. Todd.

George Summers
12-24-2003, 12:33 PM
I have made two cribs for both grandkids out of ash. I planned them so that there were really prominant cathedrals on the end panels. I used Minwax cherry gel stain. It really popped the cathedrals. It is not too awful dark, but if you wanted it a little lighter, you cluld wipe on and wipe off and not leave it on as long as I did.

George

Marc Hills
12-24-2003, 12:41 PM
Following on George's comment, I've built a number of projects out of clear poplar (yes, it does exist), but also wanted to add a bit of warmth to the light tone. I've had good success with a Minwax gel stain called "Honey Maple". Very subtle hue. If you forget to wipe it all off, it can be scraped or sanded, because it doesn't penetrate very far.

Hope this helps.