PDA

View Full Version : another dw735 question.

William Nimmo
04-04-2007, 4:25 PM
My planer often gets hung up and does not feed the wood through on its own. Recently I was planing some recycled 3x 6 redwood, dry with no nails or knots. First pass it gluides right through. Next pass, with only minor lowering of the blades, gets hung up and needs to be pushed through. Sometimes its a major battle. Sometimes I will make a second pass on a cut without lowering the blades and that cut needs help. Thinking I must need to calibrate something , but what?

Steve Kohn
04-04-2007, 4:28 PM
Clean the rollers, make sure the blades are sharp, and wax the table.

However, 1st thing is to unplug the machine.

Jason Beam
04-04-2007, 4:37 PM
Yep - grab some mineral spirits and clean off your rollers. They get slick over time and need to be cleaned up.

Good sharp blades will introduce far less resistance and waxing the table could never hurt, ither. Steve pretty much has ya covered :)

Ed Costello
04-04-2007, 4:40 PM
I had the exact same experience. It is time to flip or change the blades

Cheers,
Ed

glenn bradley
04-04-2007, 5:12 PM
As others stated, sounds simple but, clean your rollers and wax your table. Everything should be OK.

Pete Brown
04-04-2007, 5:23 PM
My planer often gets hung up and does not feed the wood through on its own. Recently I was planing some recycled 3x 6 redwood, dry with no nails or knots. First pass it gluides right through. Next pass, with only minor lowering of the blades, gets hung up and needs to be pushed through. Sometimes its a major battle. Sometimes I will make a second pass on a cut without lowering the blades and that cut needs help. Thinking I must need to calibrate something , but what?

I have a 735 as well.

Unless the board has uneven thickness, it sounds like the blades are dull.

First, make sure your board has a consistent thickness all the way along the length. On some particularly varying rough boards, I had to push them through to clear the "dips"

I have to flip or change the blades constantly. There are other threads on this. Early on I went too long and the boards simply would not feed anymore. They burnt and the motor actually stalled and popped the breaker. That's what I get for "just one more board" :)

Pete

William Nimmo
04-04-2007, 5:59 PM
Machine is new, so rollers are clean , table is not waxed yet but will be any minute, and I guess it is possible I dulled the blades learning to use the machine so I will flip them.
Thanks for the help'

Rick Moyer
04-04-2007, 6:37 PM
What's the serial number? How long ago was it made? It could be that it is an early model affected by bad sprockets.

William Nimmo
04-04-2007, 8:46 PM
ser number is 200633-ct133613
Bought it at HD only because I had 500 in gift cards. I like to go to an independant but did not this time.

Rick Moyer
04-04-2007, 9:02 PM
OK, shouldn't be the sprockets. Probably what others have said.

glenn bradley
04-04-2007, 9:28 PM
"Machine is new, so rollers are clean "

Just a thought. What were you planing to practice on? Could it have been oily, previously waxed, etc.? The rollers don't have to look dirty to be "dirty". Won't hurt to wipe them down with some mineral spirits or denatured alcohol just to be sure. My 734 did this and I can't say whether the roller cleaning or the wax fixed it as I did both but she's good now with routine maintenance.

William Nimmo
04-04-2007, 11:05 PM
I brought some 3/4 oak down to 1/2 and and just got used to using it with scraps. Then I started cleaning up some recycled redwood that had been painted. It still runs the board through nice the first cut. Then it starts to bind up after the initial cut. Kind of makes me think it might be cutting unevenly and then on the next cut the board is not flat so therefore the problem. I will check the knives tommorrow and see if they are aligned correctly and still sharp.

Pete Brown
04-04-2007, 11:06 PM
I brought some 3/4 oak down to 1/2 and and just got used to using it with scraps. Then I started cleaning up some recycled redwood that had been painted. It still runs the board through nice the first cut. Then it starts to bind up after the initial cut. Kind of makes me think it might be cutting unevenly and then on the next cut the board is not flat so therefore the problem. I will check the knives tommorrow and see if they are aligned correctly and still sharp.

Did you run it through with the paint on it? If so, the knives are likely toast, or at least all gummed up. The rollers may be too.

I've found that really nasty wood goes through better if you belt-sand off the yuck before letting the knives have at it.

Pete

William Nimmo
04-04-2007, 11:15 PM
The paint is like dust. It is really old and comes flying off with ro sander. I will check again but the rollers look clean and again the first cut on a piece of wood works fine. It is when I go to the next cut, even a 1/8 th turn of the wheel , I start to bind up.

Pete Brown
04-04-2007, 11:20 PM
The paint is like dust. It is really old and comes flying off with ro sander. I will check again but the rollers look clean and again the first cut on a piece of wood works fine. It is when I go to the next cut, even a 1/8 th turn of the wheel , I start to bind up.

That's why I was wondering. The first cut, which involves the paint, works fine. Once the rollers get all dusted or the blades get all gummed or whatever is going on there, then the subsequent cuts get difficult.

There's no guarantee that this is the problem, but it struck me as a red flag.

Pete

Jules Dominguez
04-05-2007, 11:17 PM
Uneven wood thickness, or a bowed board run through the planer with the concave side down, can cause a jam.

William Nimmo
04-06-2007, 8:59 PM
There should be an hour meter on these tools. After taking the unit apart I found really dirty rollers and blades that look like they have been through a war. Then I started remembering the various jobs I ran through the machine before this most recent. Duh..
Fresh coat of wax on the table, rotated knives and clean rollers and what a difference. Thanks for everyones help.